Pay somone to get Certified in your name - #measure sin or not?

  • mohitjain01
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      Please check out this post on Freelancer.com where a buyer is openly searching for Freelancer who can take GAIQ exam on his behalf and get him GAIQ certified.

      http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Internet-Marketing-SEO/Google-Analytics-Certificate.html

      The real work is what matters in the end the day but certifications helps us build some credibility in eyes of people who don't know us and particularly when new comers use these Certifications as a medium to at least get shortlisted for the job interviews where they can actually prove themselves.

      The guy who has posted the project on Freelancer.com is definitely doing it for some unknown benefit but indirectly he is doing a harm to entire #measure community and particularly to the value of the GAIQ test in eyes of us all and also prospective employers. The blame can be equally distributed to those people who are ready to help such people.

      DAA Certification is 'fool proof' and it's more about analysis rather than tools but even today a large number of companies which doesn't have full time analyst consider the one who knows the tools and then actual analysis. Do you agree with me? Does these tools certifications really matter to a Digital Marketer who is taking interview of an analyst to grow his team?

      What does this community think about it? I know a lot has already been said and written on this topic but how do we deal with this? Or do we really need to worry about it? Or the Tool Vendors needs to tighten up the processes so the value of these certifications don't start depreciating?

      Well I personally thought that blogging is some sort of a right way to build a rapport in eyes of industry peers and also prospective employers but does Certifications have no value now?

      Please share your thoughts if you can.

      Thanks,

      Mohit
      www.analytics.ae
    • Nicolas Embleton
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
        Hi,

        I'm not a regular contributor, but I read almost every post that you guys
        share, and this group is definitely deeply interesting.

        Regarding paying someone to get certificates, I believe in a
        medium/long-term thing, if the person is asking to pay someone for that,
        it's obviously because the skills aren't there ( or the time? In that case
        it could be arguable, but I personally doubt it's a time problem )

        These people don't fool anybody out there, I believe. So I don't think
        there's a real reason to worry about this.

        I think the most important when it comes to "trust" toward #measure
        community is reputation. If you can show that you work well and people
        trust you, the value of the diploma will gain shine.

        Nowadays, everybody is *-certified. It doesn't make one being a genius, and
        if the basics aren't there, I don't give much value to the certificate. On
        the other hand, if the person seems skilled, the diploma then gets all its
        value.

        So I would say, just "report as inappropriate" (as I'll do, because I think
        freelancer.com shouldn't be used for petty personal profits like this, when
        you see the project's budget, it doesn't worth much...), and sleep
        peacefully. As you said, hard work pays, fraud doesn't. Or does, at both a
        small scale and during a short period of time.

        Cheers,
        Nicolas.

      • Yogita Wadhwa
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 27, 2012
          Hi Mohit,

          In one word, this is "outrageous". This culture is not surprising as education has now become a business. What is highly regarded in one geography could be marred with such doubts in another.

          For this reason, am wary of personally getting any certifications as have never felt that others who might have one will have an edge over me. Am confident of the analysis work I have had the chance to do in organizations I have worked for. In saying so, it seems to me that since US is the most advanced in web analytics domain, the certifications are duly respected. If I ever move there to work, will assess if I need to get any. Until then, I wouldn't give any preference either to candidates I might interview. More often than not, have seen candidates take those practice tests over and over again but fall flat when posed with a business question.

          Hope this helps.

