Re: [webanalytics] Re: 10 Second Survey

  • Jeff Anttila
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
      Hi Team,

      My perspective is less focused on Web-based Analytics but I thought I'd weigh in..

      In an org with multiple data silos, I'd say multiple this titles and/or working in a cross-functional manner is fairly common depending on internal and external customers. This is typical of companies that use Kimball database approach instead of Bill Inmon.

      Usually, company analytics has many internal and external customers.

      Jay Tkachuk also mentioned "SVP of Performance Management" as a title. I think this shows that organization's maturity level, and needs for data across the organization.

      It's very easy to centralize data efforts under the group that is a primary customer of the data. However, if the organization frequently needs data to (or from) other functional groups, it may be best to place these efforts it in a separate functional group such as Performance Management.

      At T-Mobile USA, reporting was done under Marketing Groups to increase agility and ability to react to competition.

      At Medtronic, data was typically a function of IT due to already-available resources. At Boeing, eCAS (Electronic CAS or Commercial Aviation Services), a newer group, was formed to interface with all customers of data internal and external.

      Microsoft, however, was very entrepreneurial. With five lines of business, SAP was used at a financial level and each org had their own internal applications, typically under an Operations and Marketing Perspective, but this changed. The Executive Director of Operations and Operations Management was the primary consumer of data in the org I consulted to.

      At Oracle, where I have a high school friend, working as a Director of Integration.

      In my consulting career, I find a separate group, with voting say on the BoD is best if the data needs are cross-functional. A group such as this would allow for data to be scrubbed for PII compliance and other reasons.

      But when it comes to WebAnalytics, often the internal team who managed the public website managed Omniture or Google Analytics data, and shared it with Marketing or groups that had a need for access to the data.

      Sent from my iPhone