Re: Google's encrypted search impact on Omniture paid search keyword reports

  • VaBeachKevin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      Google should still be passing in the searched keyword when clicking on a paid search ad within the Google Search results.

      How old is your SiteCatalyst s_code? If you are using something prior to H.20.3 then you could be losing a lot of search terms simply because of the code itself. A few years ago Google changed how they structure their referring URL's, and they ended up moving the searched keywords to the very end of it. The problem with that is the SiteCatalyst code trun­cates the refer­ring URL at 255 characters in order to man­age the length of the image request. If you take a look at a referring URL from Google there is a significant amount of data prior to the searched keywords which are at the very end. Adobe made a change to the s_code starting with version H.20.3 that restructures the referring URL to move those keywords closer to the front of it to eliminate any chance that they would get clipped off because of the 255 character limit. So if you are using older code I would say an update is in order.

      I just did a handful of searches in Google, some logged in, some logged out, and using 3 different browsers, and whenever I clicked on a paid ad for a site that is running SiteCatalyst code, everytime I saw my searched keywords appearing in the referring URL string that is being passed to the SiteCatalyst servers.

      @VaBeachKevin
      http://keystonesolutions.com
      http://webanalyticsland.com

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ecommark" wrote:

      > I see that too  - is this uniqie to SiteCatalyst, or, is it a new
      > Google feature?   Here's a JPG of our chart ...

    • adamgreco
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
        This has changed. Please refer to this new KB article: http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/home/index.html#kb-keyword-unavailable

        Adam G

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Penelope" wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I wonder if anyone can help on the below:
        > I thought that Google's change around encrypting keywords entered in Google by logged in users was only for natural search queries...
        > Looking at the paid search keywords report in Omniture, I am also seeing a Keyword Unavailable field. Can anyone confirm that this change is also for paid search queries (typed in by logged in users?..)
        > Thanks
        > Penelope

      • Craig Scribner
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
          The obvious solution is to give each of your paid keywords a unique tracking
          code, and have a SAINT classification for keywords. That way you see
          everything you pay for, even if it's not showing up in the Traffic Sources
          reports.

          Best regards,

          Craig

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
          , "Penelope" wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I wonder if anyone can help on the below:
          > I thought that Google's change around encrypting keywords entered in
          Google by logged in users was only for natural search queries...
          > Looking at the paid search keywords report in Omniture, I am also seeing a
          Keyword Unavailable field. Can anyone confirm that this change is also for
          paid search queries (typed in by logged in users?..)
          > Thanks
          > Penelope

        • Penelope
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
            Hi Ecommark,
            Thank you for sharing. I could not see you JPG but Adam Greco has provided us with an Adobe article talking about this. What we don't know is why this is happening with paid search and to what extent...
            Thanks
            Penelope

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
              Hi VabeachKevin,
              Thank you for sharing information on this.
              Adam Greco has provided a link to an Adobe article confirming this is the case... Worth picking up with Google.
              Thanks
              Penelope

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
                Great- thank you Adam. I looked for similar articles on the KB last week but certainly did not find this one!
                Penelope

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "adamgreco" wrote:

                > This has changed. Please refer to this new KB article: http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/home/index.html#kb-keyword-unavailable
                >
                > Adam G
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Penelope" wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > I wonder if anyone can help on the below:
                > > I thought that Google's change around encrypting keywords entered in Google by logged in users was only for natural search queries...
                > > Looking at the paid search keywords report in Omniture, I am also seeing a Keyword Unavailable field. Can anyone confirm that this change is also for paid search queries (typed in by logged in users?..)
                > > Thanks
                > > Penelope

              • Penelope
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013