re: SPAM-MED: [webanalytics] Re: filtering reports in google dashboards

  • Eric Fettman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
      Alan, a Page filter in your dashboard widget will unfortunately not provide what you are looking for, for a couple of reasons:

      A Page filter in the dashboard will display data (reason 1:) for all pageviews that occurred during the same visit as a pageview matching the filter (reason 2:) as a landing page. This is what GA support informed me when by dashboard numbers weren't matching internal reports with advanced segments applied, even though the dashboard filters and the advanced segments seemed to be configured the same way.

      An advanced segment based on Page value would filter reports for all pageviews that occurred during the same visit as any pageview that matched the filter during any point in the visits. See: http://gatipoftheday.com/page-segment-very-useful-easily-misunderstood/

      In either case (that is, a dashboard widget filter or an advanced segment), the Page value is not intended to limit reporting only to pagevews that match the value.

      On the other hand, if you're able wait long enough to collect enough data in a new profile, I would just create one and apply a "traffic to the subdirectory" filter right at the profile level - this way you'll know that your dashboards and everything else in the profile will actually be limited to pageviews in that subdirectory. That would be the cleanest way to go if it's OK with your time frame.

      Hope this helps.
      Eric Fettman
      Google Analytics Test . googleanalyticstest.com . Twitter: @gglanalytcstest
      Google Analytics Tip of the Day . gatipoftheday.com . Twitter: @gatipoftheday
      eric@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
        Eric, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate you sharing
        Google's answer. I do indeed have profiles set up with "traffic to the
        subdirectory" filters, but these profiles unfortunately exclude some of our
        site's key conversion points, which are located in different folders. What
        I'm trying to do by creating filtered dashboards is combine a variety of
        information from various parts of the site.

        I know I can use standard and custom reporting to get at the details of the
        information I want to report out on, but I was hoping to use dashboards as
        a high level report I distribute to specific stakeholders.

        If I understand what you've written, at the folder level I could use "page
        path level 1" instead of "page". However, once I try to start tracking
        individual pages (my conversion points) the data is not giving me what I
        need. Is this right? If yes, any suggestions on how to get around this?
        Does using configured goals have the same limitation?

      • Eric Fettman
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
          Alan, maybe you could use a Page Path Level 1 filter on the dashboard for some metrics and, specifically for the goal completion, set up a goal and funnel, with the goal specified as the goal completion page, which resides outside of the subdirectory, and one or more subdirectory pages as the funnel steps. (You can take advantage of regular expressions in goal and funnel configuration, so several URL variations could match the definition for the goal page or any of the funnel steps.) The funnel pageviews don't have to immediately precede the goal page pageview to be associated with the goal, which might be useful in your scenario as well.

          Would this help at all?

          Eric Fettman
          Google Analytics Test . http://www.googleanalyticstest.com . Twitter: @gglanalytcstest
          Google Analytics Tip of the Day . http://www.gatipoftheday.com . Twitter: @gatipoftheday