Re: google analytics excel add-in

  • ju2ltd
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
      Sibel,
      Take a look at this YouTube clip - it's not an excel add on but its my
      preferred way to pull down GA data using Google Docs and Apps Scripts
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyb7yw_PNZs
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyb7yw_PNZs>

      Jim.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope
      there are
      > new products out there..
      >
      > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now
      Tatvic..

      > They are full of bugs
      >
      > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > sibel akcekaya

    • Bror Skardhamar
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hi, have you tried Analytics Canvas?

        http://www.analyticscanvas.com/

        I've only heard good things about this.

        *
        *
        *

        Best Regards
        Bror Skardhamar
        Personal <http://goo.gl/OgpIL> | LinkedIn <http://goo.gl/Gjyf3> |
        Twitter<http://goo.gl/Ya4vk>
        *

        2013/1/8 sibel <airsibel@...>

        > **
        >

        > Hi guys,
        > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
        > new products out there..
        >
        > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
        >
        > They are full of bugs
        >
        > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > sibel akcekaya

      • Stephane Hamel
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
          Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is more complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...

          But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and where it doesn't work.

          That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This has become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel plugins.

          Stéphane Hamel, MBA, CWA
          Director, Strategic Services
          LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
          Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
          CardinalPath.com

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
          > new products out there..
          >
          > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
          >
          > They are full of bugs
          >
          > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > sibel akcekaya

        • Anderson Hiroshi
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2013
            Hi Sibel,

            nowadays i'm using a lot the analytics canvas, but it doesn't fit my real
            needs. It's possible that for and how you are going to use it'll be much
            better than the excel plugins and it exports right to an excel file and the
            feature of breaking the query into single query by day to avoid estimated
            results is very useful.

            The reason that i'm leaving the analytics canvas is that I always works
            with at least 150 profiles. If I wanna do the same query to another profile
            i necessarily need to recreate the query, unlike the other excel plugin I
            used that allowed to change just the profile id.

            In other words, it takes me a lot of time just to do a simple query. Of
            course, at first, it isn't a big deal, but doing this every day is not so
            easy.

            GA data using Google Docs and Apps Scripts: Looking at the documentation,
            if i'm not mistaken, the amount of data possible to retrieve is limited, so
            if you have an historical profile maybe it cannot retrieve all data in one
            query!

            Just like you i'm looking for another solution, maybe some ETL tools,
            Pentaho for example, but it seems like killing an ant with a bazooka =)
            And it's not so user friendly. It takes more time to learn than analytics
            canvas.

            If you guys have some recommendations about ETL tools i will be very
            thankful.

            Thanks,

            2013/1/8 Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...>

            > **
            >

            > Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and
            > I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is more
            > complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...
            >
            > But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the
            > past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and where
            > it doesn't work.
            >
            > That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This has
            > become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel plugins.
            >
            > St�phane Hamel, MBA, CWA
            > Director, Strategic Services
            > LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
            > Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
            > CardinalPath.com
            >

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi guys,
            > > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there
            > are
            > > new products out there..
            > >
            > > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
            > >
            > > They are full of bugs
            > >
            > > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > sibel akcekaya

            Anderson H. Kuwahara
            (99733-9666)

          • shufflepoint
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
              Hi Sibel,
              I'd be happy to give you a demo of ShufflePoint.
              - Chris

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:

              > Hi guys,
              > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
              > new products out there..
              >
              > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
              >
              > They are full of bugs
              >
              > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > sibel akcekaya

            • Tim
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2013
                If you haven't given Shufflepoint a look, I'd recommend it. My use of it is to get multiple queries -- structure/filter/segments/time range highly, highly customizable -- auto-updating in Excel, and then putting pivot tables and named ranges on top of that data to build pretty slick and interactive displays of the data.

                I'm also in a situation where these workbooks get shared with our clients, and they have to support both Mac and Windows -- the portability of the workbooks is fantastic (as in: no configuration work, no macros; once I've got the workbook set up, others can open it and refresh the data smoothly).

                I don't want to sound like too much of a homer, so:

                1. There's a bit of a learning curve to get going at first (but they've got a couple of blog posts that go step-by-step, and then you're off to the races)

                2. The Analytics Query Builder isn't going to win any beauty contests in its own right...but it's got good usability.

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "shufflepoint" wrote:

                > Hi Sibel,
                > I'd be happy to give you a demo of ShufflePoint.
                > - Chris
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi guys,
                > > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there are
                > > new products out there..
                > >
                > > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
                > >
                > > They are full of bugs
                > >
                > > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
                > >
                > > thanks
                > >
                > > sibel akcekaya

              • G Scott Stukey
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2013
                  I also have to comment that I've had a great experience with ShufflePoint. I built out some unique queries that helped analyze a massive site. Sadly my usages was too client specific to scale, but generic diagnostic dashboards could be created and scaled with only a simple change of the account cell. If the client allowed for better tracking implementation, I'd be excited to see what Shufflepoint would be able to do for them!

                  Transparency: I am a current user of ShufflePoint for 1 client. I was not prompted or asked to provide this statement.

                • sibel
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 13, 2013
                    Hi Stephane,
                    Thanks for your help.

                    I basically want to set up all my reports in Excel and then later I just
                    want to refresh them with one click, like I do with excel plugins for
                    Omniture.

