SiteCatalyst integration with backend user profile databases

  • harshil
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12 2:18 AM
      Hi All,

      I am doing web analytics for a portal.
      One of the business requirements is to perform segmentation on visitor's data using attributes from the user profile database. Eg: Job role, Department, etc).

      Now for this, unique user ID can be passed from user profile database to SiteCatalyst on the visitor's visit.

      Post this, can SiteCatalyst, using the unique user ID fetch the attribute values from the backend profile database and perform segmentation?

      Please let me know how I can with SiteCatalyst fulfill this requirement?
      Thanks in advance.
    • adamgreco
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12 5:58 AM
        You can upload any additional attributes you'd like as SAINT Classifications of the unique User ID. That will allow you to segment on them...

        Adam Greco

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am doing web analytics for a portal.
        > One of the business requirements is to perform segmentation on visitor's data using attributes from the user profile database. Eg: Job role, Department, etc).
        >
        > Now for this, unique user ID can be passed from user profile database to SiteCatalyst on the visitor's visit.
        >
        > Post this, can SiteCatalyst, using the unique user ID fetch the attribute values from the backend profile database and perform segmentation?
        >
        > Please let me know how I can with SiteCatalyst fulfill this requirement?
        > Thanks in advance.

      • Warren Sander
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12 12:19 PM
          Or you can get a DBvista rule to set some evar or prop when the userID is
          seen. that way you can use that value to segment all your users. Saint is
          free and forward and backward looking. DBvista costs money and (but) is
          only forward looking.

          --
          -warren

          Warren Sander
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/warrensander
          warrensander@...
          508 740 9316

        • harshil
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14 4:42 AM
            Thanks Adam.

            But as far as I know (I am quite new to sitecatalyst), I can add additional attributes to a SAINT file but the values for those attributes need to be captured on the user's browser end (from his activities/browsing). (Please correct me if I am wrong).

            However what I need is that if the unique user ID is passed to sitecatalyst in some eVar or prop, can SiteCatalyst by itself, through some inbuilt functionality, query the client portal's backend Access Management database and extract the required attribute values for segmentation?

            If no, how can I implement this requirement wherein I will be provided only the user ID of visitors from the client portal's backend Access Management database and I have to fetch the remaining required attribute values into SiteCatalyst for segmentation?

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "adamgreco" wrote:

            > You can upload any additional attributes you'd like as SAINT Classifications of the unique User ID. That will allow you to segment on them...
            >
            > Adam Greco
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I am doing web analytics for a portal.
            > > One of the business requirements is to perform segmentation on visitor's data using attributes from the user profile database. Eg: Job role, Department, etc).
            > >
            > > Now for this, unique user ID can be passed from user profile database to SiteCatalyst on the visitor's visit.
            > >
            > > Post this, can SiteCatalyst, using the unique user ID fetch the attribute values from the backend profile database and perform segmentation?
            > >
            > > Please let me know how I can with SiteCatalyst fulfill this requirement?
            > > Thanks in advance.

          • adamgreco
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 14 8:02 AM
              Harshil,

              As pointed out on this thread, your main two options are using SAINT to apply meta-data to the UD value in the eVar or to use a DB VISTA rule to pass it to another eVar in real-time. However, the DB VISTA rule approach would require you to somehow put the customer ID's and desired meta-data on Adobe's servers via FTP and keep it updated.

              My advice would be to use SAINT and work out a way to have your client automate the process of sending SAINT its client file via FTP on a weekly basis, preferably, only sending changes/adds each week...

              Adam G

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" wrote:

              > Thanks Adam.
              >
              > But as far as I know (I am quite new to sitecatalyst), I can add additional attributes to a SAINT file but the values for those attributes need to be captured on the user's browser end (from his activities/browsing). (Please correct me if I am wrong).
              >
              > However what I need is that if the unique user ID is passed to sitecatalyst in some eVar or prop, can SiteCatalyst by itself, through some inbuilt functionality, query the client portal's backend Access Management database and extract the required attribute values for segmentation?
              >
              > If no, how can I implement this requirement wherein I will be provided only the user ID of visitors from the client portal's backend Access Management database and I have to fetch the remaining required attribute values into SiteCatalyst for segmentation?
              >
              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "adamgreco" wrote:
              > >
              > > You can upload any additional attributes you'd like as SAINT Classifications of the unique User ID. That will allow you to segment on them...
              > >
              > > Adam Greco
              > >
              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > I am doing web analytics for a portal.
              > > > One of the business requirements is to perform segmentation on visitor's data using attributes from the user profile database. Eg: Job role, Department, etc).
              > > >
              > > > Now for this, unique user ID can be passed from user profile database to SiteCatalyst on the visitor's visit.
              > > >
              > > > Post this, can SiteCatalyst, using the unique user ID fetch the attribute values from the backend profile database and perform segmentation?
              > > >
              > > > Please let me know how I can with SiteCatalyst fulfill this requirement?
              > > > Thanks in advance.

