Re: [webanalytics] google analytics excel add-in

  • Bror Skardhamar
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hi, have you tried Analytics Canvas?

      http://www.analyticscanvas.com/

      I've only heard good things about this.

      *

      Best Regards
      Bror Skardhamar
      Personal <http://goo.gl/OgpIL> | LinkedIn <http://goo.gl/Gjyf3> |
      Twitter<http://goo.gl/Ya4vk>
      *

      2013/1/8 sibel <airsibel@...>

      > **
      >

      > Hi guys,
      > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
      > new products out there..
      >
      > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
      >
      > They are full of bugs
      >
      > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > sibel akcekaya

    • Stephane Hamel
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
        Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is more complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...

        But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and where it doesn't work.

        That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This has become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel plugins.

        Stéphane Hamel, MBA, CWA
        Director, Strategic Services
        LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
        Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
        CardinalPath.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
        > new products out there..
        >
        > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
        >
        > They are full of bugs
        >
        > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > sibel akcekaya

      • Anderson Hiroshi
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
          Hi Sibel,

          nowadays i'm using a lot the analytics canvas, but it doesn't fit my real
          needs. It's possible that for and how you are going to use it'll be much
          better than the excel plugins and it exports right to an excel file and the
          feature of breaking the query into single query by day to avoid estimated
          results is very useful.

          The reason that i'm leaving the analytics canvas is that I always works
          with at least 150 profiles. If I wanna do the same query to another profile
          i necessarily need to recreate the query, unlike the other excel plugin I
          used that allowed to change just the profile id.

          In other words, it takes me a lot of time just to do a simple query. Of
          course, at first, it isn't a big deal, but doing this every day is not so
          easy.

          GA data using Google Docs and Apps Scripts: Looking at the documentation,
          if i'm not mistaken, the amount of data possible to retrieve is limited, so
          if you have an historical profile maybe it cannot retrieve all data in one
          query!

          Just like you i'm looking for another solution, maybe some ETL tools,
          Pentaho for example, but it seems like killing an ant with a bazooka =)
          And it's not so user friendly. It takes more time to learn than analytics
          canvas.

          If you guys have some recommendations about ETL tools i will be very
          thankful.

          Thanks,

          2013/1/8 Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...>

          > **
          >

          > Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and
          > I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is more
          > complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...
          >
          > But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the
          > past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and where
          > it doesn't work.
          >
          > That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This has
          > become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel plugins.
          >
          > St�phane Hamel, MBA, CWA
          > Director, Strategic Services
          > LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
          > Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
          > CardinalPath.com
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi guys,
          > > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there
          > are
          > > new products out there..
          > >
          > > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
          > >
          > > They are full of bugs
          > >
          > > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > sibel akcekaya

          Anderson H. Kuwahara
          (99733-9666)

        • shufflepoint
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
            Hi Sibel,
            I'd be happy to give you a demo of ShufflePoint.
            - Chris

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:

            > Hi guys,
            > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
            > new products out there..
            >
            > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
            >
            > They are full of bugs
            >
            > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > sibel akcekaya

          • Tim
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2013
              If you haven't given Shufflepoint a look, I'd recommend it. My use of it is to get multiple queries -- structure/filter/segments/time range highly, highly customizable -- auto-updating in Excel, and then putting pivot tables and named ranges on top of that data to build pretty slick and interactive displays of the data.

              I'm also in a situation where these workbooks get shared with our clients, and they have to support both Mac and Windows -- the portability of the workbooks is fantastic (as in: no configuration work, no macros; once I've got the workbook set up, others can open it and refresh the data smoothly).

              I don't want to sound like too much of a homer, so:

              1. There's a bit of a learning curve to get going at first (but they've got a couple of blog posts that go step-by-step, and then you're off to the races)

              2. The Analytics Query Builder isn't going to win any beauty contests in its own right...but it's got good usability.

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "shufflepoint" wrote:

              > Hi Sibel,
              > I'd be happy to give you a demo of ShufflePoint.
              > - Chris
              >
              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi guys,
              > > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
              > > new products out there..
              > >
              > > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
              > >
              > > They are full of bugs
              > >
              > > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
              > >
              > > thanks
              > >
              > > sibel akcekaya

            • G Scott Stukey
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2013
                I also have to comment that I've had a great experience with ShufflePoint. I built out some unique queries that helped analyze a massive site. Sadly my usages was too client specific to scale, but generic diagnostic dashboards could be created and scaled with only a simple change of the account cell. If the client allowed for better tracking implementation, I'd be excited to see what Shufflepoint would be able to do for them!

                Transparency: I am a current user of ShufflePoint for 1 client. I was not prompted or asked to provide this statement.

              • sibel
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Hi Stephane,
                  Thanks for your help.

                  I basically want to set up all my reports in Excel and then later I just
                  want to refresh them with one click, like I do with excel plugins for
                  Omniture.