          Best,
          Yogita

        • Stephane Hamel
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2012
            Here's what I would do: take the offer and then write a very nice article stating the name of this stupid moron. :)

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mohitjain01" <mohit@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > Please check out this post on Freelancer.com where a buyer is openly searching for Freelancer who can take GAIQ exam on his behalf and get him GAIQ certified.
            >
            > http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Internet-Marketing-SEO/Google-Analytics-Certificate.html
            >
            > The real work is what matters in the end the day but certifications helps us build some credibility in eyes of people who don't know us and particularly when new comers use these Certifications as a medium to at least get shortlisted for the job interviews where they can actually prove themselves.
            >
            > The guy who has posted the project on Freelancer.com is definitely doing it for some unknown benefit but indirectly he is doing a harm to entire #measure community and particularly to the value of the GAIQ test in eyes of us all and also prospective employers. The blame can be equally distributed to those people who are ready to help such people.
            >
            > DAA Certification is 'fool proof' and it's more about analysis rather than tools but even today a large number of companies which doesn't have full time analyst consider the one who knows the tools and then actual analysis. Do you agree with me? Does these tools certifications really matter to a Digital Marketer who is taking interview of an analyst to grow his team?
            >
            > What does this community think about it? I know a lot has already been said and written on this topic but how do we deal with this? Or do we really need to worry about it? Or the Tool Vendors needs to tighten up the processes so the value of these certifications don't start depreciating?
            >
            > Well I personally thought that blogging is some sort of a right way to build a rapport in eyes of industry peers and also prospective employers but does Certifications have no value now?
            >
            > Please share your thoughts if you can.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mohit
            > www.analytics.ae

          • Jim Sterne
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 29, 2012
              Ziiiiing!

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "mohitjain01" <mohit@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > Please check out this post on Freelancer.com where a buyer is openly searching
              for Freelancer who can take GAIQ exam on his behalf and get him GAIQ certified.

              http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Internet-Marketing-SEO/Google-Analytics-Certi
              ficate.html

              > The real work is what matters in the end the day but certifications helps us
              build some credibility in eyes of people who don't know us and particularly when
              new comers use these Certifications as a medium to at least get shortlisted for
              the job interviews where they can actually prove themselves.

              > The guy who has posted the project on Freelancer.com is definitely doing it
              for some unknown benefit but indirectly he is doing a harm to entire #measure
              community and particularly to the value of the GAIQ test in eyes of us all and
              also prospective employers. The blame can be equally distributed to those people
              who are ready to help such people.

              > DAA Certification is 'fool proof' and it's more about analysis rather than
              tools but even today a large number of companies which doesn't have full time
              analyst consider the one who knows the tools and then actual analysis. Do you
              agree with me? Does these tools certifications really matter to a Digital
              Marketer who is taking interview of an analyst to grow his team?

              > What does this community think about it? I know a lot has already been said
              and written on this topic but how do we deal with this? Or do we really need to
              worry about it? Or the Tool Vendors needs to tighten up the processes so the
              value of these certifications don't start depreciating?

              > Well I personally thought that blogging is some sort of a right way to build a
              rapport in eyes of industry peers and also prospective employers but does
              Certifications have no value now?

              > Please share your thoughts if you can.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Mohit
              > www.analytics.ae

            • Judah Phillips
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
                Stephane has the right idea. Name him. There's already too many people in
                this business who claim to do analytics, but do other related stuff, like
                reporting and calling it analytics. In fact there are even thought leaders
                writing about managing analytics teams that have never ever even managed an
                analytics team, so be careful whose "thought leadership" you trust.

                Same thing with certs. The Certifications from DAA and the vendors are all
                useful. If you are new the industry, then it shows you have ambition and
                the ability to learn - and studying makes you learn. Once you have real
                experience actually doing real analysis, frankly, hiring managers don't
                care about your certs too much. I've hired college dropouts who
                self-taught themselves complex skills. Raw intelligence can't be certified
                - it has to be witnessed.

                The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.

                Judah

              • Luca Vicini
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2012
                  > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                  > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                  > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.

                  Judah, you are spot on. IMHO, the additional problem is that the DAA
                  certification is mostly a US thing.
                  In Western Europe (probably the second market for web analytics after
                  North America) there is only a test centre in London.
                  Not enough for raising the DAA certification as a globally accepted
                  standard.

