RE: [webanalytics] Re: Adobe's Processing Rules

  • Blakeley, Robert (Rob)
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
      1. While they can concatenate, they can't parse.

      Example:
      Let's say you have a link tracking value consisting of the page the link was on when clicked, the collection the link was part of (a module), and the id of the individual link: HomePage_Promo_Link3.
      Now let's say you want various combinations of granularity in different variables: p1=module, p2=page_module, p3=module_linkID, p4=page_module_linkID.
      It would be more efficient to parse with a Processing Rule than use the beacon and pass all those characters in the call (not to mention cutting dev out of the effort).

      2. I did use processing rules to correctly set a subscription success event after our coders de-prioritized the work (for 3 years running). The classic Processing Rules use case.

      Robert Blakeley | Analytics Product Manager | BI
      212.624.3854 | rblakeley@...<mailto:rblakeley@...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
        You also can reset the cache through your CDN.

        I have to do this a lot with AB testing.

        matt.a.curtis@...
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattacurtis

      • Craig Scribner
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
          Thanks Rob, I included your parsing recommendation in my presentation, along
          with your #2 example.

          Let me know if you think of anything else I should mention.

          Best regards,

          Craig

          212.624.3854 | rblakeley@... <mailto:rblakeley%40webmd.net>

          From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
            Thanks Matt, I didn't know this. I'll check to see how to do this with the
            companies I consult-it would definitely have saved me some serious
            headaches!

            -Craig

            matt.a.curtis@... <mailto:matt.a.curtis%40gmail.com>
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattacurtis