Re: Website Redesign Analytics best pratice

  • Judah Phillips
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
      I'm a mind reader only in the sense that I have some experience, and so
      will you as you keep working in the field. I understand that being new to
      an organization you want it to work out and do your best, so you have my
      empathy. And an analytical role can be overwhelming in general and
      especially when confronted with a redesign. Look on the bright side though,
      at least you have a chance - and in the worst case, you are only going to
      get smarter from trying to do your best.

      The first thing I'm noticing is that you are very concerned with tools and
      pages and tactics. I'd suggest reorienting your mindset and concentrating
      first on business drivers and goals for the site redesign and how the
      existing site has previously fulfilled those goals. Then analyze the
      existing data to determine what behaviors, interactions, events, and so on
      influence those goals. By doing actual analysis, you can help guide the
      redesign with the data.

      The next thing is you should include your technology partners in helping
      you. You sound like you are going at it all alone. Putting up and taking
      down pages or the sequence thereof is a type of recommendation an analyst
      might make based on data analysis, but it seems a bit odd to me that the
      analyst would be identifying this work. Same thing with "update pages
      on...." Ultimately these decisions should be made in collaboration with
      various business functions and coordinated with technology, not only the
      ideation of an analyst (but you are a voice in the decisions). Thinking
      about setting up mappings and server redirects from old pages to new? What
      about the risk of duplicate content? Your organic search is likely going
      get killed based on my understanding of what you describe if I understand
      correctly. What does your search team or agency say?

      As for the tool choice, it's all based on your business goals and what you
      need to do with the data, types of analysis and so on. That said, I think
      GA can be really useful for what it does - and it has some powerful stuff
      in it, especially the Beta stuff, the multichannel funnels, the assisted
      conversion, and the attribution modeling that if implemented and used
      properly is quite Googley and smart. On the counterpoint, GA has it's
      limitations, some extremely severe for certain business cases, but so does
      every other tool. Nevertheless, the innovation in GA and the mainstreaming
      of it- especially since Avinash's excellent time and now during Justin's
      excellent time at Google is just plain awesome compared to some of the
      innovations by other commercial vendors during the same time period. So,
      yes, deploying Universal Analytics instead of spending a lot more for a lot
      less can be a good idea. But just collect data on every page now - and if
      it gets cross-domain for whatever reason, then read Justin Cutroni's book
      "Google Analytics," which you should have anyway if you use GA.

      Well, good luck, hope that helps however generalized it was. If you'd like
      to learn more about my viewpoint on analytics, please consider pre-ordering
      my forthcoming business book on digital analytics:
      http://www.amazon.com/Building-Digital-Analytics-Organization-Integrating/dp/0133372782

    • insightelligence
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi,

        As mentioned in most replies, I am also concerned that you will run into severe Google ranking issues by duplicating the content of your site on a separate domain or subdomain. I am not sure what exactly you guys want to change on your site, but since you talk about a "redesign" I assume that you will mostly be changing your frontend template.

        Assuming that this is correct, the approach I would go for is setting up a second template (e.g. separate CSS files) and applying the new template on your existing domain by using a URL parameter, e.g. yourdomain.com?template=new

        That way you could easily set up a content experiment by telling GA that ?template=new is your variant which you want to test against your original site.

        Using this method you could even set up two additional profiles in GA and apply filters so that you'd have one profile for your original site and one for your redesigned site. (For running your experiment, you would still need one profile which includes both templates.)

        I am not 100% sure if this scenario will work technically in GA or for your IT, but from my point of view it would be worth giving it a try.

        Best,
        Michael