                  Cheers
                  Luca

                  On 30/11/2012 23:23, Judah Phillips wrote:

                  > Stephane has the right idea. Name him. There's already too many people in
                  > this business who claim to do analytics, but do other related stuff, like
                  > reporting and calling it analytics. In fact there are even thought leaders
                  > writing about managing analytics teams that have never ever even
                  > managed an
                  > analytics team, so be careful whose "thought leadership" you trust.
                  >
                  > Same thing with certs. The Certifications from DAA and the vendors are all
                  > useful. If you are new the industry, then it shows you have ambition and
                  > the ability to learn - and studying makes you learn. Once you have real
                  > experience actually doing real analysis, frankly, hiring managers don't
                  > care about your certs too much. I've hired college dropouts who
                  > self-taught themselves complex skills. Raw intelligence can't be certified
                  > - it has to be witnessed.
                  >
                  > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                  > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                  > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                  >
                  > Judah

                • Feras Alhlou
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Mohit, let us know if you follow up on Stephane's recommendation! Or maybe
                    this person is reading our emails here on this board and now they feel
                    ashamed of themselves and go learn the stuff and then get the certification
                    on their own!

                    Regarding the DAA certification, the exam is also offered during the
                    eMetrics Summits/DAA symposium and if you can convince your employer to
                    become a DAA corporate member, you'll get the certification fees waived for
                    (at least) 4 exams.

                    Thanks!

                    Feras Alhlou
                    www.twitter.com/ferasa
                    www.e-nor.com/blog

                    t: 408-988-0003x111
                    feras@...
                    www.e-nor.com

                    www.linkedin.com/in/ferasalhlou
                    www.facebook.com/ferasa

                    On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Luca Vicini <luca.vicini@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                    > > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                    > > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                    >
                    > Judah, you are spot on. IMHO, the additional problem is that the DAA
                    > certification is mostly a US thing.
                    > In Western Europe (probably the second market for web analytics after
                    > North America) there is only a test centre in London.
                    > Not enough for raising the DAA certification as a globally accepted
                    > standard.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Luca
                    >

                    > On 30/11/2012 23:23, Judah Phillips wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Stephane has the right idea. Name him. There's already too many people in
                    > > this business who claim to do analytics, but do other related stuff, like
                    > > reporting and calling it analytics. In fact there are even thought
                    > leaders
                    > > writing about managing analytics teams that have never ever even
                    > > managed an
                    > > analytics team, so be careful whose "thought leadership" you trust.
                    > >
                    > > Same thing with certs. The Certifications from DAA and the vendors are
                    > all
                    > > useful. If you are new the industry, then it shows you have ambition and
                    > > the ability to learn - and studying makes you learn. Once you have real
                    > > experience actually doing real analysis, frankly, hiring managers don't
                    > > care about your certs too much. I've hired college dropouts who
                    > > self-taught themselves complex skills. Raw intelligence can't be
                    > certified
                    > > - it has to be witnessed.
                    > >
                    > > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                    > > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                    > > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                    > >
                    > > Judah

                  • mohitjain01
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                      @Yogita Correctly said US is the most advanced in web analytics domain and "may be" the certifications are duly respected but being outside US even I am also not sure if they carry a great value for the candidates themselves but on the flip side if being on employer side I don't respect the certifications from potential candidates then it means I am questioning the reason for why I did my own certifications in first place. I do understand like @judah said there are enough people in business already who claim to do analytics, but do reporting and calling it analytics and being certified doesn't mean that the candidate is good at analysis.

                      I am DAA Certified and not based in US and at least if not from prospective employers I got a great recognition among measure peeps in my region and it did helped me when I am recruiting as I noticed that prospective candidates felt confident that they are going to join a knowledgeable team.

