10 Second Survey

  • Jim Sterne
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi Gang -

      Can you please tell me the title of your senior-most executive with analytics
      responsibility?

      Yeah, I it goes all the way to the top at agencies and consultancies - I'm
      interested in brands.
      So, maybe you can answer in terms of your clients?

      Please respond to me and I'll summarize for the list.

      Why do I want to know?

      eMetrics Executive Roundtable
      San Francisco
      Thursday, April 18
      http://www.emetrics.org/sanfrancisco/2013/emetrics-executive-san-francisco/

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
        SVP of Performance Management

        On Friday, March 29, 2013, Jim Sterne wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Gang -
        >
        > Can you please tell me the title of your senior-most executive with
        > analytics
        > responsibility?
        >
        > Yeah, I it goes all the way to the top at agencies and consultancies - I'm
        > interested in brands.
        > So, maybe you can answer in terms of your clients?
        >
        > Please respond to me and I'll summarize for the list.
        >
        > Why do I want to know?
        >
        > eMetrics Executive Roundtable
        > San Francisco
        > Thursday, April 18
        > http://www.emetrics.org/sanfrancisco/2013/emetrics-executive-san-francisco/
        >
        > Thanks!

        > Jim Sterne jsterne@... <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
        > 'jsterne%40targeting.com');>
        > +1 805 965 3184 x 4
        > Founder eMetrics Summit http://www.emetrics.org
        > Author Social Media Metrics http://bit.ly/SocialMetrics
        > Chairman Digital Analytics Association
        > http://digitalanalyticsassociation.org/
        > @jimsterne

      • Stephane Hamel
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
          Jim, I know *someone* who has hundreds of job titles, department, years of experience in DA, total years of experience, responsibility... collected through assessment of their digital analytics capabilities... Would this be useful to you?

          Email me, I'm *confident* he would *love* to see his benchmark data being used in an exec roundtable discussion :)

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Sterne" <jsterne@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang -
          >
          > Can you please tell me the title of your senior-most executive with analytics
          > responsibility?
          >
          > Yeah, I it goes all the way to the top at agencies and consultancies - I'm
          > interested in brands.
          > So, maybe you can answer in terms of your clients?
          >
          > Please respond to me and I'll summarize for the list.
          >
          > Why do I want to know?
          >
          > eMetrics Executive Roundtable
          > San Francisco
          > Thursday, April 18
          > http://www.emetrics.org/sanfrancisco/2013/emetrics-executive-san-francisco/
          >
          > Thanks!

          >   Jim Sterne jsterne@...
          > +1 805 965 3184 x 4
          > Founder eMetrics Summit http://www.emetrics.org
          > Author Social Media Metrics http://bit.ly/SocialMetrics
          > Chairman Digital Analytics Association http://digitalanalyticsassociation.org/
          > @jimsterne

        • Jim Sterne
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
            If *only* I could guess who that *someone* might be, I would be
            *happy* to include his (or her!) information.

            Perhaps *you* would be so kind as to put me in touch with him/her?

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "Jim Sterne" <jsterne@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gang -
            >
            > Can you please tell me the title of your senior-most executive with analytics
            > responsibility?
            >
            > Yeah, I it goes all the way to the top at agencies and consultancies - I'm
            > interested in brands.
            > So, maybe you can answer in terms of your clients?
            >
            > Please respond to me and I'll summarize for the list.
            >
            > Why do I want to know?
            >
            > eMetrics Executive Roundtable
            > San Francisco
            > Thursday, April 18
            > http://www.emetrics.org/sanfrancisco/2013/emetrics-executive-san-francisco/
            >
            > Thanks!

            > Jim Sterne jsterne@...
            > +1 805 965 3184 x 4
            > Founder eMetrics Summit http://www.emetrics.org
            > Author Social Media Metrics http://bit.ly/SocialMetrics
            > Chairman Digital Analytics Association http://digitalanalyticsassociation.org/
            > @jimsterne

          • Jeff Anttila
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2013
              Hi Team,

              My perspective is less focused on Web-based Analytics but I thought I'd weigh in..

              In an org with multiple data silos, I'd say multiple this titles and/or working in a cross-functional manner is fairly common depending on internal and external customers. This is typical of companies that use Kimball database approach instead of Bill Inmon.

              Usually, company analytics has many internal and external customers.

              Jay Tkachuk also mentioned "SVP of Performance Management" as a title. I think this shows that organization's maturity level, and needs for data across the organization.

              It's very easy to centralize data efforts under the group that is a primary customer of the data. However, if the organization frequently needs data to (or from) other functional groups, it may be best to place these efforts it in a separate functional group such as Performance Management.

              At T-Mobile USA, reporting was done under Marketing Groups to increase agility and ability to react to competition.

              At Medtronic, data was typically a function of IT due to already-available resources. At Boeing, eCAS (Electronic CAS or Commercial Aviation Services), a newer group, was formed to interface with all customers of data internal and external.

              Microsoft, however, was very entrepreneurial. With five lines of business, SAP was used at a financial level and each org had their own internal applications, typically under an Operations and Marketing Perspective, but this changed. The Executive Director of Operations and Operations Management was the primary consumer of data in the org I consulted to.

              At Oracle, where I have a high school friend, working as a Director of Integration.

              In my consulting career, I find a separate group, with voting say on the BoD is best if the data needs are cross-functional. A group such as this would allow for data to be scrubbed for PII compliance and other reasons.

              But when it comes to WebAnalytics, often the internal team who managed the public website managed Omniture or Google Analytics data, and shared it with Marketing or groups that had a need for access to the data.

              Sent from my iPhone