Re: [webanalytics] Site redesign using PJAX

  • Jared Spool
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
      There's a ton of good reasons why this is not a good idea, in addition to breaking how your page-based analytics work.

      The site will be much harder to maintain and much harder to make accessible. It'll be difficult for search engines to crawl, which'll kill your organic SEO. It'll make it very difficult to bookmark.

      Not impossible, but much more difficult.

      Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck.

      Jared

      On Mar 28, 2013, at 7:00 AM, Sugam Khokhani wrote:

      > Hello,
      > The development team at my company is redesigning the entire site using
      > Python. They are also using PJAX which basically means the actual page load
      > does not happen for every page visit.
      > Due to this, the google analytics code on the site triggers only for the
      > first page load on the site and nothing thereafter.
      >
      > Has anyone faced the same issue? Any easy solutions to get this fixed? (I
      > am also assuming that this will hold true for omniture tracking code as
      > well)
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Sugam

    • Judah Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
        Jared is right. But complaining to the Dev team about their choice of
        Python is likely going to be a waste of your time. In the worst case it
        will impact negatively the perception of your competency.

        I'd suggest having a conversation with the person who runs analytics about
        your concerns (if that's not you). In all likelihood they are already aware
        and the topic has already been brought up. Perhaps they aren't aware. If
        it is you, I'd suggest making a list of your concerns and the *solutions*
        to your concerns along with a estimate of the impact of the change on
        current technology, process, team, ways of working, and most importantly
        cost and cycle time for analyzing your data - and booking time with your
        peer in engineering to review it all. Perhaps you will both need to
        escalate. But whatever you do don't just complain about the decision,
        since, as Jared indicated, it's possible to do, and in my experience not
        even too hard (with the right tools/tech), just more complex.

        Look on the bright-side, you will learn new skills - and maybe even invest
        in more appropriate technology once the business learns that often with
        analytics tools you get what you pay for (to a certain point).

        Judah