                      @Stephane Great advice but I wish if I can do that. Who knows may be in near future an 'Experian Credit Report' or may be a 'DO NOT CALL' will exist about #measure peeps and such morons can be reported there. HINT HINT HINT for DAA :)

                      @Luca Thanks for sharing your opinion. May be the DAA only has 1 testing center in London to cater entire Europe but in "my opinion" it doesn't mean that it's not enough for raising the bar for DAA certification as a globally accepted standard. The standard will raise when we will take the word about DAA Certification to masses so it gets the value it needs and adding 1 or 10 more testing centers will definitely not do that. It's like we need to support the cause so it becomes a "movement" thing.

                      @Feras I agree with Stephane but we need to find that Freelancer who can reveal the identity of this moron to entire group. I just picked the post on Freelancer.com during a research and thought to share to discuss what group thinks about such people.

                      Thanks everyone for contributing.

                      Cheers,
                      Mohit

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Feras Alhlou <feras@...> wrote:

                      > Mohit, let us know if you follow up on Stephane's recommendation! Or maybe
                      > this person is reading our emails here on this board and now they feel
                      > ashamed of themselves and go learn the stuff and then get the certification
                      > on their own!
                      >
                      > Regarding the DAA certification, the exam is also offered during the
                      > eMetrics Summits/DAA symposium and if you can convince your employer to
                      > become a DAA corporate member, you'll get the certification fees waived for
                      > (at least) 4 exams.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > Feras Alhlou
                      > www.twitter.com/ferasa
                      > www.e-nor.com/blog
                      >
                      > t: 408-988-0003x111
                      > feras@...
                      > www.e-nor.com
                      >
                      > www.linkedin.com/in/ferasalhlou
                      > www.facebook.com/ferasa
                      >

                      > On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Luca Vicini <luca.vicini@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                      > > > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                      > > > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                      > >
                      > > Judah, you are spot on. IMHO, the additional problem is that the DAA
                      > > certification is mostly a US thing.
                      > > In Western Europe (probably the second market for web analytics after
                      > > North America) there is only a test centre in London.
                      > > Not enough for raising the DAA certification as a globally accepted
                      > > standard.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Luca
                      > >

                      > > On 30/11/2012 23:23, Judah Phillips wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Stephane has the right idea. Name him. There's already too many people in
                      > > > this business who claim to do analytics, but do other related stuff, like
                      > > > reporting and calling it analytics. In fact there are even thought
                      > > leaders
                      > > > writing about managing analytics teams that have never ever even
                      > > > managed an
                      > > > analytics team, so be careful whose "thought leadership" you trust.
                      > > >
                      > > > Same thing with certs. The Certifications from DAA and the vendors are
                      > > all
                      > > > useful. If you are new the industry, then it shows you have ambition and
                      > > > the ability to learn - and studying makes you learn. Once you have real
                      > > > experience actually doing real analysis, frankly, hiring managers don't
                      > > > care about your certs too much. I've hired college dropouts who
                      > > > self-taught themselves complex skills. Raw intelligence can't be
                      > > certified
                      > > > - it has to be witnessed.
                      > > >
                      > > > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                      > > > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                      > > > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                      > > >
                      > > > Judah

                    • captain_blackbeak
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                        Hi Luca (all),

                        There are many DAA test groups in Europe outside of London. They just aren't marketed well by the DAA. I know for a fact there is one in Helsinki, Copenhagen and one in Munich.

                        I agree with Judah on cost though. High pricing. It should be free for DAA members only in my opinion (expressed many times!) :)

                        Thanks,
                        Steve

                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vicini <luca.vicini@...> wrote:

