Possible issue with Google Analytics location report

  • stephen_verspan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2012
      Hi,

      I'm reviewing a location report in GA, and the visits that I get for some regions are very low. I am wondering if the data is actually correct. Is there a way I can double-check that GA properly captures geographical data/traffic?

      Thanks,

      Stephen.
    • Geoff Harper
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2012
        Because the location report is IP-based, there will be some precision
        issues related to proxies, how ISPs dole out IP addresses, etc. I've heard
        ranges of 75-90% accuracy for these types of reports, and tend to use them
        with that in mind.

        If you are interested in determining this accuracy for your site, do you
        have any way to gather geographical information from the visitors directly?
        For example, on a US retailer's site we already collected zip code for
        pricing reasons and did a quick database lookup to capture the city & state
        in visitor-scoped custom variables. We then did a quick analysis using
        custom reports to gauge the accuracy of IP-based geography reports to
        better understand whether the client could use the IP-based geography for
        promotion targeting (we could at the state level, but city accuracy was too
        low). If you have a good reason to collect some geography info from your
        users (or are willing to do a test where you collect from a sample like a
        survey), you should be able to answer your question.

        Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

        Geoff
        gharper@...

        On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM, stephen_verspan
        <stephen_verspan@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm reviewing a location report in GA, and the visits that I get for some
        > regions are very low. I am wondering if the data is actually correct. Is
        > there a way I can double-check that GA properly captures geographical
        > data/traffic?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Stephen.

      • Samrat Dsouza
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2012
          Hi

          It's done through IP. Might be wifi locations, not sure if google has started using location info for analytics.

          Moreover, depends on your site and the traffic it'd be getting. B2B, sites would always have that info incorrect due to two reasons:
          Proxy and on the move high profile visitors.

          While as b2C sites get a bit more accurate region info. Untill unless you have hitec visitors who would be again behind a proxy (Visitors looking for electronics and computer products).

          To keep it short, it's inaccurate due to IP's.

          Thanks
          Samrat D'souza