Re: Persisting attribution in Site Catalyst

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
      Just because there are ways to stack a variety of values into an eVar, doesn't mean that it makes good sense. Part of the craftsmanship that goes into an analytics implementation is knowing what to leave out. I once inherited an implementation where an eVar was being stuffed with everything that moved on the site, and the reports were so fragmented that nobody could even look at them.

      Start by thinking about the report you would want to see, one that would help you make clearly state something about website behavior, or one that would help you make an obvious change to your website. Then determine how to protect the variable from extraneous information once it gets the data you need.

      best regards,
      Craig
    • dwhaltaboy
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
        Thanks Craig (and everyone else as well)! Your point touches on what I think is our biggest implementation challenge: focusing on what's actually important in decision-making for our business, and not cluttering reporting, time and resources with the unnecessary.

        Lots of great ideas, I'll definitely be digging into these options. Thanks again!

        David