                  For example I want to see my reports daily, weekly, monthly or on a
                  preselect dates..I even could not achieve to create daily report on Next
                  Analytics, maybe there is that capability but I could not find it..

                  or I want to look at all my traffic sources by date, and I want to see all
                  my traffic source as a column (cpc, organic, display etc..)

                  the problem is each time I try sthg, I can't either find the way or I end
                  up with a bug so I really can't move forward and each time i have to go
                  back to GA to pull data manually, which is such a wasting of my time.

                  Omniture's in-house developed tools, help me all these excel report
                  templates easily and I need sthg like that..

                  Dashboards are not useful for me as I want my data in Excel

                  I take a look at Analytics Canvas product

                  sibel akcekaya

                  On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and
                  > I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is more
                  > complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...
                  >
                  > But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the
                  > past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and where
                  > it doesn't work.
                  >
                  > That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This has
                  > become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel plugins.
                  >
                  > St�phane Hamel, MBA, CWA
                  > Director, Strategic Services
                  > LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
                  > Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
                  > CardinalPath.com
                  >

                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi guys,
                  > > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there
                  > are
                  > > new products out there..
                  > >
                  > > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
                  > >
                  > > They are full of bugs
                  > >
                  > > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > >
                  > > sibel akcekaya

                • Raghu Kashyap
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                    Has anyone ever compared the clicks from 2C/Trade doubler/Integral etc.. and your own site analytics tool (GA/Webtrends/Site Catalyst etc..?

                    Recently we went through this exercise and we are curious if others have done this and what they found out.

                    Thanks,
                    Raghu

                  • jkatinger2002
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                      Unless I'm missing something, ShufflePoint can do exactly what you are asking with GA data Sibel. If you want to send me a spreadsheet layout of what you are trying to do I can take a crack at showing you.

                    • sibel
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Hi
                        I have not tried that one yet:)

                        thanks so much

                        sibel

                        On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM, jkatinger2002 <jkatinger@...
                        > wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Unless I'm missing something, ShufflePoint can do exactly what you are
                        > asking with GA data Sibel. If you want to send me a spreadsheet layout of
                        > what you are trying to do I can take a crack at showing you.
                        >
                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Stephane,
                        > > Thanks for your help.
                        > >
                        > > I basically want to set up all my reports in Excel and then later I just
                        > > want to refresh them with one click, like I do with excel plugins for
                        > > Omniture.
                        > >
                        > > For example I want to see my reports daily, weekly, monthly or on a
                        > > preselect dates..I even could not achieve to create daily report on Next
                        > > Analytics, maybe there is that capability but I could not find it..
                        > >
                        > > or I want to look at all my traffic sources by date, and I want to see
                        > all
                        > > my traffic source as a column (cpc, organic, display etc..)
                        > >
                        > > the problem is each time I try sthg, I can't either find the way or I end
                        > > up with a bug so I really can't move forward and each time i have to go
                        > > back to GA to pull data manually, which is such a wasting of my time.
                        > >
                        > > Omniture's in-house developed tools, help me all these excel report
                        > > templates easily and I need sthg like that..
                        > >
                        > > Dashboards are not useful for me as I want my data in Excel
                        > >
                        > > I take a look at Analytics Canvas product
                        > >
                        > > sibel akcekaya
                        > >

                        > > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Stephane Hamel wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > **
                        > > >

                        > > > Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and
                        > > > I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is
                        > more
                        > > > complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...
                        > > >
                        > > > But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the
                        > > > past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and
                        > where
                        > > > it doesn't work.
                        > > >
                        > > > That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This
                        > has
                        > > > become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel
                        > plugins.
                        > > >
                        > > > St�phane Hamel, MBA, CWA
                        > > > Director, Strategic Services
                        > > > LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
                        > > > Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
                        > > > CardinalPath.com

                        > there
                        > > > are

                        > Tatvic..

                      • sibel
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                          Addition to this thread:
                          I have lots of custom events in GA and I would love to be able to refresh
                          them in excel all the time, TATVIS looks like has a bug, because it only
                          brings to me certain events.
                          Next analytics can't get me event details

                          any ideas how to pull all event data in excel (i want event category, event
                          action and value) along with metrics i want, in a defined date granularity

                          sibel

                        • analyticscanvas
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                            Hi all- James from Analytics Canvas here.

                            I just wanted to add that there is in fact a functionality to save query definitions to a library that means its not necessary to recreate them each time a separate large number of profiles is selected. Also, its possible to import lists of profiles (and to save selected profiles to a file) which make it easier to manage even hundreds of profiles at once.

                            But we hear what people are saying when they have hundreds of profiles (and we know people are often using our tool with 500+ profiles)- while its certainly possible, its not as easy to use as it could be.

                            We are adding some new functionality in the next version with some filtering and searching capability, as well as having the way profiles are selected and edited improved.

                            If you have an ETL need with google analytics, I encourage you to check us out and feel free to contact me with any questions.

                            Cheers.