SiteCatalyst - How to make sure Custom Link Tracking is firing

  • Lorenzo Nannini
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hi,

      I am trying to implement custom link tracking on a submit button of a form,
      but unfortunately it is one of those cases when the form redirects to the
      following page (which is unfortunately on a third party site which I can't
      tag) right away, and the s.tl(); function hasn't got a chance to fire the
      link tag (the request gets aborted).

      I have found some documentation on the SiteCatalyst knowledge base (mainly
      the s.tl() function white paper), referring to the use of the doneAction
      attribute, and the variables useForcedLinkTracking and
      forcedLinkTrackingTimeout, and tried to implement something like this:

      s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
      s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
      s.prop51='something';
      s.events='event4';
      s.useForcedLinkTracking=true;
      s.forcedLinkTrackingTimeout=500;
      s.tl(true,'o','something',none,'navigate');

      But the call still gets aborted and SiteCat doesn't record any data.

      I was wondering if anybody has tried to use this manual delay in link
      tracking before and - if yes - if my function above seems to be implemented
      correctly. If it isn't, what should I change in order to make sure the tag
      fires?

      Thank you very much.
      Lorenzo

    • Katy Norris
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
        I think it will automatically add the delay if you set it to

        s.tl(this,'o' instead of s.tl(true,

        But I'm not a developer, so am not sure on that!

        Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
        331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
          Don't use a manual delay (setTimout is bad).

          If you use the proper JS techniques you can pause the default action of the
          link and trigger it when you're done.

          Patrick Mazzotta
          President & Founder
          Craedone Technologies Inc.
          416.508.9162
          pmazzotta@...

        • Alla Omelchenko
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
            I believe Katy is right. Use 'this' instead of 'true'.
            On 29 Jun 2013 08:24, "Patrick Mazzotta" <pmazzotta@...>
            wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Don't use a manual delay (setTimout is bad).
            >
            > If you use the proper JS techniques you can pause the default action of the
            > link and trigger it when you're done.
            >
            > Patrick Mazzotta
            > President & Founder
            > Craedone Technologies Inc.
            > 416.508.9162
            > pmazzotta@...

          • Lorenzo Nannini
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
              Hi Katy,

              Thanks for your reply!

              It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl() function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link tag), and not on buttons and similar (http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/).

              Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.

              Any other clue on this?
              Did anybody had a situation like this before?

              Thank you very much.
              Lorenzo

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Katy Norris <knorris@...> wrote:

              > I think it will automatically add the delay if you set it to
              >
              > s.tl(this,'o' instead of s.tl(true,
              >
              > But I'm not a developer, so am not sure on that!
              >

              > Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
              > 331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com
              >

              > From: Lorenzo Nannini <lorenzo.nannini@...<mailto:lorenzo.nannini@...>>
              > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:47 AM
              > To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>
              > Subject: [webanalytics] SiteCatalyst - How to make sure Custom Link Tracking is firing
              >

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am trying to implement custom link tracking on a submit button of a form,
              > but unfortunately it is one of those cases when the form redirects to the
              > following page (which is unfortunately on a third party site which I can't
              > tag) right away, and the s.tl(); function hasn't got a chance to fire the
              > link tag (the request gets aborted).
              >
              > I have found some documentation on the SiteCatalyst knowledge base (mainly
              > the s.tl() function white paper), referring to the use of the doneAction
              > attribute, and the variables useForcedLinkTracking and
              > forcedLinkTrackingTimeout, and tried to implement something like this:
              >
              > s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
              > s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
              > s.prop51='something';
              > s.events='event4';
              > s.useForcedLinkTracking=true;
              > s.forcedLinkTrackingTimeout=500;
              > s.tl(true,'o','something',none,'navigate');
              >
              > But the call still gets aborted and SiteCat doesn't record any data.
              >
              > I was wondering if anybody has tried to use this manual delay in link
              > tracking before and - if yes - if my function above seems to be implemented
              > correctly. If it isn't, what should I change in order to make sure the tag
              > fires?
              >
              > Thank you very much.
              > Lorenzo

            • Lorenzo Nannini
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                Hi Alla,

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@...> wrote:

                > I believe Katy is right. Use 'this' instead of 'true'.
                > On 29 Jun 2013 08:24, "Patrick Mazzotta" <pmazzotta@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Don't use a manual delay (setTimout is bad).
                > >
                > > If you use the proper JS techniques you can pause the default action of the
                > > link and trigger it when you're done.
                > >
                > > Patrick Mazzotta
                > > President & Founder
                > > Craedone Technologies Inc.
                > > 416.508.9162
                > > pmazzotta@...

