SiteCatalyst: How to see visitors' marketing channels over time

  • Katy Norris
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2013
      Does anyone know if there is a way in SiteCatalyst to see if visitors whose first touch Marketing Channel was "Paid Ads" later came back to the site later of their own accord, say via Social, Direct or Email?

      Thanks!
      Katy

      Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
      331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com

    • adamgreco
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
        Katy,

        In SiteCatalyst, you can see first touch and last touch channel by using the Marketing Channels report or by using two different eVars (one set to Most Recent and the other set to Original Value). If you want to see beyond first/last touch, you'd have to use Adobe Discover (http://kevin.webanalyticsdemystified.com/2013/05/sequential-segmentation-in-adobe-discover/) or use the Cross-Visit Participation JavaScript Plug-in (http://adam.webanalyticsdemystified.com/2010/02/01/cross-visit-traffic-source-attribution/).

        Adam Greco

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Katy Norris <knorris@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know if there is a way in SiteCatalyst to see if visitors whose first touch Marketing Channel was "Paid Ads" later came back to the site later of their own accord, say via Social, Direct or Email?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Katy
        >

        > Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
        > 331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com

      • Raj Hadoop
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
          Hi -

          I am a software developer in Hadoop. I am trying to learn web analytics. We have logs in Omniture. What is the best way to get started analyzing with Omniture. Any tips and suggestions please.

          Regards,
          Raj

        • Jim Sterne
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
            Hi Raj,

            This is getting a little dated, but you might start here:

            http://bit.ly/wa-training

            Jim Sterne

            On Tuesday, June 4, 2013, Raj Hadoop wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi -
            >
            > I am a software developer in Hadoop. I am trying to learn web analytics.
            > We have logs in Omniture. What is the best way to get started analyzing
            > with Omniture. Any tips and suggestions please.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Raj

          • JudahPhillips
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
              Use Putty and Excel. Just kidding. The most likely reality is that storing OMTR logs and making them available via Hadoop and then attempting to build some aggregated BI reporting on top of it is going be a big waste of money with poor results. Sure, it can be done though.

              Better off using Omniture reporting however, limiting it is. Or better yet, get Adobe Insight if you are required to use Adobe's products and that's an option.
            • Warren Sander
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
                It's really a job for channel manager to pull the channels like you are
                doing your marketing channels. Then you need crossvisitparticiaption like
                adam said (campaign stacking or channel stacking). And then I added on more
                I have time in channel setup so that when a customer exits one channel and
                goes into another I record how long they were in the channel. it's pretty
                useful to see if customers are thrashing around or not (you could also add
                a time feature to channel stacking if you did that).

                On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM, adamgreco <adamgreco@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Katy,
                >
                > In SiteCatalyst, you can see first touch and last touch channel by using
                > the Marketing Channels report or by using two different eVars (one set to
                > Most Recent and the other set to Original Value). If you want to see beyond
                > first/last touch, you'd have to use Adobe Discover (
                > http://kevin.webanalyticsdemystified.com/2013/05/sequential-segmentation-in-adobe-discover/)
                > or use the Cross-Visit Participation JavaScript Plug-in (
                > http://adam.webanalyticsdemystified.com/2010/02/01/cross-visit-traffic-source-attribution/
                > ).
                >
                > Adam Greco
                >

                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Katy Norris <knorris@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone know if there is a way in SiteCatalyst to see if visitors
                > whose first touch Marketing Channel was "Paid Ads" later came back to the
                > site later of their own accord, say via Social, Direct or Email?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > Katy
                > >

                > > Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C
                > 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
                > > 331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com |
                > ParticipantMedia.com

                -warren

                Warren Sander
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander
                warrensander@...
                508 740 9316

              • Warren Sander
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
                  Pick up a copy if Adam Greco's book 'The Adobe SiteCatalyst Handbook'. It's
                  very good.

                  Also all the training videos should be available for you to watch, go to
                  help -> training videos when you login to sitecatalyst (it's in the top
                  navigation bar)

                  On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hi -
                  >
                  > I am a software developer in Hadoop. I am trying to learn web analytics.
                  > We have logs in Omniture. What is the best way to get started analyzing
                  > with Omniture. Any tips and suggestions please.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Raj

                  -warren

                  Warren Sander
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander
                  warrensander@...
                  508 740 9316

                • Gabriele Endress-Balhiser
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
                    Raj,

                    I will be starting a new series of video tutorials on Adobe SiteCatalyst
                    (formerly Omniture SiteCatalyst) next month. If you're interested they will
                    be posted at http://youtube.com/EndressAnalytics

                    Good luck! :)

                    Gabi

                    --------------------------------------
                    Gabriele Endress-Balhiser
                    Digital Analytics Consultant
                    Endress|Analytics LLC
                    Turning your Data into Action

                    Endress-Analytics.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
                      Raj - you're getting two different answers both correct but with different levels of understanding about what you are doing.

                      The first answer is basically read a book or take a class. It presumes you have access to SiteCatalyst reporting or some other Adobe/Omniture product. These answers assume you have a named account and login into an Omniture tool.