                        > > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                        > > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                        > > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                        >
                        > Judah, you are spot on. IMHO, the additional problem is that the DAA
                        > certification is mostly a US thing.
                        > In Western Europe (probably the second market for web analytics after
                        > North America) there is only a test centre in London.
                        > Not enough for raising the DAA certification as a globally accepted
                        > standard.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Luca
                        >
                        > On 30/11/2012 23:23, Judah Phillips wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Stephane has the right idea. Name him. There's already too many people in
                        > > this business who claim to do analytics, but do other related stuff, like
                        > > reporting and calling it analytics. In fact there are even thought leaders
                        > > writing about managing analytics teams that have never ever even
                        > > managed an
                        > > analytics team, so be careful whose "thought leadership" you trust.
                        > >
                        > > Same thing with certs. The Certifications from DAA and the vendors are all
                        > > useful. If you are new the industry, then it shows you have ambition and
                        > > the ability to learn - and studying makes you learn. Once you have real
                        > > experience actually doing real analysis, frankly, hiring managers don't
                        > > care about your certs too much. I've hired college dropouts who
                        > > self-taught themselves complex skills. Raw intelligence can't be certified
                        > > - it has to be witnessed.
                        > >
                        > > The Digital Analytics Association also has no certification for digital
                        > > analytics and the cost is too damn high. Vendor certs are more meaningful
                        > > but it's not like the tests are hard - they don't want you to fail.
                        > >
                        > > Judah

                      • JudahPhillips
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                          Feras - good point. Another use-case for certs is for consultants and consultancies to differentiate their services.

                          In that context, certs seem to be most meaningful for Google since they offer no direct vendor prof services like the other vendors do.

                          In a rapidly evolving industry where experienced practitioners are many years older than the certs, I see limited value in passing tests supposedly confirming one already knows what they do for work. But if you are new to a tool then certainly train and test.

                          Certified Web Analyst has now rapidly evolved into something expensively and certifiably non-digital. What happens to GAAC when GUA leaves beta? Will GUAAC be the new black and GAAC be last year's hat?

                          :-)

                          Judah
                        • Stephane Hamel
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
                            To add to my own point...
                            Check out the point and counter point to certification, two great posts on All Analytics

                            Point: http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408&doc_id=254977
                            Counter point: http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408&doc_id=254982

                            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

                            > Here's what I would do: take the offer and then write a very nice article stating the name of this stupid moron. :)
                            >
                            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mohitjain01" <mohit@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Everyone,
                            > >
                            > > Please check out this post on Freelancer.com where a buyer is openly searching for Freelancer who can take GAIQ exam on his behalf and get him GAIQ certified.
                            > >
                            > > http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Internet-Marketing-SEO/Google-Analytics-Certificate.html
                            > >
                            > > The real work is what matters in the end the day but certifications helps us build some credibility in eyes of people who don't know us and particularly when new comers use these Certifications as a medium to at least get shortlisted for the job interviews where they can actually prove themselves.
                            > >
                            > > The guy who has posted the project on Freelancer.com is definitely doing it for some unknown benefit but indirectly he is doing a harm to entire #measure community and particularly to the value of the GAIQ test in eyes of us all and also prospective employers. The blame can be equally distributed to those people who are ready to help such people.
                            > >
                            > > DAA Certification is 'fool proof' and it's more about analysis rather than tools but even today a large number of companies which doesn't have full time analyst consider the one who knows the tools and then actual analysis. Do you agree with me? Does these tools certifications really matter to a Digital Marketer who is taking interview of an analyst to grow his team?
                            > >
                            > > What does this community think about it? I know a lot has already been said and written on this topic but how do we deal with this? Or do we really need to worry about it? Or the Tool Vendors needs to tighten up the processes so the value of these certifications don't start depreciating?
                            > >
                            > > Well I personally thought that blogging is some sort of a right way to build a rapport in eyes of industry peers and also prospective employers but does Certifications have no value now?
                            > >
                            > > Please share your thoughts if you can.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Mohit
                            > > www.analytics.ae

                          • Ash Pahwa
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 11, 2012
                              I teach Google Analytics Certification classes at UCLA Extension and UCI
                              Extension.

