Most valuable experience to have in your technical skill set as a web analyst

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      As a non-tech savvy web analyst, I am curious what technical skills you feel are critical and any good resources you might suggest to acquire those skills. I am not talking the basics such as use of Omniture, SAS, Excel but rather more technical/dev type skills.

      Tks,Greg
    • Bob Willis
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
        A good understanding of javascript is a solid start. Ability to write/understand db queries is also helpful. Also, something I find a lot of my customers unable to do, that is very valuable, is knowing how to see exactly what values are being sent to your web analytics tool from your site's pages. This can be done using a wide variety of tools like httpfox, httpwatch, fiddler, WASP, etc. Simply being able to go to a page and seeing what values are being passed can help debug a lot of issues.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
          The most valuable skill I've developed is to duoble-check my work before
          hitting the send button. J

          -Craig

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
            Hi Greg,

            When I started off as a developer many years ago, everything clicked for me
            when I would tail the system logs with my session id (access, app,
            database, etc) and watch them as I navigated through the site. It taught me
            everything. You see how things work together and you learn how to interpret
            that data.

            Fast forward many years and the best thing I tell web analysts to do is
            create a session on your web site and find the trail of data in your web
            analytic tools, logs, database, etc. Try and get as close to the raw data
            as possible.

            At the end of the day, you need to understand how the web analytic tools
            interpret the customer experience and if you analyze your own session you
            know exactly what you did and you will learn how your tools are
            interpreting what customers do. Then you will have a better appreciation
            and understanding of where the data aggregations come from and uncover
            potential issues and opportunities.

            Regarding a good resource for learning. Well, I have an amazing
            resource....it doesn't get any better than....Coursera and Udacity...if you
            haven't been turned on to this yet....you're welcome
            http://www.class-central.com/

            Hope that helps.

            Regards,

            Vernon

            On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Greg <gpolkin5@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > As a non-tech savvy web analyst, I am curious what technical skills you
            > feel are critical and any good resources you might suggest to acquire those
            > skills. I am not talking the basics such as use of Omniture, SAS, Excel but
            > rather more technical/dev type skills.
            >
            > Tks,Greg

          • gamerpatrick
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
              JavaScript is good for many reasons.

              1) Helps you understand how things are tracked, and allows you to be a more productive contributor to the implementation process.
              2) Gives you a better understanding of how websites work, which in turn improves your ability to assess anomalies and gauge impact on reports of various technical events.
              3) Keeps you in the logical frame of mind. Keeps you rooted in thinking objectively and provides grounding from getting swept-up in the gut-feeling meetings.
              4) It's a great stepping stone to more advanced business intelligence work with languages like R.

              - Patrick
              http://pmazzotta.com

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bob Willis <bntwillis@...> wrote:

              > A good understanding of javascript is a solid start. Ability to write/understand db queries is also helpful. Also, something I find a lot of my customers unable to do, that is very valuable, is knowing how to see exactly what values are being sent to your web analytics tool from your site's pages. This can be done using a wide variety of tools like httpfox, httpwatch, fiddler, WASP, etc. Simply being able to go to a page and seeing what values are being passed can help debug a lot of issues.

            • Julien Coquet
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
                "I know kung fu, erm, Javascript"

                On Nov 3, 2012 10:30 AM, "gamerpatrick" <patrickgamer@...> wrote:

                > JavaScript is good for many reasons.
                >
                > 1) Helps you understand how things are tracked, and allows you to be a
                more productive contributor to the implementation process.
                > 2) Gives you a better understanding of how websites work, which in turn
                improves your ability to assess anomalies and gauge impact on reports of
                various technical events.
                > 3) Keeps you in the logical frame of mind. Keeps you rooted in thinking
                objectively and provides grounding from getting swept-up in the gut-feeling
                meetings.
                > 4) It's a great stepping stone to more advanced business intelligence
                work with languages like R.

                > - Patrick
                > http://pmazzotta.com
                >

                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bob Willis <bntwillis@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > A good understanding of javascript is a solid start. Ability to
                write/understand db queries is also helpful. Also, something I find a lot
                of my customers unable to do, that is very valuable, is knowing how to see
                exactly what values are being sent to your web analytics tool from your
                site's pages. This can be done using a wide variety of tools like httpfox,
                httpwatch, fiddler, WASP, etc. Simply being able to go to a page and seeing
                what values are being passed can help debug a lot of issues.

              • Samrat Dsouza
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
                  Hi

                  I second Vernon here. I have felt the difference myself after being many web analyst. If you know your way through a log file and sessions, you've won half the battle being a good web analyst which most wouldn't even think about.

                  More than half the analyst I have met think Omniture or any other tool give cent percent correct data. While I have had instances where it wasn't.

                  In fact a great analytics company in India i worked for, Nabler, used to take interview tests with log files.

                  Thanks
                  Samrat d'souza

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Vernon Wyatt <vernon.wyatt@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Greg,
                  >
                  > When I started off as a developer many years ago, everything clicked for me
                  > when I would tail the system logs with my session id (access, app,
                  > database, etc) and watch them as I navigated through the site. It taught me
                  > everything. You see how things work together and you learn how to interpret
                  > that data.
                  >
                  > Fast forward many years and the best thing I tell web analysts to do is
                  > create a session on your web site and find the trail of data in your web
                  > analytic tools, logs, database, etc. Try and get as close to the raw data
                  > as possible.
                  >
                  > At the end of the day, you need to understand how the web analytic tools
                  > interpret the customer experience and if you analyze your own session you
                  > know exactly what you did and you will learn how your tools are
                  > interpreting what customers do. Then you will have a better appreciation
                  > and understanding of where the data aggregations come from and uncover
                  > potential issues and opportunities.
                  >
                  > Regarding a good resource for learning. Well, I have an amazing
                  > resource....it doesn't get any better than....Coursera and Udacity...if you
                  > haven't been turned on to this yet....you're welcome
                  > http://www.class-central.com/
                  >
                  > Hope that helps.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Vernon
                  >

                  > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Greg <gpolkin5@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > As a non-tech savvy web analyst, I am curious what technical skills you
                  > > feel are critical and any good resources you might suggest to acquire those
                  > > skills. I am not talking the basics such as use of Omniture, SAS, Excel but
                  > > rather more technical/dev type skills.
                  > >
                  > > Tks,Greg

                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2012
                    I appreciate you guys sharing your perspectives.

                    Greg

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gpolkin5@...> wrote:

                    > As a non-tech savvy web analyst, I am curious what technical skills you feel are critical and any good resources you might suggest to acquire those skills. I am not talking the basics such as use of Omniture, SAS, Excel but rather more technical/dev type skills.
                    >
                    > Tks,Greg

                  • loveandsqualor2001
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
                      If you regard SQL as being sufficiently technical, I highly recommend learning it. The ability to write complex queries and build custom data marts has been a big asset in my career.