Re: Correlations in SiteCatalyst

  • webbingyourway
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hi Harshil,

      To make things even MORE interesting about Pages which Yuhui mentioned:

      Pages work both as a "prop" and "eVar", but do not get confused - it is not an eVar. It is not meant to be used as a conversion variable.

      The pageName variable is more like a prop - thus if you add custom events to the report, it will use allocation method - so it is not giving you accurate figures. I cannot tell you how many people get this wrong. Look at what this means in Omnitures Knowledgebase

      - Webbingyourway

      http://bit.ly/Y_wyw

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Yuhui" <yuhuibc@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > So technically speaking, eVars aren't "correlated" with events, just as Props aren't correlated with pageviews, time spent, etc.
      >
      > If that is difficult to visualize, then just imagine that in your report table, eVars are the rows, and events are the columns.
      >
      > Making your Omniture life even more interesting:
      > Pages are a special breed of tracking variables that can be reported against traffic metrics (pageviews, time spent, etc.) *and* also conversion metrics (adds to cart, purchases, custom events, etc).
      >
      > BTW if you're coming from a Google Analytics world: Omniture's... oops, Adobe's "events" are *not* the same as GA's "events". Personally, I think of GA's event tracking as similar to Adobe's link tracking.
      >
      > Hope that helps!
      >
      > Regards,
      > Yu Hui
      > Twitter: @yuhui
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Ketan.
      > >
      > > That would be really helpful.
      > >
      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ketan M. Vakil (518-506-6812)" <ketan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello -- here are some answers� there's a lot of other detail with these questions, but hopefully this helps!
      > > >
      > > > Correlations and subrelations reflect basically the same concept but correlations let you break props down by one another and subrelations let you do it with eVars. Props are meant to capture custom traffic behavior and eVars are meant for custom visitor/conversion related behavior. It may make sense to capture your key variables in both types. Props are not persistent, once they get counted in SiteCatalyst, they get forgotten on the users's machine. eVars are persistent.
      > > >
      > > > In V15, you can break all eVars down by each other so you have full subrelations on all of them. You can't nest multiple breakdowns like you can in Discover, but you can do a single breakdown on any two conversion reports. This only works for data gathered after your upgrade. To correlate props with one another, I believe you still need to make that setting change in the Admin panel or with Support and ensure that both variables are set on the same page. The correlation reports only shows instances where two things occurred at the same time.
      > > >
      > > > Events are meant to be associated with eVars - not props. So if you have a "Lead Captured" event, you could see how many leads you got broken down by whatever eVar. You can't correlate props with evars... traffic and conversion values don't mix and the data wouldn't make sense if they did. I recommend just passing your data into both eVars and Props for the most flexibility. Then make a decision on which props really need to be correlated and be sure you set them on pages together.

    • harshil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
        Thank you webbingyourway and Yuhui.