RE: [webanalytics] Persisting attribution in Site Catalyst

  • Blakeley, Robert (Rob)
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21 8:02 AM
      Another different approach would be to place the click in a prop, say in the format of pageName_clickID where page name was the page the link was clicked on.
      So home_action1 and widgetPromo_action1 and cartPage_purchase.

      You could then use pathing to see the sequence.
      Participation in this scenario would surface the actions most involved, an importance ranking rather than a fall out inquiry.

      (We also use the above method in combination with evars and success events by copying the prop values into an evar.)

      Robert Blakeley | Analytics Product Manager | BI
      212.624.3854 | rblakeley@...<mailto:rblakeley@...>

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21 6:12 PM
        Crossvisitparticipation plug-in to create a stack of the internal
        campaigns. Needs an evar for this

        You could also put the internal campaign into a prop and use participation
        events to get visit based attribution.

        Marketing channels for first touch and last touch attribution

        -warren
        Warren Sander
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander
        warrensander@...
        508 740 9316

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 22 8:55 AM
          Just because there are ways to stack a variety of values into an eVar, doesn't mean that it makes good sense. Part of the craftsmanship that goes into an analytics implementation is knowing what to leave out. I once inherited an implementation where an eVar was being stuffed with everything that moved on the site, and the reports were so fragmented that nobody could even look at them.

          Start by thinking about the report you would want to see, one that would help you make clearly state something about website behavior, or one that would help you make an obvious change to your website. Then determine how to protect the variable from extraneous information once it gets the data you need.

          best regards,
          Craig
        • dwhaltaboy
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22 11:17 AM
            Thanks Craig (and everyone else as well)! Your point touches on what I think is our biggest implementation challenge: focusing on what's actually important in decision-making for our business, and not cluttering reporting, time and resources with the unnecessary.

            Lots of great ideas, I'll definitely be digging into these options. Thanks again!

            David