            • Warren Sander
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15 10:58 AM
                I agree with Adam except in the instance when you need to have the past not
                change. If you upload via SAINT then when you make a change it will revert
                all the previous data for that key to the new values (overwriting) the old
                values. This is fine if you don't have a 'class' system for these unique
                id's where a customer might graduate from 1 star to 2 star etc customer. If
                you update the SAINT classification for them then it will work back in time
                and all data connect to that unique ID will have the new values replacing
                the old values. You can of course use date ranges but that starts getting
                really hard to keep track of with ongoing changes.

                If your data is static and you don't care about changes in the present
                effecting data in the past then SAINT is the way to go. But if you want to
                make periodic update/changes to the data you are uploading then you
                probably need to bite the bullet and do a VistaDB rule. it's more work and
                has costs associated with it and then you can get into the entire idea of
                classifying the data you put into the new evar via the VisitaDB rule.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 20 5:49 AM
                  Thanks Adam.

                  That surely solves my query.

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "adamgreco" <adamgreco@...> wrote:

                  > Harshil,
                  >
                  > As pointed out on this thread, your main two options are using SAINT to apply meta-data to the UD value in the eVar or to use a DB VISTA rule to pass it to another eVar in real-time. However, the DB VISTA rule approach would require you to somehow put the customer ID's and desired meta-data on Adobe's servers via FTP and keep it updated.
                  >
                  > My advice would be to use SAINT and work out a way to have your client automate the process of sending SAINT its client file via FTP on a weekly basis, preferably, only sending changes/adds each week...
                  >
                  > Adam G
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Adam.
                  > >
                  > > But as far as I know (I am quite new to sitecatalyst), I can add additional attributes to a SAINT file but the values for those attributes need to be captured on the user's browser end (from his activities/browsing). (Please correct me if I am wrong).
                  > >
                  > > However what I need is that if the unique user ID is passed to sitecatalyst in some eVar or prop, can SiteCatalyst by itself, through some inbuilt functionality, query the client portal's backend Access Management database and extract the required attribute values for segmentation?
                  > >
                  > > If no, how can I implement this requirement wherein I will be provided only the user ID of visitors from the client portal's backend Access Management database and I have to fetch the remaining required attribute values into SiteCatalyst for segmentation?
                  > >
                  > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "adamgreco" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > You can upload any additional attributes you'd like as SAINT Classifications of the unique User ID. That will allow you to segment on them...
                  > > >
                  > > > Adam Greco

                • harshil
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 20 5:52 AM
                    Thanks Warren. This info is really helpful. Since here there is mostly static attributes, the SAINT approach will be the way to go!

                    Thanks again.

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Warren Sander <warrensander@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > sitecatalyst in some eVar or prop, can SiteCatalyst by itself, through some
                    > > inbuilt functionality, query the client portal's backend Access Management
                    > > database and extract the required attribute values for segmentation?
                    > > >
                    > > > If no, how can I implement this requirement wherein I will be provided
                    > > only the user ID of visitors from the client portal's backend Access
                    > > Management database and I have to fetch the remaining required attribute
                    > > values into SiteCatalyst for segmentation?

                    > > Classifications of the unique User ID. That will allow you to segment on
                    > > them...

                    > > visitor's data using attributes from the user profile database. Eg: Job
                    > > role, Department, etc).

                    > > database to SiteCatalyst on the visitor's visit.

                    > > attribute values from the backend profile database and perform segmentation?

                  • harshil
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 25 3:44 AM
                      Hello Warren,

                      Supposing that I get a weekly user data file from the client with data about new registrations to the portal.

                      So for a new user registered on tuesday, I will receive and upload the SAINT data on next Monday.

                      Will this help me apply classifications to the sitecatalyst data captured for the user for time from tuesday to Monday (Past week data when the user's details were not uploaded in SAINT)?

                      Please note that the user ID will be captured from the instance the user registers and the same will be the first column of the SAINT file.

                    • Warren Sander
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26 8:52 AM
                        actually saint will classify back to the beginning of your sitecatalyst
                        installation for any key you put data into.

                        so the prop/evar you put the initial data into is the key. As long as that
                        key exists or has existed the classified data will be applied against it.

                        so if you put 'superman' into evar1 as the 'username' (you should never put
                        personally identifiable information into sitecatalyst so no email addresses
                        etc)

                        you have a report based on username and you will see superman and whatever
                        metrics you want like visits = 10

                        when you create the classification you could add in
                        hometown
                        current city
                        like kryptonite
                        flys
                        does twitter

                        etc

                        when you classify out this record
                        smallville
                        metropolis
                        no
                        yes
                        no

                        then that information will be applied to every record where 'superman' is
                        the key and you can then report on everyone in metropolis and get superman,
                        lois lane (no pii), jimmy olsen etc

                        but if superman ever moved to gotham city then all reports where you used
                        to see him in metropolis would change to gotham city.

                        so if you do a tiered type of membership where you go from bronze to silver
                        to gold membership you can't use classification for membership tier because
                        when the member changes tiers then their entire history also changes. Even
                        if you do bronze member Y/N, silver member Y/N and gold member Y/N
                        as separate classifications when you set one of them it will go all the way
                        back and change all values to the new one if you overwrite and won't change
                        anything if you don't overwrite.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 27 11:19 PM
                          Thanks Warren. Very nicely explained. That will be really really helpful.