Re: Bonus payments and targets for inhouse analysts

  • insightelligence
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
      Hi guys,

      Thanks very much for your thoughtful responses. It is really interesting to see that even among you as long experienced practicioners the approaches to measure an analysts performance diverge quite a bit. It seems to me that whereas the basis to incentivise most roles within an e-commerce (or even online in general) company are *pretty* common sense, the definition of a good performance can ironically not be nailed down very easy for analysts. The folks who measure cannot be measured, haha.

      My impression after sleeping over your responses is that the responsibilities, degrees of freedom, reporting structures etc. for web / BI analysts vary so much between companies that compensation schemes might be radically different - but still make sense within each business. Which means my hope to find a somewhat general approach was probably a bit naive. I take that as a learning and will sit down to think even more about how our teams actually work together - explititly and implicitly - and where exactly I am adding value.

      Jim, please let me comment on your point of view. I perfectly understand your objections against the more, well, "micro" measures. Especially from a managerial perspective, the ideal of having a great team where everybody helps everybody is certainly charming - believe me, also for me! But: When at the end of the year your salary is 20% lower than it should actually be because somebody had decided to migrate to a buggy technology or because a key strategic partner terminates all contracts after having an argument with your boss - then you get to a point very quickly where ... well, you get the idea. Of course, things like these just happen - bad luck, so what, it might all be better next year. But still, I would love to earn at least 50% of my bonus by myself. Otherwise from my personal viewpoint, spending more time with my family is a more attractive alternative than working as hard again for no decent reward.

      Best and thanks again,
      Michael
    • Jim Sterne
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2012
        Yes, Michael - the "lifts all boats" method of profit sharing can be painful
        when there are those who are happy to punch hole in the hull. But the only
        place a self-determined bonus plan works is in the sales department. I did
        that for 15 years and did very well.... I work hard and do the right things
        and I earned a commission. Every other job is too difficult to calculate and
        too easy to game :-(