Re: GA - Master profile aggregated funnel report

  • Yuhui
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi Jason,

      I have the same setup as you, i.e. one aggregate master profile, and a bunch of profiles for country sites.

      Here are my suggestions:

      1. Become very good friends with your developers and SEO. Since your page URLs are your page tags, you want to make sure that your reports are minimally affected by changes to page URLs, e.g. localizing URLs.

      2. Unless your website has a very distinct path to conversion, I encourage you to ignore the "Required step" checkbox. This is because your site users could potentially enter your conversion path through other starting / landing pages.

      3. Become an expert in regular expressions. It's all you can use to setup your goals and funnel, because you need to match the patterns in your page URLs, e.g. the country-language pair at the start of each URL.

      3a. All of your pages are almost certainly going to need to start with this pattern: ^/[a-z]{2}\-[a-z]{2}
      That will match with the country-language pairs, i.e. /uk-en, /us-en, /cn-zh, etc.

      3b. You will need to use regex with all of your funnel steps to group your pages per funnel step properly.

      3c. Remember step 1? If your URLs are formatted such that, besides the country-language pair, the paths are the same, e.g. /uk-en/my-wonderful-page is the same as /us-en/my-wonderful-page which is also the same as /cn-zh/my-wonderful-page, then that's going to save you a lot of grief in setting up your funnel.

      But as soon as the URLs start to change, then you have 2 choices:
      i. rewrite your URLs with _trackPageview, or
      ii. improve the regex pattern matching per funnel step

      Both choices have their pros and cons and it depends on your business' needs.

      Hope the above helps!

      Regards,
      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui