Need help/recommendation with setting up google analytics

  • Sugam Khokhani
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hello All,
      I handle analytics account for an automotive company and we are currently
      using Omniture. There is a thought of also using google analytics to
      perform more analysis as we have restrictive access to Omniture.
      This implementation will be needed on 2000+ (over a period of time) dealer
      sites. After doing some research I have come up with following approach:
      Track every dealer site with individual GA account and set up a global
      account that has data coming from all dealers.

      Is this the right approach? If yes, the next question that comes to my mind
      is the overhead of creating these GA accounts- any way to automate this?

      Sugam

    • Hannah Poferl
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
        Sugan,

        Are your dealer sites all running on the same platform, or do they have
        unique CMS's?

        My initial thought is that it would be far easier to use the same GA
        account for all of the sites, and use a custom variable to set the
        dealership IDs (assuming dealer IDs appear somewhere within the front-end
        code). This way, if they're all on the same platform, you can tag once and
        avoid the management woes of opening so many accounts and creating so many
        unique user IDs.

        -Hannah

        On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Sugam Khokhani <sugam.khokhani@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello All,
        > I handle analytics account for an automotive company and we are currently
        > using Omniture. There is a thought of also using google analytics to
        > perform more analysis as we have restrictive access to Omniture.
        > This implementation will be needed on 2000+ (over a period of time) dealer
        > sites. After doing some research I have come up with following approach:
        > Track every dealer site with individual GA account and set up a global
        > account that has data coming from all dealers.
        >
        > Is this the right approach? If yes, the next question that comes to my mind
        > is the overhead of creating these GA accounts- any way to automate this?
        >
        > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sugam

      • Allaedin Ezzedin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
          Hi Sugam,

          The answer to your question will depend on multiple factors (here are few):

          - Are the 2000+ dealer portals are full functioning websites or
          just landing pages.

          - What is the traffic volume for each web property?

          - Where is the conversation taking place? Macro and micro
          conversions?

          - How different sites are interacting with each other?

          - Do you care about unique visitors across sites? Cross-domain
          tracking?

          I personally prefer the approach of creating one GA account for each domain
          and one roll-up account for all, but 2000 sites seems to many to manage
          especially if the corporate team has no full access/control over the 2000
          dealer sites.

          Here is a blog post that I wrote back in 2009 about account structure in GA

          http://analytics.blogspot.com/2009/09/advanced-structure-your-account-with.h
          tml

          Good luck,

          -Allaedin Ezzedin-

          Senior Web Analyst | E-Nor Inc.

          408.988.0003 x 114 | @AllaedinEzzedin <http://twitter.com/AllaedinEzzedin>
          <https://plus.google.com/110493730312224281203/about>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
            Agree with Hannah 100%.

            Also, just ensure you have cross-domain tracking, so you can get a correct count of unique visitors across all properties. From there, you can use filtered profiles to get each site's information, as well as the aggregate volume.

          • Sugam Khokhani
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
              Hello,
              Wishing everyone a very happy and prosperous new year!!

              Thanks Hannah, Allaedin and G Scott Stukey for responding to my query.

              We have decided to create individual accounts for each dealer as the single
              account will have to be a google premium account due to the volume and we
              don't want to take that path.

              Now that the first part is final, I have a few follow up questions:
              1. I read somewhere that one login can have maximum of 50 GA accounts. Is
              this true?
              2. Primary reason for using GA is to present better monthly reports to
              dealers rather than a predefined format that does not have any graphs but
              data. I came across multiple automation tools to pull data like Tatvic, GA
              Excel Functions by Mikael Thuneberg, etc but these work in Excel. Anyone
              has any recommendations/experience using GA APIs (or anything else) which
              can be used to generate reports and display it on a web page (a portal
              where dealers login to view the monthly report). Any help on this would be
              really appreciated.

              Cheers,
              Sugam