Google Glass - Analytics

  • WYBMan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2013
      Hi All,

      Does anyone know of any companies out there that are building analytics tools for measuring experiences that are delivered through Google Glass? Will current analytics tools e.g. google analytics, Flurry, etc be able to effectively measure these experiences?

      Thanks,

      James
    • Bob Willis
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2013
        Hey James,

        In my experience there is a definite lag between the introduction of a new web based technology (social media and later mobile apps as two examples) and an integration with an analytics solution. For example, in 2010 there was a crescendo of interest in using Facebook to drive traffic and sales to websites, and thus a huge demand to track this with analytics tools. Unfortunately FB did not always cooperate with those of us trying to measure its impact and periodically FB would change how they did things and would thus kill existing tracking that had been implemented. This didn't mean our customers did not still want to know what was happening, but as time passed this interest waned. It has been a long time since I have heard of a customer who was really interested in integrating social media tracking into their web analtyic tool. Knowing the referrer and attributing activity back to that referrer now seems to be enough. The past couple of years the
        interest has been more on tracking mobile apps and now less on social media. This is a more difficult challenge because apps do not need to be connected to the internet to work and be active. In those situations how do you attribute time and event activity (as it is defined in traditional anaytics products)? Also, it brings up a larger question, are apps really a web based technology that should be measured using traditional web analytics tools, and if so how do you integrate the two?
        So, I have digressed quite a bit. I am sure Google will have some integration between Glass and GA (go figure), but it will probably be a bit of time before other vendors have a tool to measure this data. Just my two cents.

        Regards,
        Bob

        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2013
          Thanks Bob

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bob Willis <bntwillis@...> wrote:

          > Hey James,
          >
          > In my experience there is a definite lag between the introduction of a new web based technology (social media and later mobile apps as two examples) and an integration with an analytics solution. For example, in 2010 there was a crescendo of interest in using Facebook to drive traffic and sales to websites, and thus a huge demand to track this with analytics tools. Unfortunately FB did not always cooperate with those of us trying to measure its impact and periodically FB would change how they did things and would thus kill existing tracking that had been implemented. This didn't mean our customers did not still want to know what was happening, but as time passed this interest waned. It has been a long time since I have heard of a customer who was really interested in integrating social media tracking into their web analtyic tool. Knowing the referrer and attributing activity back to that referrer now seems to be enough. The past couple of years the
          > interest has been more on tracking mobile apps and now less on social media. This is a more difficult challenge because apps do not need to be connected to the internet to work and be active. In those situations how do you attribute time and event activity (as it is defined in traditional anaytics products)? Also, it brings up a larger question, are apps really a web based technology that should be measured using traditional web analytics tools, and if so how do you integrate the two?
          > So, I have digressed quite a bit. I am sure Google will have some integration between Glass and GA (go figure), but it will probably be a bit of time before other vendors have a tool to measure this data. Just my two cents.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bob

        • G Scott Stukey
          Message 4 of 4 , May 25, 2013
            While I agree with Bob on several points, I don't think comparing social media (a non-owned experience) to Glass Apps (owned properties/experience) is fair. As far as I can tell never touching Glass, tracking Glass won't be too dissimilar to tracking a mobile app. Both need web server calls to function, and hence you can send calls to any Digital Analytics provider. May have to have considerations for when Glass is offline.

            So if a company interested in Glass will be able to get information that is relevant & can help them make data-based improvements the they should be able to. Google's Universal Analytics, which allows for more custom data to be sent to GA via http requests, should do the trick (or be backed into it).

            Relevant - https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/

            -G Scott

            e. gscottstukey@...
            t. @gscottstukey