s.visitorID variable - help required

  • harshil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2013
      Hello All,

      Wish you a very Happy New Year.

      I need to track quite a many metrics like unique visitors, number of visits, new vs returning visitors, etc without using cookies (since cookies have some disadvantages when comes to change of browsers, cookie deletions, etc)

      So, I am planning to explicitly feed the s.visitorID variable with a unique visitor ID for each visitor which will be retrieved every time the visitor visits to give an errorless measure of above mentioned metrics.

      Please note that every visit begins on login page only.

      Now the logic is, for each visitor, on his login, system will check the database if a unique ID exists for that login ID. If yes, it will be fetched and pushed to s.visitorID. If not, a new unique ID will be generated and fed to s.visitorID and the same will be updated in the profile database.

      However, the s.visitorID needs to be set on every page. And fetching it from a backend profile database will require a script to run on every page which will increase the page load time.

      Is there any workaround for this case?

      Is it possible to store the visitorID and related login ID in Adobe sitecatalyst servers from where fetching will save pageload time?

      If yes, does it come with extra financial implications?

      Thanks in advance for your help.
    • Yuhui
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2013
        Hi there,

        Firstly, I've been following your threads in this group and just have to ask:

        "Have you approached your Adobe/Omniture Account Manager with all of these questions?"

        It seems like many of your questions could be easily remedied with Adobe's technical support. If you don't have a direct relationship with your account manager (e.g. you're working in an agency that's managing your client's Omniture account), thenask your Omniture account's admin to help you get in front of an account manager.

        After all, you're paying good money to Omniture for their tool. Make full use of their expertise and support!

        Back to your question:

        Personally, I feel that it is *extremely* foolish to second-guess a tried-and-true system like Omniture. Attempting to replace Omniture's way of tracking users simply because you have doubts about technological limitations is not the way to do analytics. Especially with a mature system like Omniture, it is foolish to attempt to replace their way of tracking with yours, because you might accidentally introduce mistakes that could've been avoided.

        Granted, there are valid reasons for wanting to replace the s.visitorId value. But my reading of your question is that you want to do so simply because you have an inherent mistrust of cookies. And so by extension, you don't trust Omniture's results.

        If so, then you're not going to find a lot of sympathy. Almost every industry-leading/standard tool relies on cookies. Even WebTrends, which is a log-based tool primarily, uses cookies to some extent. And the analytics industry has done pretty well with that cookie limitation.

        With mobile tracking, Omniture (and the other big boys) has gone further by tracking visitors based on the phone's UUID. This does away with cookie reliance, since a phone's UUID never changes. Again, you wouldn't want to use your own s.visitorId here, when Omniture's technique works pretty well.

        My gut feeling is that Omniture already solves 95% of your problems out-of-the-box, but you want 100%. As I like to tell those who listen, "shit happens." When even the same HTML web page can appear differently in different browsers, then you simply have to accept that technical perfection is impossible.

        So if you spend more time on engineering than on analysis with a robust tool like Omniture, then I feel that you're over-extending yourself.

        I suggest that you pause your attempt at replacing s.visitorId for a month of so, and see what Omniture tells you about your website. I think you'll find yourself doing more productive work right now from the reports than by attempting to replace s.visitorId.

        Regards,
        Yu Hui
        Twitter: @yuhui