Using main website GA account on Facebook pages

  • Sid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2013
      I'm thinking of using main website GA account code on Facebook fan and app pages with cross-domain tracking implementation.

      Is there any caveat that anybody is aware of, i.e, cookie reset, double counting or bad practice? Would really appreciate if you can share your experiences?

      Thanks in advance.
      Sid
    • G Scott Stukey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2013
        There are issues with referring domains with GA FB App tracking. From what I recall, you have to make sure you ensure there's some redirect that gets tracked properly.

        This URL is a start, but can't find the page that goes into fuller detail.
        http://www.webdigi.co.uk/blog/apps/fbgat-facebook-google-analytics-tracker/

        Hope this helps.

        -G Scott Stukey

        e. gscottstukey@...
        t. @gscottstukey
        m. 201.406.1899

      • Yuhui
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2013
          Hi Sid,

          Personally, I'd advise against using your main website GA account to track your FB pages. The main reason is to prevent report "pollution".

          Consider these 2 questions:
          1. How easily could you analyse your main website, given that you would always have to segment out the FB traffic? When people rush you for reports, having to constantly segment your data can become a nightmare.
          Related to that, what if someone who is unfamiliar with your setup decides to do some analysis on your "main website" and unknowingly analyses the FB reports too?

          2. Assuming you use Goals to measure your KPIs, then mixing FB traffic with your main website's will undoubtedly affect your conversion rate. It will also most definitely affect your channel analysis, i.e. determining the channels that have good conversion rates. How will this affect your organisation's perceived performance?

          I assume that your main website GA profile is the "gold standard" by which your organisation's performance is measured. Therefore, it is absolutely essential that you do not cause the reports there to be disputed or questioned.

          I strongly suggest that you create a new profile for tracking your FB pages specifically.

          The only exception to the above is if your FB page *is* your main website.

          Regards,
          Yu Hui
          Twitter: @yuhui