RE: [webanalytics] Difference between Evar and Event?

  • Craig Scribner
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2012
      Rekha,

      An eVar is like a virtual cookie on the user's browser, and it works in
      conjunction with events. Set an eVar when somebody interacts with your Price
      Comparison widget, and then fire an event when somebody buys a product, and
      at the end of the day you can see how many sales were driven by your Price
      Comparison widget.

      Traffic variables ("props") on the other hand, simply count how many times
      an activity took place. So setting a prop on the Price Comparison widget
      would tell you how often it happened, or how many people clicked on it, but
      it won't tell you what those people went on to accomplish.

      The one thing that props can do that eVars can't is they can be promoted to
      allow pathing. That's a different topic.

      Best regards,

      Craig

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2012
        Hi Rekha,

        Craig is right. I am just going to word it slightly different. An eVar explains while the events is a numeric value explaining when that is the last value shown when the action happened.

        An example of how you would use these, capture how a visitor came into your site in an eVar, and use the events to show the checkout journey. That way, you can see which campaign model works best to get a customer down the checkout funnel. By doing this, you can see where your trouble points are during the funnel, optimising your site for how the customer comes in.

        We also use an eVar set for the page, so we can see conversion for the page as pageName does not do this very well.

        Webbingyourway
        www.webbingyourway.com