              • Alla Omelchenko
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                  Is your code has the following format:
                  s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
                  On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi Alla,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your reply!
                  >
                  > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
                  > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
                  > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
                  > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
                  > ).
                  >
                  > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
                  >
                  > Any other clue on this?
                  > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
                  >
                  > Thank you very much.
                  > Lorenzo
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I believe Katy is right. Use 'this' instead of 'true'.
                  > > On 29 Jun 2013 08:24, "Patrick Mazzotta" <pmazzotta@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > Don't use a manual delay (setTimout is bad).
                  > > >
                  > > > If you use the proper JS techniques you can pause the default action
                  > of the
                  > > > link and trigger it when you're done.
                  > > >
                  > > > Patrick Mazzotta
                  > > > President & Founder
                  > > > Craedone Technologies Inc.
                  > > > 416.508.9162
                  > > > pmazzotta@...

                • Lorenzo Nannini
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                    My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
                    If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.

                    This is the code:
                    s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return false;

                    This is the error:
                    SyntaxError: return not in function

                    Any clue on what I am doing wrong?

                    Thanks
                    Lorenzo

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@...> wrote:

                    > Is your code has the following format:
                    > s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
                    > On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Hi Alla,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your reply!
                    > >
                    > > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
                    > > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
                    > > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
                    > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
                    > > ).
                    > >
                    > > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
                    > >
                    > > Any other clue on this?
                    > > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
                    > >
                    > > Thank you very much.
                    > > Lorenzo
                    > >
                    > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I believe Katy is right. Use 'this' instead of 'true'.

                    > > of the

                  • VaBeachKevin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                      Both of these should work fine. If you want to externalize the function, try something like this:

                      function trackMe(t){
                      s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
                      s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
                      s.prop51='something';
                      s.events='event4';
                      s.tl(t,'o','something',null,'navigate');
                      }

                      Or if you would rather have it all in one spot, this works as well:

                      Kevin Rogers
                      @VaBeachKevin

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:

                      > My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
                      > If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.
                      >
                      > This is the code:
                      > s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return false;
                      >
                      > This is the error:
                      > SyntaxError: return not in function
                      >
                      > Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Lorenzo
                      >
                      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Is your code has the following format:
                      > > s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
                      > > On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > Hi Alla,
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks for your reply!
                      > > >
                      > > > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
                      > > > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
                      > > > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
                      > > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
                      > > > ).
                      > > >
                      > > > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
                      > > >
                      > > > Any other clue on this?
                      > > > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you very much.
                      > > > Lorenzo
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>

                      > > > of the

                    • Katy Norris
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2013
                        Random question, Kevin -- does it matter that the link type is set to 'o' (other) instead of 'e' (exit link)?

                        Just curious.

                        Thanks!

                        From: VaBeachKevin <vabeachkevin@...<mailto:vabeachkevin@...>>
                        Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:49 AM
                        To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>

                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@...> wrote:

                        > My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
                        > If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.
                        >
                        > This is the code:
                        > s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return false;
                        >
                        > This is the error:
                        > SyntaxError: return not in function
                        >
                        > Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Lorenzo
                        >
                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Is your code has the following format:
                        > > s.tl (this,'e','link name', null,'navigate'); return false; ?
                        > > On 1 Jul 2013 10:45, "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > **
                        > > >

