Re: Tag Management Solution

  • rshumpe
    Message 1 of 26 , May 3, 2013
      I have been a part of over 50 TMS implementations using all of the vendors you listed below and others. A TMS is not a magic potion that will instantly fix bad markup on your site and make everything happen for you automatically.

      What is should do is make things easier and faster for you to handle. Also if a TMS vendor tells you they will eliminate the need for any javascript skills on your team they are lying.

      Full Disclosure: After spending time working on the systems you listed I decided to work for the TMS system that had provided for my projects & clients the best experience with is Satellite TMS by Search Discovery.

      You can reach me at rudi @ searchdiscovery.com or check out our blog for a wealth of information on our system.

      http://www.searchdiscovery.com/satellite/blog/

      -Rudi
      @RudiShumpert on Twitter.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "dhinglidesai" <dhinglidesai@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Our company is looking to implement a tag managment solution to accomodate for web analytics tags, pixels, custom parameter capture etc.
      >
      > The four major players we have heard about in the industry are Tealium, Ensighten, TagMan and BrightTag.
      >
      > Would be great if I can get any feedback on these vendors from the group here.
      >
      > Thanks!

    • harshil
      Message 2 of 26 , May 7, 2013
        Hi All,

        Thanks for the help on this.

        I have one more query on the same.

        During the deployment of the tag management solution and also of the tags on the web pages, what kind of role and what activities is required from the client? What kind of assistance/clarifications/understanding is required from the client side?

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
        >
        > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
        >
        > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
        > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
        >
        > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Harshil

      • Stephane Hamel
        Message 3 of 26 , May 7, 2013
          Given the nature of the conversation that spurred from this thread I'd rather answer privately to your questions. Feel free to reach me at shamel...cardinalpath.com, Twitter @SHamelCP or visit http://cardinalpath.com

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Thanks for the help on this.
          >
          > I have one more query on the same.
          >
          > During the deployment of the tag management solution and also of the tags on the web pages, what kind of role and what activities is required from the client? What kind of assistance/clarifications/understanding is required from the client side?
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
          > >
          > > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
          > >
          > > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
          > > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
          > >
          > > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Best Regards,
          > > Harshil

        • Bill Bruno
          Message 4 of 26 , May 7, 2013
            Hi Harshil,

            I'm happy to discuss in further detail directly...but here are some points to think about. Hopefully this helps!

            Just like it is unfair to call Tag Management "easy," it is also unfair to have high expectations that the client will be able to provide everything a firm like mine needs in order to complete a successful implementation (with or without TMS). A successful implementation, in our eyes, would be one that satisfies not only all of the business requirements (or as many as can be satisfied with the existing toolset), but one that also gets all of the right data to the right people at the right time. If there are gaps, it is our job to identify those gaps as well and provide recommendations on how to fill those gaps down the road. Perhaps even go so far as to help negotiate with vendors on behalf of the client to fill those gaps when ready.

            When moving forward with a deployment (with or without TMS), the following occurs (high-level):

            * Audit of existing implementation (if exists)

            o Client provides access to the necessary tools (Admin level)

            * Business requirements gathering meetings

            o Client identifies, with my team's help, who the right stakeholders are to get a representative understand of the business needs

            o These meetings are "hand holding" meetings where my team would walk through the process and ensure that any education gaps are explained to all involved

            * Solution Design

            o No client involvement here, except when it comes to sign off on the documentation

            * Tagging Implementation

            o With TMS: Only thing IT has to do is get the TMS code out there in the header, and then work with my team to Q/A all of the rules being created

            o Without TMS: Client IT team implements all of the tagging provided and my team plays the Q/A support role

            * UI Configuation

            o No client involvement

            * Walkthrough/Knowledge Transfer/Training

            o Client stakeholders are involved

            I hope that helps. I left out quite a bit from the process, but this should give you a general understand of client involvement.

            -Bill

            Bill Bruno
            CEO | Stratigent
            (o) 630.658.2215 (c) 773.203.6596 (f) 773.203.6596
            bill.bruno@...<mailto:bill.bruno@...>

            [stratigent banner]<http://www.stratigent.com/>

            Copyright Stratigent, LLC, all rights reserved. This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients, and contain confidential and proprietary information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution of this email message or its attachments is prohibited.

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I am engaging with some client for web analytics implementation along with tag management solution.
            >
            > Can you please help with the following queries for the same?
            >
            > - If we are using a tag management solution rather than regular javascript page tags method, does it add to the implementation timeframe or will it reduce the implementation time frame?
            > - Also, how long would it take for implementation of a web analytics tool using the tag management solution? (As a reference, considering that the same implementation using a javascript page tag will take 3 months)
            >
            > Please help with these as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > Harshil

          • harshil
            Message 5 of 26 , May 12, 2013
              Thank you for your responses.

              I have an additional query to this.

              If the website webpages have multiple tags for different services, can all these tags be integrated into the Tag Management System (Universal tag)?

              In case there are outliers, how can the same be handled?

              Thanks in advance.

              Best Regards,
              Harshil