Advanced segment - desperately! Help me get my sleep again.

  • tervebe
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2012
      I'm struggling with a strange/changed (?) logic in segments.

      I'd like to segment the visits that have visited at least 1 page with URL /search? AND brand=ABC in it (the parameter "brand" can follow directly after /search?, but most of the times other parameters are in between them).

      When testing this advanced filter on the All pages report, everything is fine.
      Only url's that URL /search? AND brand=ABC in it, are shown:
      page containing regex /search\?
      AND
      page containing regex brand=ABC

      When testing this as a segment, things go wrong/awkward/illogically.
      When testing only the first expression: everything is ok. I can relate the fluctuation in visits (of this segment) to the fluctuation in unique pageviews for that same regex via advanced filter in the All pages report.
      But changing the segment to contain both expressions, using AND, GA is also taking the visits into account that have visited pages with /search/ AND brand=ABC in it, without having visited pages with URL /search? AND brand=ABC

      This is weird. Any thoughts on this one?
      I've found a way to resolve my problem (/search\?(.*)brand=ABC), but everything I knew about segments is on loose ground now, so I like to know the logic that those segments follow, and I like to know why this logic differs from advanced filters in the All pages report.