Omniture SC Marketing channel rules

  • Kush Soni
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
      hi All,

      I was doing an activity for marketing channel and found that 27% or our
      orders are getting attributed to the direct channel; I doubt this is
      correct and felt that my marketing channel processing rules are not correct.

      Currently to identify a direct channel we have defined the rule as follows..

      Does anyone else faced the same problem or think that % of direct channel
      orders is making sense? If not please can you share info/thoughts around
      various rules we should set to identify the direct channel.
      --

      Cheers!
      - K -

    • Kush Soni
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
        Seems, my images lost in the post....:-)

        the Rule is..

        If referrer for the visit is not exist and page is the first page of the
        visit then identify this as direct channel.

        --

        Cheers!
        - K -

      • adamgreco
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
          I have noticed a rise in Direct Traffic for several clients and one potential cause might be the fact that more and more browsers have the "Omnibox" as the address bar which can often translate search keywords to URL's so fast that by the time visitors click, the direct URL has been substituted...You might want to check to see if the rise is related to Chrome and Safari which both have this "Omnibox" feature...

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Kush Soni <studentkush@...> wrote:

          > hi All,
          >
          > I was doing an activity for marketing channel and found that 27% or our
          > orders are getting attributed to the direct channel; I doubt this is
          > correct and felt that my marketing channel processing rules are not correct.
          >
          > Currently to identify a direct channel we have defined the rule as follows..
          >

          > Does anyone else faced the same problem or think that % of direct channel
          > orders is making sense? If not please can you share info/thoughts around
          > various rules we should set to identify the direct channel.
          > --
          >
          > Cheers!
          > - K -
          > 9811445797

        • Ross j
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
            This has been a problem for a very long time. Welcome to the club. I have one solution that gives me the MOST confidence. We get the session level data from their data feed and have established significant business rules to filter these channel buckets as accurately as we can.

            Not easy, but gives me and my clients peace of mind.

            Cheers

            Ross J
            SVP of Analytics
            RAPP LA

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Sep 28, 2012, at 4:22 AM, Kush Soni <studentkush@...> wrote:

            > hi All,
            >
            > I was doing an activity for marketing channel and found that 27% or our
            > orders are getting attributed to the direct channel; I doubt this is
            > correct and felt that my marketing channel processing rules are not correct.
            >
            > Currently to identify a direct channel we have defined the rule as follows..
            >
            > Does anyone else faced the same problem or think that % of direct channel
            > orders is making sense? If not please can you share info/thoughts around
            > various rules we should set to identify the direct channel.
            > --
            >
            > Cheers!
            > - K -
            > 9811445797

          • JudahPhillips
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
              A user's business interpretation of vocabulary in vendor tools can often differ from the technical definition, configuration, and/or implementation of the data collection, which leads to analytical misinterpretation and confusion. While the vendor will tell you the data are correct for their "rule," you are, of course, asking a different business question, which the basic traffic source data in SC likely can't answer sufficiently.

              "Direct" traffic is better defined as "traffic from an unknown source" as opposed to the commonly-held belief that somebody always typed or bookmarked the entry page. Technically this traffic likely has no referrer (some tools segment "direct" on other rules including no referrer.)

              Lots of reasons exist for referrer-less or unknown traffic can be found on the web. The best analytics teams and technologies (often a combination of technologies) attempt to determine the source of unknown traffic using many different techniques for attribution. SC can likely be further tuned/configured to assist too.

              You can read more about these concepts in this book "Win with Business Analytics." I wrote the digital analytics, social analytics, and mobile analytics chapters - and my former boss and several former analytics/research peers after we all left Monster in Q1 this year - wrote the rest of book.

              http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1118370600/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/176-6761302-9305330

              Judah

              Sent from my iPhone