                      The second answer, what I was mentioning, is if you have raw logs in some filesystem or already in a cluster then what you have is likely replicating in Hadoop the same data collected by Adobe. Bifurcated data collection, happens all the time in more complex environments. In this case, find the people who implemented or control the data collection (in the site code) and go to the available reporting likely already built in SiteCatalyst (which can be very limited) or Discover (which is less limited). The people who set up the data collection (redundant in Hadoop) can provision you access/named user to whatever Omniture tools you have - or they will know who to ask... Also find out if you have access to a tool named Adobe Insight (not Discover), which provides more capabilities to work with raw logs.

                      Once you have access to whatever Adobe tool contains the reporting (i.e. not Hadoop or some aggregation of it) then definitely do as suggested and read a book that gives you a viewpoint on web analytics, like Web Analytics: An Hour a Day by Avinash Kaushik or Web Analytics Demystified or Adam's book or the Adobe doc (like I did, lol) or take a class with Ms Endress or do both or all three and then do more.

                      What I don't advise is trying to aggregate your raw logs using Hadoop, BI tools and building a bunch of reports (like in Tableau) however automated. Definitely don't do Putty/Excel (lol). While the BI approach to processing Omniture logs is possible to do, you won't really be learning traditional web analytics in this approach but rather applying your engineering skills in BI on web logs. It's also costly in terms of time, resources, servers/saas, and so on. And the results won't be as flexible as SiteCatalyst (which I think is about as flexible as a steel beam compared to other Adobe and competitor tools).

                      Hope this helps.

                      Judah
                    • Raj Hadoop
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
                        Hi Phillips,

                        Do you suggest OMTR reporting is far better than doing a log analytics with Hadoop? We are of an opinion that Omniture is filtering out some data and we wanted to get all data and analyze further. Please provide your suggestions on this.

                        Thanks,
                        Raj

                        ________________________________
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 6, 2013
                          Hi Raj,

                          I think you're asking a few different questions:

                          1) Is OMTR standard reporting better than the same BI reporting you create?

                          Yes, it probably will be but it will likely have limitations that will
                          irritate you as a BI person. Without knowing your business requirements
                          its hard for me to guide you, but I have watched many BI people fail to
                          replicate accurately even the most basic, simple reporting in Omniture.
                          That said, it can be done, and in some cases you can create using BI
                          better analysis by freeing yourself from the limitations of the way web
                          analytics tools process collected data and allow for customizations on the
                          reports from their data.

                          2) Are you seeing "all data" from Omniture?

                          That, of course, depends on your definition of "all data." If you mean are
                          you counting all the people and related derivatives, like unique visitors
                          and visits, and so on. The answer is No you are absolutely not collecting
                          "all data" with OMTR. The data you collect in OMTR depends on your data
                          collection (which is likely Javascript) and externalities you can't control
                          like browser settings and proxies and so on. The big piece of missing data,
                          for an engineer, is that OMTR is missing robotic traffic and non-js
                          executing bots, browsers with JS turned off, lots of mobile traffic (why
                          OMTR has an API for mobile), and other traffic for a number of reasons
                          (from proxies to security software to plugins) and so on. It's beyond the
                          scope of this response though to list all the reasons for missing traffic,
                          but you can find reasons online or in books.

                          That said, these facts are endemic to all web analytics tools more or less.
                          Thus it's likely what you have in your OMTR logs if you are using
                          Javascript is almost identical to what Omniture would process in their
                          SaaS, but not exactly since they filter and post process their raw data
                          after collected (but will charge you for js-executing bot traffic since
                          it's executed server calls, lol).

                          So even if you process the raw logs in Hadoop using Pentaho, you aren't
                          suddenly going to find all this missing traffic. After all ,it's in
                          Omniture's best financial interest to charge you for all traffic, so they
                          aren't hiding any traffic. Instead what shows up in Omniture is limited by
                          what the product does and does not do by design. It is what it is.

                          It sounds like some manager is saying "the data is wrong," which can be
                          true if you've poorly implemented or configured the tool or you have too
                          many tools and too many people looking at too much data with too little
                          perspective and too many reports and too little business alignment, but in
                          reality the "data is different." So which data is right, your old data or
                          the OMTR data? The answer is "yes" which is another way of advising you to
                          concentrate on your business goals/questions based on the data you know to
                          be accurate to your definitions. Do your best to use the data to guide
                          decision-making instead of wasting a bunch of time and money trying to
                          describe the origins of some manager's opinion about what the data "should"
                          look like unless you are presented with hard data that shows your OMTR data
                          is wrong - or you have lots of free time to spend not doing actual analysis.

                          Judah

                        • Raj Hadoop
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 6, 2013
                            Hi Phillips - Thanks for thed detailed mail.

                            All,

                            I am looking for a technical architecture diagram of Omniture software (or server) and its interaction with a web server. what is the best resource and where can i get it. Please advise.

                            Thanks,
                            Raj