Re: [webanalytics] Measures of Causality

  • Matt Curtis
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2012
      You should be able to see, by source (marketing or organic), where your
      traffic came from. You can break it down by each channel and see which
      source is over-penetrated for the time period you're looking at.

      For example, you see a 10% increase in Visits to *yoursite.com/landing.jsp*
      *
      *
      You pull up your generic web analytics tool and open up your marketing
      channels / campaigns / traffic sources report.

      You breakdown the traffic to *yoursite.com/landing.jsp* by marketing
      channel and see that Paid Search is up 20% during that time period. You
      compare this lift with the penetrations and raw comps for other channels
      and make an evaluation.

    • jglinski@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2012
        Ok but how do we determine if the traffic source is the variable driving that increase in this example...Say we also saw a 20% increase in mobile traffic, how can we decipher if paid search was the reason for the overall increase in visits instead of the platform being used.

        Thanks for the response.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2012
          Ah - so you want to understand how increased or decreased spend in a given
          marketing channel affects traffic in other channels?

          If so, take a look at autocorrelation / regressive forecasting models. You
          won't be able to determine causality (which is something that statisticians
          aren't all that interested in anyways), but you can determine correlation
          (which accounts for seasonality).

          You can use the open source stat package R do run a lot of these. They are
          very powerful and will add a lot of insight to how spend in marketing
          channels affects traffic elsewhere.

          Best,

          Matt

          On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM, jglinski@... <jglinski@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Ok but how do we determine if the traffic source is the variable driving
          > that increase in this example...Say we also saw a 20% increase in mobile
          > traffic, how can we decipher if paid search was the reason for the overall
          > increase in visits instead of the platform being used.
          >
          > Thanks for the response.
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Matt Curtis <matt.curtis@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > You should be able to see, by source (marketing or organic), where your
          > > traffic came from. You can break it down by each channel and see which
          > > source is over-penetrated for the time period you're looking at.
          > >
          > > For example, you see a 10% increase in Visits to *
          > yoursite.com/landing.jsp*
          > > *
          >
          > > *
          > > You pull up your generic web analytics tool and open up your marketing
          > > channels / campaigns / traffic sources report.
          > >
          > > You breakdown the traffic to *yoursite.com/landing.jsp* by marketing
          >
          > > channel and see that Paid Search is up 20% during that time period. You
          > > compare this lift with the penetrations and raw comps for other channels
          > > and make an evaluation.
          > >
          > > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM, jglinski@... <jglinski@...>wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          >

          > > > I'm in the process of putting together a dashboard and I would like to
          > > > actually draw some insights out of it once it's complete.
          > > >
          > > > Specifically, I'm curious what mathematic techniques or approaches I
          > might
          > > > be able to use to determine what drives certain traffic behavior.
          > > >
          > > > I understand this may be a slippery slope, but for example, if I report
          > > > out that landing page visits are up 10%, I would like to say Paid
          > > > was a primary driver behind this increase.
          > > >
          > > > Any insights are greatly appreciated.

        • Judah Phillips
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 17, 2012
            Be cautious when wielding even the CORREL function in Excel. Data aren't
            necessarily linear, especially site data, so don't apply a simple
            correlation coeff to them without hypothesis testing for linearity.
            Otherwise, your conclusions based on linear methods applied to non-linear
            data will be understimated at best and at worst totally wrong.

            I also would caution you against getting too wonky stats mathematical in
            your analysis to your managers - especially if you don't have any way to
            validate your results or at least check them against a colleague's
            datacheck who is an expert in these techniques. Wrongly applying these
            methods and getting called out on it in certain company will invalidate any
            of your accurate work and erode confidence in your abilities. Or you may
            confuse people with less numeracy by waxing poetic about how close your R2
            is to 1 when all they really want to know is how to spend money efficiently
            and generate profits.

            That said, if you feel comfortable applying stats or like taking risks, do
            it, just test yr data for linearity first. :)

            Judah