Re: [webanalytics] Persisting attribution in Site Catalyst

  • Matt Curtis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
      If you're trying to use conversion metrics, there is no clean way to do
      that. You could use participation but that still doesn't solve your last
      click issue (because then you're just assigning 100% of the success metrics
      to each eVar values).

      Another idea would be to stack a series of actions a user takes in an eVar.
      So basically take, say, a max of the last five elements a user has clicked
      on and concatenate them sequentially using some sort of delimiter.

      ie,

      Action1:Action2:Action3:Action4
      Action1:Action:2
      Action4:Action5:Action6:Action7:Action8

      As you can see above, the risk here is that you're not capturing a complete
      "path" of the "internal campaign" actions taken, since you've capped the
      number of actions stored at 5. (this choice to limit the number of actions
      you capture, however, is still usually a wise one).

      If you're interested in the internal campaign stacking idea and haven't
      done something like this before, you'll need to add the Cross Visit
      Participation plugin to your scode.js file. This article would also be
      useful:
      http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/cross-visit-participation-inside-omniture-sitecatalyst/

      Hope this helps,

      Matt

      On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, dwhaltaboy
      <david.harris@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > We're currently using query strings in URLs to track clicks on certain
      > buttons/tabs/etc. through our site (essentially internal campaign
      > tracking). How do you handle attribution in cases like this, when clicking
      > a second element during the visit simply overrides the previous values in
      > that query? I understand we can use multiple eVars for this - but is there
      > really a clean way to do that effectively? Any suggestions on the best way
      > to attribute particular click actions to a later conversion would be
      > greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > David

    • Blakeley, Robert (Rob)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
        Another different approach would be to place the click in a prop, say in the format of pageName_clickID where page name was the page the link was clicked on.
        So home_action1 and widgetPromo_action1 and cartPage_purchase.

        You could then use pathing to see the sequence.
        Participation in this scenario would surface the actions most involved, an importance ranking rather than a fall out inquiry.

        (We also use the above method in combination with evars and success events by copying the prop values into an evar.)

        Robert Blakeley | Analytics Product Manager | BI
        212.624.3854 | rblakeley@...<mailto:rblakeley@...>

        david.harris@...<mailto:david.harris%40careerbuilder.com>>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > We're currently using query strings in URLs to track clicks on certain
        > buttons/tabs/etc. through our site (essentially internal campaign
        > tracking). How do you handle attribution in cases like this, when clicking
        > a second element during the visit simply overrides the previous values in
        > that query? I understand we can use multiple eVars for this - but is there
        > really a clean way to do that effectively? Any suggestions on the best way
        > to attribute particular click actions to a later conversion would be
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > David

      • Warren Sander
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2013
          Crossvisitparticipation plug-in to create a stack of the internal
          campaigns. Needs an evar for this

          You could also put the internal campaign into a prop and use participation
          events to get visit based attribution.

          Marketing channels for first touch and last touch attribution

          -warren
          Warren Sander
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander
          warrensander@...
          508 740 9316

        • Craig
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
            Just because there are ways to stack a variety of values into an eVar, doesn't mean that it makes good sense. Part of the craftsmanship that goes into an analytics implementation is knowing what to leave out. I once inherited an implementation where an eVar was being stuffed with everything that moved on the site, and the reports were so fragmented that nobody could even look at them.

            Start by thinking about the report you would want to see, one that would help you make clearly state something about website behavior, or one that would help you make an obvious change to your website. Then determine how to protect the variable from extraneous information once it gets the data you need.

            best regards,
            Craig
          • dwhaltaboy
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
              Thanks Craig (and everyone else as well)! Your point touches on what I think is our biggest implementation challenge: focusing on what's actually important in decision-making for our business, and not cluttering reporting, time and resources with the unnecessary.

              Lots of great ideas, I'll definitely be digging into these options. Thanks again!

              David