Re: [webanalytics] Re: Automation of SAINT

  • Warren Sander
    Message 1 of 13 , May 16, 2013
      The '.fin' file is a flag so that when the SAINT processor looks in each
      ftp directory it knows that the file has been fully uploaded. That way it
      doesn't have to look for open files etc or files you want to stage for
      future classifications.

      No <filename>.fin file and <filename>.tab will never be processed. It will
      just sit in the ftp. This helps in a lot of ways. First if you want to FTP
      export you can without worrying about the exported file getting re-absorbed
      and deleted. Next if you go by looking at your ftp locations and see a file
      in it you can then question what is going on with that file.

      Say you want to overwrite some classifications BUT you want to have a data
      warehouse request finish first. You can upload the new classifications file
      and wait until the data warehouse finishes before pushing the .fin file.
      Easier to do from home than try to upload some 100MB file though a VPN
      connection.

      The same if your cost of network transfer differs at times. Have the big
      file copied during the lesser cost times and then put the .fin file out
      when you want the classifications to happen since it's a zero length file
      it's takes no time to transfer.

      -warren

      Warren Sander
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander