Site redesign using PJAX

  • Sugam Khokhani
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28 4:00 AM
      Hello,
      The development team at my company is redesigning the entire site using
      Python. They are also using PJAX which basically means the actual page load
      does not happen for every page visit.
      Due to this, the google analytics code on the site triggers only for the
      first page load on the site and nothing thereafter.

      Has anyone faced the same issue? Any easy solutions to get this fixed? (I
      am also assuming that this will hold true for omniture tracking code as
      well)

      Cheers,
      Sugam

    • Matt Curtis
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28 7:03 AM
        They should be able to force execution of the code when the visitor takes
        certain actions.

        If you need some resources, I'd spend some time looking into tracking
        one-page checkout with GA (usually done with AJAX). I think that issue is
        very relevant to your problem and widespread enough that you'll be able to
        find resources + examples.

        Best,

        --
        Matt Curtis
        matt.a.curtis@...

        On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Sugam Khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello,
        > The development team at my company is redesigning the entire site using
        > Python. They are also using PJAX which basically means the actual page load
        > does not happen for every page visit.
        > Due to this, the google analytics code on the site triggers only for the
        > first page load on the site and nothing thereafter.
        >
        > Has anyone faced the same issue? Any easy solutions to get this fixed? (I
        > am also assuming that this will hold true for omniture tracking code as
        > well)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Sugam

      • Jared Spool
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28 1:23 PM
          There's a ton of good reasons why this is not a good idea, in addition to breaking how your page-based analytics work.

          The site will be much harder to maintain and much harder to make accessible. It'll be difficult for search engines to crawl, which'll kill your organic SEO. It'll make it very difficult to bookmark.

          Not impossible, but much more difficult.

          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck.

          Jared

          On Mar 28, 2013, at 7:00 AM, Sugam Khokhani wrote:

          > Hello,
          > The development team at my company is redesigning the entire site using
          > Python. They are also using PJAX which basically means the actual page load
          > does not happen for every page visit.
          > Due to this, the google analytics code on the site triggers only for the
          > first page load on the site and nothing thereafter.
          >
          > Has anyone faced the same issue? Any easy solutions to get this fixed? (I
          > am also assuming that this will hold true for omniture tracking code as
          > well)
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Sugam

        • Judah Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29 8:41 AM
            Jared is right. But complaining to the Dev team about their choice of
            Python is likely going to be a waste of your time. In the worst case it
            will impact negatively the perception of your competency.

            I'd suggest having a conversation with the person who runs analytics about
            your concerns (if that's not you). In all likelihood they are already aware
            and the topic has already been brought up. Perhaps they aren't aware. If
            it is you, I'd suggest making a list of your concerns and the *solutions*
            to your concerns along with a estimate of the impact of the change on
            current technology, process, team, ways of working, and most importantly
            cost and cycle time for analyzing your data - and booking time with your
            peer in engineering to review it all. Perhaps you will both need to
            escalate. But whatever you do don't just complain about the decision,
            since, as Jared indicated, it's possible to do, and in my experience not
            even too hard (with the right tools/tech), just more complex.

            Look on the bright-side, you will learn new skills - and maybe even invest
            in more appropriate technology once the business learns that often with
            analytics tools you get what you pay for (to a certain point).

            Judah