                              http://unex.uci.edu/courses/sectiondetail.aspx?year=2012&term=Fall&sid=00092
                              <http://unex.uci.edu/courses/sectiondetail.aspx?year=2012&term=Fall&sid=00092>

                              Only way to truly test someone knowledge about Analytics is to have a close
                              door exam and verifying the identity of the person from a government
                              provided picture ID (drivers' license or passport). The Analytics and
                              AdWords certification exams should be conducted similar to the SAT, GRE,
                              LSAT etc. exams. These exams should be conducted in a few major cities
                              (L.A., NY, Chicago etc.) a few times a year. To enter the examination room,
                              a person should show a valid photo ID (same restriction as for SAT, GRE
                              exams). The time should be limited to like 4-5 hours with open notes and
                              open books.

                              Currently Google certification is done online. Anyone who wants to pass the
                              exam can easily request a friend (who is an expert) to sit right next to
                              that person for couple of hours and answer all the questions.

                              Google certification is for people who want to test their own knowledge.
                              This certificate should not be a part of anyone's resume.

                              Ash Pahwa

                              Check out the point and counter point to certification, two great posts on
                              All Analytics

                              Point: http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408
                              <http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408&doc_id=254977>
                              &doc_id=254977
                              Counter point: http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408
                              <http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408&doc_id=254982>
                              &doc_id=254982

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                              , "Stephane Hamel" <shamel67@...> wrote:

                              > Here's what I would do: take the offer and then write a very nice article
                              stating the name of this stupid moron. :)

                              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                              <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "mohitjain01" <mohit@> wrote:

                              > > Hi Everyone,
                              > >
                              > > Please check out this post on Freelancer.com where a buyer is openly
                              searching for Freelancer who can take GAIQ exam on his behalf and get him
                              GAIQ certified.

                              http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Internet-Marketing-SEO/Google-Analytics-C
                              ertificate.html

                              > > The real work is what matters in the end the day but certifications
                              helps us build some credibility in eyes of people who don't know us and
                              particularly when new comers use these Certifications as a medium to at
                              least get shortlisted for the job interviews where they can actually prove
                              themselves.

                              > > The guy who has posted the project on Freelancer.com is definitely doing
                              it for some unknown benefit but indirectly he is doing a harm to entire
                              #measure community and particularly to the value of the GAIQ test in eyes of
                              us all and also prospective employers. The blame can be equally distributed
                              to those people who are ready to help such people.

                              > > DAA Certification is 'fool proof' and it's more about analysis rather
                              than tools but even today a large number of companies which doesn't have
                              full time analyst consider the one who knows the tools and then actual
                              analysis. Do you agree with me? Does these tools certifications really
                              matter to a Digital Marketer who is taking interview of an analyst to grow
                              his team?

                              > > What does this community think about it? I know a lot has already been
                              said and written on this topic but how do we deal with this? Or do we really
                              need to worry about it? Or the Tool Vendors needs to tighten up the
                              processes so the value of these certifications don't start depreciating?

                              > > Well I personally thought that blogging is some sort of a right way to
                              build a rapport in eyes of industry peers and also prospective employers but
                              does Certifications have no value now?

                              > > Please share your thoughts if you can.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > Mohit
                              > > www.analytics.ae

                            • BClifton
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 13, 2012
                                As the originator of the GAIQ training material and exam while at Google, this type of thing does dishearten me. Having said that, it was never intended to be guarantee of anything - other than the person who passed the exam had a good understanding of how the product can be setup and used. Essentially I tried to improve on the existing Adwords qualification exam that was effective, though flawed.

                                So having a GAIQ badge (or any other "qualification") could certainly open the door for an interview/discussion. However, any savvy web marketer will see through a fake within 30 mins. Even if not picked up, a person who puts more effort into faking ability rather than proving it, is clearly not going to be very effective at their job. Pretty soon that individual will have no reputation left - something that is much harder to attain than the GAIQ in the first place.

                                So I think "natural selection" will sort this type of thing out...

                                Best regards, Brian Clifton
                                Former Head of Web Analytics, Google EMEA