                    For example I want to see my reports daily, weekly, monthly or on a
                    preselect dates..I even could not achieve to create daily report on Next
                    Analytics, maybe there is that capability but I could not find it..

                    or I want to look at all my traffic sources by date, and I want to see all
                    my traffic source as a column (cpc, organic, display etc..)

                    the problem is each time I try sthg, I can't either find the way or I end
                    up with a bug so I really can't move forward and each time i have to go
                    back to GA to pull data manually, which is such a wasting of my time.

                    Omniture's in-house developed tools, help me all these excel report
                    templates easily and I need sthg like that..

                    Dashboards are not useful for me as I want my data in Excel

                    I take a look at Analytics Canvas product

                    sibel akcekaya

                    On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Stephane Hamel <shamel67@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and
                    > I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is more
                    > complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...
                    >
                    > But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the
                    > past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and where
                    > it doesn't work.
                    >
                    > That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This has
                    > become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel plugins.
                    >
                    > St�phane Hamel, MBA, CWA
                    > Director, Strategic Services
                    > LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
                    > Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
                    > CardinalPath.com
                    >

                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi guys,
                    > > I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just hope there
                    > are
                    > > new products out there..
                    > >
                    > > All the add-ins I use always failed me. Next Analytics and now Tatvic..
                    > >
                    > > They are full of bugs
                    > >
                    > > Are there any recommendations for products without bugs?
                    > >
                    > > thanks
                    > >
                    > > sibel akcekaya

                  • Raghu Kashyap
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                      Has anyone ever compared the clicks from 2C/Trade doubler/Integral etc.. and your own site analytics tool (GA/Webtrends/Site Catalyst etc..?

                      Recently we went through this exercise and we are curious if others have done this and what they found out.

                      Thanks,
                      Raghu

                    • jkatinger2002
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Unless I'm missing something, ShufflePoint can do exactly what you are asking with GA data Sibel. If you want to send me a spreadsheet layout of what you are trying to do I can take a crack at showing you.

                      • sibel
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
                          Hi
                          I have not tried that one yet:)

                          thanks so much

                          sibel

                          On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM, jkatinger2002 <jkatinger@...
                          > wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Unless I'm missing something, ShufflePoint can do exactly what you are
                          > asking with GA data Sibel. If you want to send me a spreadsheet layout of
                          > what you are trying to do I can take a crack at showing you.
                          >
                          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, sibel wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Stephane,
                          > > Thanks for your help.
                          > >
                          > > I basically want to set up all my reports in Excel and then later I just
                          > > want to refresh them with one click, like I do with excel plugins for
                          > > Omniture.
                          > >
                          > > For example I want to see my reports daily, weekly, monthly or on a
                          > > preselect dates..I even could not achieve to create daily report on Next
                          > > Analytics, maybe there is that capability but I could not find it..
                          > >
                          > > or I want to look at all my traffic sources by date, and I want to see
                          > all
                          > > my traffic source as a column (cpc, organic, display etc..)
                          > >
                          > > the problem is each time I try sthg, I can't either find the way or I end
                          > > up with a bug so I really can't move forward and each time i have to go
                          > > back to GA to pull data manually, which is such a wasting of my time.
                          > >
                          > > Omniture's in-house developed tools, help me all these excel report
                          > > templates easily and I need sthg like that..
                          > >
                          > > Dashboards are not useful for me as I want my data in Excel
                          > >
                          > > I take a look at Analytics Canvas product
                          > >
                          > > sibel akcekaya
                          > >

                          > > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Stephane Hamel wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > **
                          > > >

                          > > > Sibel - I used a lot of Excel plugins, particularly Next Analytics, and
                          > > > I've done amazing things with it. Admittedly, doing advanced stuff is
                          > more
                          > > > complex and sometimes comes out as if it is impossible or buggy...
                          > > >
                          > > > But... as you say, Excel plugins have been discussed many times in the
                          > > > past. What would help is if you state what you are trying to do and
                          > where
                          > > > it doesn't work.
                          > > >
                          > > > That being said, someone else also recommended Analytics Canvas. This
                          > has
                          > > > become my solution of choice and is a different approach from Excel
                          > plugins.
                          > > >
                          > > > St�phane Hamel, MBA, CWA
                          > > > Director, Strategic Services
                          > > > LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel
                          > > > Twitter: @SHamelCP | @CardinalPath
                          > > > CardinalPath.com

                          > there
                          > > > are

                          > Tatvic..

                        • sibel
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                            Addition to this thread:
                            I have lots of custom events in GA and I would love to be able to refresh
                            them in excel all the time, TATVIS looks like has a bug, because it only
                            brings to me certain events.
                            Next analytics can't get me event details

                            any ideas how to pull all event data in excel (i want event category, event
                            action and value) along with metrics i want, in a defined date granularity

                            sibel

                          • analyticscanvas
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                              Hi all- James from Analytics Canvas here.

                              I just wanted to add that there is in fact a functionality to save query definitions to a library that means its not necessary to recreate them each time a separate large number of profiles is selected. Also, its possible to import lists of profiles (and to save selected profiles to a file) which make it easier to manage even hundreds of profiles at once.

                              But we hear what people are saying when they have hundreds of profiles (and we know people are often using our tool with 500+ profiles)- while its certainly possible, its not as easy to use as it could be.

                              We are adding some new functionality in the next version with some filtering and searching capability, as well as having the way profiles are selected and edited improved.

                              If you have an ETL need with google analytics, I encourage you to check us out and feel free to contact me with any questions.

                              Cheers.