Re: Most valuable experience to have in your technical skill set as a web analyst

  • Samrat Dsouza
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hi

      I second Vernon here. I have felt the difference myself after being many web analyst. If you know your way through a log file and sessions, you've won half the battle being a good web analyst which most wouldn't even think about.

      More than half the analyst I have met think Omniture or any other tool give cent percent correct data. While I have had instances where it wasn't.

      In fact a great analytics company in India i worked for, Nabler, used to take interview tests with log files.

      Thanks
      Samrat d'souza

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Vernon Wyatt <vernon.wyatt@...> wrote:

      > Hi Greg,
      >
      > When I started off as a developer many years ago, everything clicked for me
      > when I would tail the system logs with my session id (access, app,
      > database, etc) and watch them as I navigated through the site. It taught me
      > everything. You see how things work together and you learn how to interpret
      > that data.
      >
      > Fast forward many years and the best thing I tell web analysts to do is
      > create a session on your web site and find the trail of data in your web
      > analytic tools, logs, database, etc. Try and get as close to the raw data
      > as possible.
      >
      > At the end of the day, you need to understand how the web analytic tools
      > interpret the customer experience and if you analyze your own session you
      > know exactly what you did and you will learn how your tools are
      > interpreting what customers do. Then you will have a better appreciation
      > and understanding of where the data aggregations come from and uncover
      > potential issues and opportunities.
      >
      > Regarding a good resource for learning. Well, I have an amazing
      > resource....it doesn't get any better than....Coursera and Udacity...if you
      > haven't been turned on to this yet....you're welcome
      > http://www.class-central.com/
      >
      > Hope that helps.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Vernon
      >

      > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Greg <gpolkin5@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > As a non-tech savvy web analyst, I am curious what technical skills you
      > > feel are critical and any good resources you might suggest to acquire those
      > > skills. I am not talking the basics such as use of Omniture, SAS, Excel but
      > > rather more technical/dev type skills.
      > >
      > > Tks,Greg

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2012
        I appreciate you guys sharing your perspectives.

        Greg

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gpolkin5@...> wrote:

        > As a non-tech savvy web analyst, I am curious what technical skills you feel are critical and any good resources you might suggest to acquire those skills. I am not talking the basics such as use of Omniture, SAS, Excel but rather more technical/dev type skills.
        >
        > Tks,Greg

      • loveandsqualor2001
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
          If you regard SQL as being sufficiently technical, I highly recommend learning it. The ability to write complex queries and build custom data marts has been a big asset in my career.