Re: SiteCatalyst - How to make sure Custom Link Tracking is firing

  • Lorenzo Nannini
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
      My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
      If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.

      This is the code:
      s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return false;

      This is the error:
      SyntaxError: return not in function

      Any clue on what I am doing wrong?

      Thanks
      Lorenzo

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@...> wrote:

      > Is your code has the following format:
      > s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
      > On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi Alla,
      > >
      > > Thanks for your reply!
      > >
      > > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
      > > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
      > > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
      > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
      > > ).
      > >
      > > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
      > >
      > > Any other clue on this?
      > > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
      > >
      > > Thank you very much.
      > > Lorenzo
      > >
      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I believe Katy is right. Use 'this' instead of 'true'.

      > > of the

    • VaBeachKevin
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
        Both of these should work fine. If you want to externalize the function, try something like this:

        function trackMe(t){
        s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
        s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
        s.prop51='something';
        s.events='event4';
        s.tl(t,'o','something',null,'navigate');
        }

        Or if you would rather have it all in one spot, this works as well:

        Kevin Rogers
        @VaBeachKevin

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:

        > My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
        > If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.
        >
        > This is the code:
        > s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return false;
        >
        > This is the error:
        > SyntaxError: return not in function
        >
        > Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Lorenzo
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is your code has the following format:
        > > s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
        > > On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > Hi Alla,
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for your reply!
        > > >
        > > > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
        > > > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
        > > > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
        > > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
        > > > ).
        > > >
        > > > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
        > > >
        > > > Any other clue on this?
        > > > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
        > > >
        > > > Thank you very much.
        > > > Lorenzo
        > > >
        > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>

        > > > of the

      • Katy Norris
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
          Random question, Kevin -- does it matter that the link type is set to 'o' (other) instead of 'e' (exit link)?

          Just curious.

          Thanks!

          Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
          331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com

          From: VaBeachKevin <vabeachkevin@...<mailto:vabeachkevin@...>>
          Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:49 AM
          To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>
          Subject: [webanalytics] Re: SiteCatalyst - How to make sure Custom Link Tracking is firing

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:

          > My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
          > If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.
          >
          > This is the code:
          > s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return false;
          >
          > This is the error:
          > SyntaxError: return not in function
          >
          > Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Lorenzo
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is your code has the following format:
          > > s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
          > > On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > Hi Alla,
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for your reply!
          > > >
          > > > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
          > > > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
          > > > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
          > > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
          > > > ).
          > > >
          > > > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
          > > >
          > > > Any other clue on this?
          > > > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
          > > >
          > > > Thank you very much.
          > > > Lorenzo
          > > >
          > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>

          > > > of the

        • Sugam Khokhani
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
            'o' means it is a custom link
            'e' means exit link
            'd' means file download link

            These three are bucketed in the respective reports within Sitecatalyst
            (Custom links, Exit Links, File Downloads)

            Cheers,
            Sugam

          • VaBeachKevin
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
              And that's really the only difference. Which report will they appear in when looking for them in SiteCatalyst. All three will capture the data just fine.

              Kevin Rogers
              @VaBeachKevin

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sugam Khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...> wrote:

              > 'o' means it is a custom link
              > 'e' means exit link
              > 'd' means file download link
              >
              > These three are bucketed in the respective reports within Sitecatalyst
              > (Custom links, Exit Links, File Downloads)
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Sugam
              >

              > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Katy Norris <knorris@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Random question, Kevin -- does it matter that the link type is set to 'o'
              > > (other) instead of 'e' (exit link)?
              > >
              > > Just curious.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >

              > > Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C
              > > 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
              > > 331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com |
              > > ParticipantMedia.com
              > >
              > > From: VaBeachKevin <vabeachkevin@...<mailto:vabeachkevin@...>>

              > > Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:49 AM
              > >
              > > To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <
              > > webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>
              > > Subject: [webanalytics] Re: SiteCatalyst - How to make sure Custom Link
              > > Tracking is firing
              > >

              > > Both of these should work fine. If you want to externalize the function,
              > > try something like this:
              > >
              > > function trackMe(t){
              > > s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
              > > s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
              > > s.prop51='something';
              > > s.events='event4';
              > > s.tl(t,'o','something',null,'navigate');
              > > }

              > > Or if you would rather have it all in one spot, this works as well:

              > > Selected',null,'navigate');return false;">CLICK ME TOO</a>
              > >
              > > Kevin Rogers
              > > @VaBeachKevin
              > >
              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
              > > > If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.
              > > >
              > > > This is the code:
              > > > s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return
              > > false;
              > > >
              > > > This is the error:
              > > > SyntaxError: return not in function
              > > >
              > > > Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > > Lorenzo
              > > >
              > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:

              > > ()
              > > link
              > > > > >
              > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/

              > > aborted.

              > > webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>

              > > action

            • harshil
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 16, 2013
                Hi Lorenzo,

                I have tried and tested the code for custom link tracking on redirects.

                The following code should work perfectly.

                s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
                s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
                s.prop51='something';
                s.events='event4';
                s.tl(true,'o','something',null,navigate);

                function navigate()
                {
                //Your Redirect Here//
                return false;
                }

                The changes:

                1. The doneAction parameter should not be 'navigate' (it is a typo in the documents you referred). The doneAction parameter tells the execution what to do once the link tracking call s.tl() has been successfully made.
                So, it should be a function which holds the next step - your redirect!
                This is exactly shown in above code.

                2. No need of s.useForcedLinkTracking=true;
                s.forcedLinkTrackingTimeout=500;

                Hope this helps!

                Best Regards,
                Harshil.