                        > > > Hi Alla,
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for your reply!
                        > > >
                        > > > It was my understanding that you could use "this" only when the s.tl()
                        > > > function fires on a tag that has the "href" attribute (like a <a> link
                        > > > tag), and not on buttons and similar (
                        > > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/
                        > > > ).
                        > > >
                        > > > Anyways, I have tried to change it to true but the call still gets aborted.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any other clue on this?
                        > > > Did anybody had a situation like this before?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you very much.
                        > > > Lorenzo
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>

                        > > > of the

                      • Sugam Khokhani
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
                          'o' means it is a custom link
                          'e' means exit link
                          'd' means file download link

                          These three are bucketed in the respective reports within Sitecatalyst
                          (Custom links, Exit Links, File Downloads)

                          Cheers,
                          Sugam

                        • VaBeachKevin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2, 2013
                            And that's really the only difference. Which report will they appear in when looking for them in SiteCatalyst. All three will capture the data just fine.

                            Kevin Rogers
                            @VaBeachKevin

                            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Sugam Khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...> wrote:

                            > 'o' means it is a custom link
                            > 'e' means exit link
                            > 'd' means file download link
                            >
                            > These three are bucketed in the respective reports within Sitecatalyst
                            > (Custom links, Exit Links, File Downloads)
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Sugam
                            >

                            > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Katy Norris <knorris@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > Random question, Kevin -- does it matter that the link type is set to 'o'
                            > > (other) instead of 'e' (exit link)?
                            > >
                            > > Just curious.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks!
                            > >

                            > > Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C
                            > > 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
                            > > 331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com |
                            > > ParticipantMedia.com
                            > >
                            > > From: VaBeachKevin <vabeachkevin@...<mailto:vabeachkevin@...>>

                            > > Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:49 AM
                            > >
                            > > To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <
                            > > webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>
                            > > Subject: [webanalytics] Re: SiteCatalyst - How to make sure Custom Link
                            > > Tracking is firing
                            > >

                            > > Both of these should work fine. If you want to externalize the function,
                            > > try something like this:
                            > >
                            > > function trackMe(t){
                            > > s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
                            > > s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
                            > > s.prop51='something';
                            > > s.events='event4';
                            > > s.tl(t,'o','something',null,'navigate');
                            > > }

                            > > Or if you would rather have it all in one spot, this works as well:

                            > > Selected',null,'navigate');return false;">CLICK ME TOO</a>
                            > >
                            > > Kevin Rogers
                            > > @VaBeachKevin
                            > >
                            > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > > "Lorenzo Nannini" <lorenzo.nannini@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > My code doesn't have the "return false" part at the end of it.
                            > > > If I try to add it, it throws a javascript error.
                            > > >
                            > > > This is the code:
                            > > > s.tl (this,'o','Payment Method Selected', null,'navigate'); return
                            > > false;
                            > > >
                            > > > This is the error:
                            > > > SyntaxError: return not in function
                            > > >
                            > > > Any clue on what I am doing wrong?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks
                            > > > Lorenzo
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:

                            > > ()
                            > > link
                            > > > > >
                            > > http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/

                            > > aborted.

                            > > webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, Alla Omelchenko <ratatosk34@>

                            > > action

                          • harshil
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 16, 2013
                              Hi Lorenzo,

                              I have tried and tested the code for custom link tracking on redirects.

                              The following code should work perfectly.

                              s.linkTrackVars='events,s.prop51';
                              s.linkTrackEvents='event4';
                              s.prop51='something';
                              s.events='event4';
                              s.tl(true,'o','something',null,navigate);

                              function navigate()
                              {
                              //Your Redirect Here//
                              return false;
                              }

                              The changes:

                              1. The doneAction parameter should not be 'navigate' (it is a typo in the documents you referred). The doneAction parameter tells the execution what to do once the link tracking call s.tl() has been successfully made.
                              So, it should be a function which holds the next step - your redirect!
                              This is exactly shown in above code.

                              2. No need of s.useForcedLinkTracking=true;
                              s.forcedLinkTrackingTimeout=500;

                              Hope this helps!

                              Best Regards,
                              Harshil.