re: SPAM-MED: [webanalytics] Re: how can i track 2 different funneled goals in GA with 99% identical URL paths?

  • Eric Fettman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      You pose a lot of good questions here. Funnels are a challenge in GA.

      IF YOU CAN ADD A PARAMETER TO THE URL FOR YOUR JOINERS:

      For an ideal solution, you're going to have to work with your developers to add a parameter to the URL request from the Join page to the shared step and goal pages.

      So whereas now your Join goal traffic would just blend in with the Renew goal traffic as below:

      Join
      Shared Step 1
      Shared Step 2
      Shared Step 3
      Shared Goal

      If you paramaterize all URLs after the Join page, you can break the Join track out as a separate goal and funnel path.

      This URL parameter would not affect anything on the back end - it would just be passively appended for GA tracking purposes.

      IF YOU CAN'T ADD A PARAMETER TO THE URLS, SET UP THE JOINER GOAL AND FUNNEL IN A SEPARATE PROFILE

      If the solution above is not feasible, and I realize that it may very well not be, you can:

      - set up (or keep) the shorter, merged goal and funnel in an existing profile
      - create a new profile in which you can set up the longer Join goal and funnel
      - make sure that you check First Step Required for the Join funnel (you can do this in your Renew funnel as well if you choose) - the required first step is what will define the Join funnel as such

      In your main profile, the joiners and renewers will still be mixed, but with the Join funnel and goal in a separate profile, you'll at least be able to break the joiners out from the pack.

      ADVANCED SEGMENTS WOULD BE AN IDEAL SOLUTION, BUT...

      ...you can't apply advanced segments to the Funnel Visualization report. (This is a very frustrating limitation.)

      For almost all other reports, you can apply two advanced segments:

      Include - Page - Containing - joinpageurl
      Exclude - Page - Containing - joinpageurl

      The first segment will not just display joinpageurl pageviews, but rather all pageviews for any visit during which joinpageurl was viewed. The second segment is the inverse.

      These advanced segments might be useful in the other reports.

      Hope this helps.

      BTW, for a pretty comprehensive overview of GA funnels, you can check out this post that I wrote:

      http://blog.kissmetrics.com/conversion-funnel-survival-guide/

      Best wishes to everyone on the Web analytics listserv for 2013!

      Eric Fettman
      Google Analytics Test . http://www.googleanalyticstest.com . Twitter: @gglanalytcstest
      Google Analytics Tip of the Day . http://www.gatipoftheday.com . Twitter: @gatipoftheday
      eric@...