Re: Expiry of Success events variable

  • webbingyourway
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012
      Hi,

      I want to make a couple of comments:

      You can serialize the events so they are only captured
      1) once per session (client care can set this up for you)
      2) once per unique id

      If you are doing this for "once per unique id", you are passing this id with the event and Omniture will only count this once for that particular id for that event EVER. You must be careful, as the unique event works across all visitors (aka, if you do event1:30122012 - so you are passing the current date with the event. That means you will only count this event for the first visitor who triggered the event. So make sure that it will be done in a way it will work for each visitor and in a way you intended it to be done.

      the other, Rohan is correct, you can only show 500K unique values through the SiteCatalyst UI, but DataWarehouse will only deliver more than 500K unique values IF it is for a prop - it will still keep with the 500K unique on eVars.

      Regards

      Andrew
      http://bit.ly/Y_wyw

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Rohan Kapoor <robbie_kapoor@...> wrote:

      > Hello Harshil,
      > The 's.events' variable doesn't have an expiration as it is basically a counter whereas 's.eVar' is set using cookies and has an expiration. You can however set the expiration for an eVar to never expire in the Admin console.
      > So basically for this use case, you'll set the expiration of the 'Unique Visitor ID' to never expire and fire an event ONLY if the Visit number is set to 1. I'm assuming you're using the Visit number plugin to capture that. Keep in mind with this approach, your event will increment for every page view in this visit rather than only counting a new visitor as one. There are ways for you to capture this event only once using methods such as event serialization.
      > PS: SiteCatalyst only displays up to 500,000 unique values in the UI every month so if you're expecting users over that number, you'd have to use the DataWarehouse to pull all UVIDs.
      > Hope this helps,
      > RohanPointmarc

    • harshil
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
        Hi Rohan,

        First of all thanks for your help on this.

        Secondly, regarding the event variable being incremented for every page view, I didn't clearly get the point.

        What I am planning is to implement the following code only on the login page(All visits will start at login page only).

        s.visitorID=object.visitorid;
        /* assuming that object.visitorid is the script object which will fetch unique visitor ID*/
        s.eVar6=s.visitorID;
        if (tonumber(object.visitnumber)==0)
        /* assuming that object.visitnumber is the script object which will fetch the visitnumber for each visitor ID*/
        s.events="event2";

        Note that a unique visitor ID and number of visits for each visitor will be stored in the user profile backed database from where it will be pulled into page level objects and pushed therefrom to SiteCatalyst variables.

        In this case, please provide your comments on feasibility and report accuracy.

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Rohan Kapoor <robbie_kapoor@...> wrote:

        > Hello Harshil,
        > The 's.events' variable doesn't have an expiration as it is basically a counter whereas 's.eVar' is set using cookies and has an expiration. You can however set the expiration for an eVar to never expire in the Admin console.
        > So basically for this use case, you'll set the expiration of the 'Unique Visitor ID' to never expire and fire an event ONLY if the Visit number is set to 1. I'm assuming you're using the Visit number plugin to capture that. Keep in mind with this approach, your event will increment for every page view in this visit rather than only counting a new visitor as one. There are ways for you to capture this event only once using methods such as event serialization.
        > PS: SiteCatalyst only displays up to 500,000 unique values in the UI every month so if you're expecting users over that number, you'd have to use the DataWarehouse to pull all UVIDs.
        > Hope this helps,
        > RohanPointmarc

      • Rohan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
          Hello Harshil,

          It's interesting that you're using the 's.visitorID' variable which by default deduplicates your visitors not by cookies but by the visitor id provided by you in your SiteCatalyst suite. One of the disadvantages of this variable is that it has to be set on EVERY page of your site in order to be rendered efficient.

          I'm still uncertain as to what you're trying to achieve here.

          Here's what I think you're trying to do. I think you're trying to get a unique count of visitors who login to your site for the first time. in order to capture this, you're setting the 's.visitorID' and 's.eVar6' variables on the successful login page ONLY if the visitor id is new and if it's the first visit. Based on this condition, you're setting 's.events=event2'.

          My advice for you would be to not use the 's.visitorID' variable if you're not going to populate it on all pages but only use 's.eVar6' instead and change its expiration to 'Never' to capture visitor id on login. Write a function which looks up the visit number object and only sets 'event2' if the visit number is less than 2 or equal to 1 (assuming that the visitor is new).

          If it still doesn't make sense, then I would advice you to reach out to me offline.

          Thanks,

          Rohan

          On Jan 2, 2013, at 2:14, "harshil" <harshilshah_2004@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rohan,
          >
          > First of all thanks for your help on this.
          >
          > Secondly, regarding the event variable being incremented for every page view, I didn't clearly get the point.
          >
          > What I am planning is to implement the following code only on the login page(All visits will start at login page only).
          >
          > s.visitorID=object.visitorid;
          > /* assuming that object.visitorid is the script object which will fetch unique visitor ID*/
          > s.eVar6=s.visitorID;
          > if (tonumber(object.visitnumber)==0)
          > /* assuming that object.visitnumber is the script object which will fetch the visitnumber for each visitor ID*/
          > s.events="event2";
          >
          > Note that a unique visitor ID and number of visits for each visitor will be stored in the user profile backed database from where it will be pulled into page level objects and pushed therefrom to SiteCatalyst variables.
          >
          > In this case, please provide your comments on feasibility and report accuracy.
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Rohan Kapoor <robbie_kapoor@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Harshil,
          > > The 's.events' variable doesn't have an expiration as it is basically a counter whereas 's.eVar' is set using cookies and has an expiration. You can however set the expiration for an eVar to never expire in the Admin console.
          > > So basically for this use case, you'll set the expiration of the 'Unique Visitor ID' to never expire and fire an event ONLY if the Visit number is set to 1. I'm assuming you're using the Visit number plugin to capture that. Keep in mind with this approach, your event will increment for every page view in this visit rather than only counting a new visitor as one. There are ways for you to capture this event only once using methods such as event serialization.
          > > PS: SiteCatalyst only displays up to 500,000 unique values in the UI every month so if you're expecting users over that number, you'd have to use the DataWarehouse to pull all UVIDs.
          > > Hope this helps,
          > > RohanPointmarc

        • harshil
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
            Hello Rohan,

            Yes this makes sense. Thank you for your help.

            As a last thing, I need to and will set the s.visitorID variable on every page because there are quite a many other metrics that I need to report by visitorIDs.

            So, in this case, for the particular use case code mentioned in previous message, which one of the below will be better in terms of reporting, breakdowns(correlations) and persistence?
            1) s.events="event2";
            OR
            2) s.eVar7="+1"; /*s.eVar7 will be a counter eVar*/

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Rohan wrote:

> [...]
            > > > So basically for this use case, you'll set the expiration of the 'Unique Visitor ID' to never expire and fire an event ONLY if the Visit number is set to 1. I'm assuming you're using the Visit number plugin to capture that. Keep in mind with this approach, your event will increment for every page view in this visit rather than only counting a new visitor as one. There are ways for you to capture this event only once using methods such as event serialization.
            > > > PS: SiteCatalyst only displays up to 500,000 unique values in the UI every month so if you're expecting users over that number, you'd have to use the DataWarehouse to pull all UVIDs.

          • Rohan Kapoor
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2013
              Hello Harshil,
              It would be better to just populate 's.events=event2' (count of logins?) and use it with conjunction with the VisitorID eVar which is set to never expire.
              Thanks,
              Rohan