Re: [webanalytics] Ajax form tracking with Omniture sitecatalyst

  • craigdscribner@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 15, 2012
      You can fire the s.t() function any time you want, and each time a new page view will render in SiteCatalyst.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:21 AM, "Sid" <syedspiky@...> wrote:

      > Hi Group
      >
      > I would appreciate if anyone share their experience on Omniture code implementation on AJAX forms.
      >
      > The form on my site is built on AJAX (so url doesn't change) and has 3 steps and users input their different details in these 3 steps.
      >
      > I would like to generate a virtual pageview and collect the form data in omniture eVar and sProp variables everytime a step transition occurs.
      >
      > Can I collect the form data on AJAX page transition or is it possible to collect all form data (from step 1 - step 3) on the form completed confirmation page?
      >
      > Many thanks in advance.

    • Sid
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2012
        Hi Craig

        Many thanks for answering. Can I also fire eVar and sProp variables with s.t() call because I've read somewhere in adobe blog that it's only possible with s.tl() call but not with s.t() call? Can you please clarify if you can?

        Many thanks

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, craigdscribner@... wrote:

        > You can fire the s.t() function any time you want, and each time a new page view will render in SiteCatalyst.
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:21 AM, "Sid" <syedspiky@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Group
        > >
        > > I would appreciate if anyone share their experience on Omniture code implementation on AJAX forms.
        > >
        > > The form on my site is built on AJAX (so url doesn't change) and has 3 steps and users input their different details in these 3 steps.
        > >
        > > I would like to generate a virtual pageview and collect the form data in omniture eVar and sProp variables everytime a step transition occurs.
        > >
        > > Can I collect the form data on AJAX page transition or is it possible to collect all form data (from step 1 - step 3) on the form completed confirmation page?
        > >
        > > Many thanks in advance.

      • Craig Scribner
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 16, 2012
          No Sid that's absolutely wrong. s.t() is the function you're already using
          right now to capture all of your eVars and sprops on each of your static
          pages. All I'm talking about is firing that identical function when specific
          items are clicked or specific states are rendered in your Ajax.

          The only thing you have to be careful about is that all of the Omniture
          variables that you populated on the host page will still be populated if you
          just fire off the s.t() event again. So you want to set all of the props and
          eVars and anything else you populated, like channel or server etc, to
          blanks, otherwise they'll all get re-submitted on each of your virtual
          pages.

          Best regards,

          Craig

          801.836.8507

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
          , craigdscribner@... wrote:

          > You can fire the s.t() function any time you want, and each time a new
          page view will render in SiteCatalyst.

          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:21 AM, "Sid" <syedspiky@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Group
          > >
          > > I would appreciate if anyone share their experience on Omniture code
          implementation on AJAX forms.

          > > The form on my site is built on AJAX (so url doesn't change) and has 3
          steps and users input their different details in these 3 steps.

          > > I would like to generate a virtual pageview and collect the form data in
          omniture eVar and sProp variables everytime a step transition occurs.

          > > Can I collect the form data on AJAX page transition or is it possible to
          collect all form data (from step 1 - step 3) on the form completed
          confirmation page?

          > > Many thanks in advance.

        • Sid
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 20, 2012
            Hi Craig

            Thanks but I think I haven't been able to communicate my question well.

            I actually would like to fire a new custom eVar and sProp with the virtual page view tracking s.t() call. Is this theoretically possible with s.t() call? Hope this makes sense now.

            Many thanks

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Scribner" <craigdscribner@...> wrote:

            > No Sid that's absolutely wrong. s.t() is the function you're already using
            > right now to capture all of your eVars and sprops on each of your static
            > pages. All I'm talking about is firing that identical function when specific
            > items are clicked or specific states are rendered in your Ajax.
            >

            > The only thing you have to be careful about is that all of the Omniture
            > variables that you populated on the host page will still be populated if you
            > just fire off the s.t() event again. So you want to set all of the props and
            > eVars and anything else you populated, like channel or server etc, to
            > blanks, otherwise they'll all get re-submitted on each of your virtual
            > pages.
            >

            > Best regards,
            >
            > Craig
            >
            > 801.836.8507

          • VaBeachKevin
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 20, 2012
              You can set any variable with a s.t() call, and you can fire it any time you want. Every time a s.t() call happens, SiteCatalyst will record a page view, regardless of what actually happened. So if you have it fire on a click, when ajax content loads, when an button is moused over, it doesn't matter, they will each be counted as a page view as far as SiteCatalyst is concerned.

