RE: [webanalytics] Re: Adobe's Processing Rules

  • Craig Scribner
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
      Thanks Kevin! I hadn't noticed the issue of Events not being available as a
      condition for a rule, but I agree that the Products rule omission is a real
      kicker. The other issue I've had to work around is that Processing Rules
      can't tell the difference between a normal (page view) call and a tracking
      link call.

      But even in its unfinished state I've had some amazing wins with it. One of
      the most painful things I ever did in Omniture was taking a variable and
      deciding to use it for something else. The Javascript was clean, but I
      forgot that some people will keep browsing the site using a cached version
      of the JS code, and as a result I had a mix of values in my reports that
      were really hard to back out in the dashboards we had set up. With
      processing rules the switch would have been clean and immediate.

      Do you have any of those kinds of experiences I could share?

      Thanks,

      Craig

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
        1. While they can concatenate, they can't parse.

        Example:
        Let's say you have a link tracking value consisting of the page the link was on when clicked, the collection the link was part of (a module), and the id of the individual link: HomePage_Promo_Link3.
        Now let's say you want various combinations of granularity in different variables: p1=module, p2=page_module, p3=module_linkID, p4=page_module_linkID.
        It would be more efficient to parse with a Processing Rule than use the beacon and pass all those characters in the call (not to mention cutting dev out of the effort).

        2. I did use processing rules to correctly set a subscription success event after our coders de-prioritized the work (for 3 years running). The classic Processing Rules use case.

        Robert Blakeley | Analytics Product Manager | BI
        212.624.3854 | rblakeley@...<mailto:rblakeley@...>

        , "Craig" wrote:

        > I'm presenting at the Adobe summit in March on Processing Rules. If you
        haven't used them already I strongly recommend learning how--especially if
        the company/companies you assist have a lot of red tape around their site
        update process, and if you have a long list of things you wish you could fix
        in your Omniture implementation.

        > But for those of you who have already had experience with the tool, could
        you please let me know of any successes or pitfalls you've encountered? I've
        got some pretty good ideas already, but I'd hate to miss some obvious ones.

        > Also, if any of you are still thinking about coming out to Salt Lake City
        for the conference, they gave us (presenters) a promo code for a $200
        discount. Contact me directly for that: craig at trackingfirst dot com.

      • Matt Curtis
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
          You also can reset the cache through your CDN.

          I have to do this a lot with AB testing.

          Matt Curtis
          matt.a.curtis@...
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattacurtis

        • Craig Scribner
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
            Thanks Rob, I included your parsing recommendation in my presentation, along
            with your #2 example.

            Let me know if you think of anything else I should mention.

            Best regards,

            Craig

            212.624.3854 | rblakeley@... <mailto:rblakeley%40webmd.net>

            From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
              Thanks Matt, I didn't know this. I'll check to see how to do this with the
              companies I consult-it would definitely have saved me some serious
              headaches!

              -Craig

              matt.a.curtis@... <mailto:matt.a.curtis%40gmail.com>
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattacurtis