Re: Automation of SAINT

  • VaBeachKevin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15, 2013
      That is exactly right. A totally blank file with a .fin extension, with the same name as the data file that you uploaded.

      Kevin Rogers
      @VaBeachKevin

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Craig.
      >
      > So understood the process.
      >
      > Last help I need is with the .fin file since I haven't used it ever.
      >
      > What is meant by .fin file should have 0 size? Should it be an empty file?
      >
      > So if my .tab file prepared by database team is userdata.tab, I also need to put an empty text file with name userdata.fin (exact same name with .fin extension) on the FTP.
      >
      > Did I get it right?
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Harshil
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Scribner" <craigdscribner@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Your process is right, except for the .fin file. Omniture will wait to
      > > process it until it sees the .fin file, which is its signal that the upload
      > > is complete.

    • Warren Sander
      Message 2 of 13 , May 16, 2013
        The '.fin' file is a flag so that when the SAINT processor looks in each
        ftp directory it knows that the file has been fully uploaded. That way it
        doesn't have to look for open files etc or files you want to stage for
        future classifications.

        No <filename>.fin file and <filename>.tab will never be processed. It will
        just sit in the ftp. This helps in a lot of ways. First if you want to FTP
        export you can without worrying about the exported file getting re-absorbed
        and deleted. Next if you go by looking at your ftp locations and see a file
        in it you can then question what is going on with that file.

        Say you want to overwrite some classifications BUT you want to have a data
        warehouse request finish first. You can upload the new classifications file
        and wait until the data warehouse finishes before pushing the .fin file.
        Easier to do from home than try to upload some 100MB file though a VPN
        connection.

        The same if your cost of network transfer differs at times. Have the big
        file copied during the lesser cost times and then put the .fin file out
        when you want the classifications to happen since it's a zero length file
        it's takes no time to transfer.

        Warren Sander
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander
        warrensander@...