tracking userID using visitor login

  • c.punitha
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
      Can I track userID using which visitor login in my portal in Sitecatalyst?
    • Ketan Vakil
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
        You could send a User ID into a custom variable if you wish� I'd recommend sending that into both an eVar and Prop variable to you can break both traffic and conversion down by User IDs.

        -K

        ---
        Ketan Vakil
        ketan@... / ketan@... / 518.506.6812
        www.kmvdigital.com

        On Oct 30, 2012, at 10:55 AM, c.punitha <c.punitha@...> wrote:

        > Can I track userID using which visitor login in my portal in Sitecatalyst?

      • webbingyourway
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
          Hi c.Puntiha

          It depends on what you ar eusing for userID and your companies policy. I can say that at the company where I work, we are capturing information when a visitor logs in that is a numeric version - which we can combine with our offline data to know who this person is. My suggestion would be:

          - contact your companies lawyers to see if your site's policy includes information stating that you can capture this information
          - ensure that the data you are capturing cannot identify a person to anyone outside of your company, such as a numeric key value.

          Regards

          Webbingyourway
          http://www.webbingyourway.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2012
            Thank you...

            After capturing user ID, I also wanted to have user name, role, company name of customer in Omniture.What is the best practice to do that?

            Currently the Username and other details are in DWH. But when a customer comes to my portal, I wanted to pass his profiles details(2/3 attributes) to Omniture.

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "webbingyourway" <webbingyourway1@...> wrote:

            > Hi c.Puntiha
            >
            > It depends on what you ar eusing for userID and your companies policy. I can say that at the company where I work, we are capturing information when a visitor logs in that is a numeric version - which we can combine with our offline data to know who this person is. My suggestion would be:
            >
            > - contact your companies lawyers to see if your site's policy includes information stating that you can capture this information
            > - ensure that the data you are capturing cannot identify a person to anyone outside of your company, such as a numeric key value.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Webbingyourway
            > http://www.webbingyourway.com
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "c.punitha" <c.punitha@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can I track userID using which visitor login in my portal in Sitecatalyst?

          • Data Analyst
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
              Hi Punita,

              Why not do offline integration? Collect cookie ID and take it back to your backend with user ID?

              Saves you trouble of PII questions.

              Thanks

              Sent from my iPad

              On Nov 1, 2012, at 1:38 AM, "c.punitha" <c.punitha@...> wrote:

              > Thank you...
              >
              > After capturing user ID, I also wanted to have user name, role, company name of customer in Omniture.What is the best practice to do that?
              >
              > Currently the Username and other details are in DWH. But when a customer comes to my portal, I wanted to pass his profiles details(2/3 attributes) to Omniture.
              >
              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "webbingyourway" <webbingyourway1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi c.Puntiha
              > >
              > > It depends on what you ar eusing for userID and your companies policy. I can say that at the company where I work, we are capturing information when a visitor logs in that is a numeric version - which we can combine with our offline data to know who this person is. My suggestion would be:
              > >
              > > - contact your companies lawyers to see if your site's policy includes information stating that you can capture this information
              > > - ensure that the data you are capturing cannot identify a person to anyone outside of your company, such as a numeric key value.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > >
              > > Webbingyourway
              > > http://www.webbingyourway.com
              > >
              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "c.punitha" <c.punitha@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Can I track userID using which visitor login in my portal in Sitecatalyst?

            • Craig Scribner
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
                I agree. I think it’s unwise to collect anything that’s human-readable about individuals in javascript image requests.

                -Craig

                On Nov 1, 2012, at 1:38 AM, "c.punitha" <c.punitha@... <mailto:c.punitha%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                > Thank you...
                >
                > After capturing user ID, I also wanted to have user name, role, company name of customer in Omniture.What is the best practice to do that?
                >
                > Currently the Username and other details are in DWH. But when a customer comes to my portal, I wanted to pass his profiles details(2/3 attributes) to Omniture.
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "webbingyourway" <webbingyourway1@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi c.Puntiha
                > >
                > > It depends on what you ar eusing for userID and your companies policy. I can say that at the company where I work, we are capturing information when a visitor logs in that is a numeric version - which we can combine with our offline data to know who this person is. My suggestion would be:
                > >
                > > - contact your companies lawyers to see if your site's policy includes information stating that you can capture this information
                > > - ensure that the data you are capturing cannot identify a person to anyone outside of your company, such as a numeric key value.
                > >
                > > Regards
                > >
                > > Webbingyourway
                > > http://www.webbingyourway.com
                > >
                > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "c.punitha" <c.punitha@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Can I track userID using which visitor login in my portal in Sitecatalyst?

              • adamgreco
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2012
                  In this situation, if you decide that you want to have extra data about ID's (i.e. Company Name) natively in SiteCatalyst, you can consider using a DB VISTA rule to add this data to new SiteCatalyst variables or SAINT Classifications. The DB VISTA approach would require you to keep a User ID table updated on Omniture's servers. The SAINT approach would require regular SAINT maintenance...Both of these will avoid the passing of PII data in JavaScript...

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Scribner" <craigdscribner@...> wrote:

                  > I agree. I think it’s unwise to collect anything that’s human-readable about individuals in javascript image requests.
                  >

                  > -Craig

                • Samrat Dsouza
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2012
                    Hi Punitha

                    Hope you started with the userid and otehr classifications being offline somewhere. as suggested can do the integration of data through DB vista or even through eVar's.

                    Tread ahead, only if this is an Intranet application, else your client or organization may be in trouble latter through legal issues.
                    I'd take the suggestions against collecting such info given here seriously.

                    Cheers
                    Samrat D'souza