Google Analytics Help Needed

  • yogitawadhwa
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hello group,

      Hope all are well.

      I have used Omniture a lot more in my analytics work than Google
      Analytics. A project I am on requires GA and am struglling with a couple
      of seemingly simple segments.

      Would really appreciate if someone can advise on the below.

      1. Need to create a segment on users who visited pages from URL1 or URL2
      and so on. Another condition is that they should have visited two or
      more pages with these URLs. If I use Pageviews > 1, my understanding is
      that it would only take into account users who visited AT LEAST 2 pages
      with ONE of these URLs. Perhaps, it would be better to use Page Depth
      instead. WOudl have used Page Depth > 2.

      (a) Would Page depth be better than pageviews constraint?
      (b) When I try to apply Page depth, it gives me the option to aply
      filter as if it were text and not number, i.e. instead of giving greater
      than, less than options, it gives me containing etc. ( I was hoping to
      attach/paste screenshot, but couldn't figure out how to do that on this
      board).

      2. How to create Organic search segment broken down by branded and
      non-branded? Need to report separately on Organic branded and Organic
      non-branded keywords.

      3. Understand that "not provided" appears in the keyword list because
      Google does not track if one is logged in to Google+ and so. Please
      correct if that's not right/ How to categorise those keywords in
      branded or non-branded?

      Many thanks,
      Yogita
    • Michael Ellensohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
        Hi Yogita,

        This is my first post in this forum and probably it will show up twice
        because I did another one before directly in the board instead of via
        e-mail... whatever, let's try it again.

        1. I'm afraid that there is no solution to what you are looking for in GA.
        Maybe someone else has a smart idea.

        2. For your brand search segment:

        Include > Medium > Exactly matching > "organic"
        AND
        (
        Include > Keyword > Containing > "brand term"
        OR
        Include > Keyword > Containing > "misspelled brand term"
        )

        For your generic (non-brand) search segment:

        Include > Medium > Exactly matching > "organic"
        AND
        Exclude > Keyword > Containing > "brand term"
        AND
        Exclude > Keyword > Containing > "misspelled brand term"
        AND
        Exclude > Keyword > Exactly matching > "(not provided)"

        Last but not least I would suggest to create a third segment for not
        provided keywords. All three segments should sum up to total search traffic.

        3. I don't know what you are aiming at with your analysis. Let's say you
        want to report how much traffic and revenue you had with branded vs.
        generic search. Then you could export traffic and revenue for all three
        search segments above (1 - brand; 2 - generic; 3 - not provided). Assuming
        that logged in users use the same keywords than not logged in users (I
        don't see a reason to not assuming that), you can simply split the traffic
        and revenue from the not provided search segment to the two other segments.
        Of course not 50:50, but weighting by traffic of the two main segments.

        Avinash Kaushik presents quite a complex way how to deal with not provided
        keyword traffic - you might want to have a look at that too:
        http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/google-secure-search-keyword-data-analysis/

        Best,
        Michael

      • Yogita Wadhwa
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
          Hi Michael,

          Thank you for your response. Sorry about the delay.

          On the first one, I figured that Excluding Page depth = 2 will give me what I need.

          Best,
          Yogita

        • c.punitha
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
            Hi Yogita,

            Regarding creation of Organic search segment broken down by branded and non-branded,
            http://bit.ly/H3ZeF3
            this link will help you in adding Branded and Non Branded Keywords separately in Google Analytics Dashboard.

            Thanks and Regards
            C. Punitha