[webanalytics] GA - trying to understand discrepancy in bounce rates

  • Alan Etkin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2013
      I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

      I work on a relatively high volume site and have created individual
      profiles for reporting on various sections of the site. When I compare
      reports for the section profiles with the profile for the full site, I'm
      seeing significant variations in page bounce rates.

      Specifically, the site is bcit.ca. One of the profiles I created is for
      /transportation/. The bounce rate for /transportation/marine/courses.shtml
      in the profile's content > all pages report is 65.58%. The bounce rate for
      the same page in the profile for the full site is 36.78%

      If a visitor clicked on a link to a page within bcit.ca but outside
      of /transportation/ (for example to the bcit.ca homepage), I'm assuming it
      would not be counted as a bounce. If, however, they arrived on the
      /transportation/ page from another area of bcit.ca and then left by hitting
      the back button, would this be considered a bounce? Could this be the cause
      of the discrepancy, or is there something else at play?

      Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this!

      Alan

    • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2013
        What’s the bounce rate for those 2 segments on the overall profile:

        · Visits - destination page - /transportation/

        · Visits - page - /transportation/

        Béate Vervaecke

        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2013
          The overall bounce rate for the /transportation/ folder in the profile for
          the full site is 38.5%
          The bounce rate for all /transportation/ landing pages is profile for the
          full site is 38.8%

          In the specific /transportation/ profile, the bounce rate is showing as
          58.2% for the both the overall profile and for the landing pages.

          As I dig into this deeper, I'm seeing discrepancies between most of the
          stats when I compare the /transportation/ profile to the comparable reports
          in the profile for the full site. The /transportation/ profile is showing a
          higher number of visits, lower pages/visit, lower avg. visit duration, and
          higher bounce rate.

          Any ideas on what is going on?

        • Sid
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2013
            Hi Alan

            You can only use GA advanced segments to compare visits and unique visitors. The other metrics such as pageviews, pages/visit calculation will also include full site pages other than '/transportation/' pages because GA advanced segment is visit segment. As a result this will include all pageviews and other stats of the visits that includes a pageview of '/transportation/'.

            Whereas a profile with '/transportation/' filter will only include pages that contain '/transportation/' and exclude all other site pages in the topline measures calculation.

            It'll also be worth checking the filters and filters' orders on these both profiles whether they are the same.

            Hope this helps.

            Thanks
            Sid

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alan Etkin <aetkin@...> wrote:

            > The overall bounce rate for the /transportation/ folder in the profile for
            > the full site is 38.5%
            > The bounce rate for all /transportation/ landing pages is profile for the
            > full site is 38.8%
            >
            > In the specific /transportation/ profile, the bounce rate is showing as
            > 58.2% for the both the overall profile and for the landing pages.
            >
            > As I dig into this deeper, I'm seeing discrepancies between most of the
            > stats when I compare the /transportation/ profile to the comparable reports
            > in the profile for the full site. The /transportation/ profile is showing a
            > higher number of visits, lower pages/visit, lower avg. visit duration, and
            > higher bounce rate.
            >
            > Any ideas on what is going on?

          • Alan Etkin
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2013
              Hi Sid,

              Thanks for the reply. What I'm looking at seems to be the question of how
              to use profiles.

              The site I'm working on consists of 6 school, about 200 program, marketing,
              resesearch, and administrative sub-sites. They're all tagged with the same
              GA code, and combined have about 5.5 million pageviews monthly.

              In addition to a global view of all sites, I'm trying to provide meaningful
              reports to the community, which means many unique goals, funnels and custom
              advanced segments. To manage the complexity of the reporting, I've created
              multiple profiles which report on traffic to the various sub-sites. In some
              cases it makes sense to exclude all traffic to other parts of the site, and
              it's these cases I'm seeing discrepancies in the reporting - even when no
              segments or filters are applied.

              I've been trying to validate the data by comparing the section profiles
              with what I see in the main profile for the full site. For example the
              content drilldown report for the /transportation/ folder is showing
              different results than what I'm seeing in the /transportation/ profile. I
              think I now understand the bounce rate issue, and am now trying to
              understand some of the other discrepancies I'm seeing, like differences in
              # of visits, pages/visit and avg visit duration.

              Because of the sheer volume of data we're collecting, I know sampling is an
              issue. I may be mistaken, but I'm wondering if sampling could be having
              some impact on the results of the main profile vs the sub-site profiles.

              If anyone has suggestions on how to better organize my reporting set-up,
              I'm absolutely open to hearing them.

              Alan

            • Sid
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2013
                Hi Alan

                Million pageviews shouldn't be an issue, however, Google can process 50,000 unique urls per day in a profile and if the query strings aren't excluded then Google groups the pages as '(other)'. Do you see anything as such in your pages report on either profile?

                Also, how the pageviews compare between the content report of fullsite profile and the filtered profile? This should match at least since this isn't derived using any other metric.

                Thanks

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Alan Etkin <aetkin@...> wrote:

                > Hi Sid,
                >
                > Thanks for the reply. What I'm looking at seems to be the question of how
                > to use profiles.
                >
                > The site I'm working on consists of 6 school, about 200 program, marketing,
                > resesearch, and administrative sub-sites. They're all tagged with the same
                > GA code, and combined have about 5.5 million pageviews monthly.
                >
                > In addition to a global view of all sites, I'm trying to provide meaningful
                > reports to the community, which means many unique goals, funnels and custom
                > advanced segments. To manage the complexity of the reporting, I've created
                > multiple profiles which report on traffic to the various sub-sites. In some
                > cases it makes sense to exclude all traffic to other parts of the site, and
                > it's these cases I'm seeing discrepancies in the reporting - even when no
                > segments or filters are applied.
                >
                > I've been trying to validate the data by comparing the section profiles
                > with what I see in the main profile for the full site. For example the
                > content drilldown report for the /transportation/ folder is showing
                > different results than what I'm seeing in the /transportation/ profile. I
                > think I now understand the bounce rate issue, and am now trying to
                > understand some of the other discrepancies I'm seeing, like differences in
                > # of visits, pages/visit and avg visit duration.
                >
                > Because of the sheer volume of data we're collecting, I know sampling is an
                > issue. I may be mistaken, but I'm wondering if sampling could be having
                > some impact on the results of the main profile vs the sub-site profiles.
                >
                > If anyone has suggestions on how to better organize my reporting set-up,
                > I'm absolutely open to hearing them.
                >
                > Alan

              • Béate Vervaecke | e-Zen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 19, 2013
                  I’ve been testing it with segments and filters, recalculating the number of
                  visits that bounces instead of percentages, and it’s indeed very weird.

                  Anyone knows how Google calculates the bouncerate in a profile with
                  filtering on pages?

                  Béate Vervaecke