              The s.tl() call can also record every variable, except it will not record s.pageName (even though you see it in the image request) and it will not count a page view.

              Kevin Rogers
              http://webanalyticsland.com
              http://keystonesolutions.com

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Sid" <syedspiky@...> wrote:

              > Hi Craig
              >
              > Many thanks for answering. Can I also fire eVar and sProp variables with s.t() call because I've read somewhere in adobe blog that it's only possible with s.tl() call but not with s.t() call? Can you please clarify if you can?
              >
              > Many thanks
              >

              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, craigdscribner@ wrote:
              > >
              > > You can fire the s.t() function any time you want, and each time a new page view will render in SiteCatalyst.
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:21 AM, "Sid" <syedspiky@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi Group
              > > >
              > > > I would appreciate if anyone share their experience on Omniture code implementation on AJAX forms.
              > > >
              > > > The form on my site is built on AJAX (so url doesn't change) and has 3 steps and users input their different details in these 3 steps.
              > > >
              > > > I would like to generate a virtual pageview and collect the form data in omniture eVar and sProp variables everytime a step transition occurs.
              > > >
              > > > Can I collect the form data on AJAX page transition or is it possible to collect all form data (from step 1 - step 3) on the form completed confirmation page?
              > > >
              > > > Many thanks in advance.

            • Craig Scribner
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 20, 2012
                Sid,

                I understood your question. My answer must have been a little confusing.

                Yes, you can do what you want to do. It's not just a theory, it's a proven
                fact.

                Try firing a function like this in your Ajax call:

                s.pageName = "Custom Page Name"

                s.eVar1 = "Custom eVar1 Value"

                s.prop2 = "Custom prop2 Value"

                var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)

                Also, I recommend on Ajax & onClick calls to add in a little loop first to
                clear out the custom props and eVars that you might have set on the previous
                page, such as landing page campaign codes. Something like this:

                for(var i=1;i<150;i++){

                s['prop' + i] = "";

                s['eVar' + i] = "";

                s.events= "";

                }

                Best regards,

                Craig

                PS - did you not receive the email I sent you directly? It had a little HTML
                doc attached that you can study that does this exact thing.

                Thanks but I think I haven't been able to communicate my question well.

                I actually would like to fire a new custom eVar and sProp with the virtual
                page view tracking s.t() call. Is this theoretically possible with s.t()
                call? Hope this makes sense now.

                Many thanks

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                , "Craig Scribner" <craigdscribner@...> wrote:

                > No Sid that's absolutely wrong. s.t() is the function you're already using
                > right now to capture all of your eVars and sprops on each of your static
                > pages. All I'm talking about is firing that identical function when
                specific
                > items are clicked or specific states are rendered in your Ajax.
                >

                > The only thing you have to be careful about is that all of the Omniture
                > variables that you populated on the host page will still be populated if
                you
                > just fire off the s.t() event again. So you want to set all of the props
                and
                > eVars and anything else you populated, like channel or server etc, to
                > blanks, otherwise they'll all get re-submitted on each of your virtual
                > pages.
                >

                > Best regards,
                >
                > Craig
                >
                > 801.836.8507
                >

                > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Many thanks for answering. Can I also fire eVar and sProp variables with
                > s.t() call because I've read somewhere in adobe blog that it's only
                possible
                > with s.tl() call but not with s.t() call? Can you please clarify if you
                can?

                > Many thanks
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>
                > , craigdscribner@ wrote:
                > >
                > > You can fire the s.t() function any time you want, and each time a new
                > page view will render in SiteCatalyst.
                > >
                > > Sent from my iPhone
                > >
                > > On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:21 AM, "Sid" <syedspiky@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi Group
                > > >
                > > > I would appreciate if anyone share their experience on Omniture code
                > implementation on AJAX forms.
                > > >
                > > > The form on my site is built on AJAX (so url doesn't change) and has 3
                > steps and users input their different details in these 3 steps.
                > > >
                > > > I would like to generate a virtual pageview and collect the form data
                in
                > omniture eVar and sProp variables everytime a step transition occurs.
                > > >
                > > > Can I collect the form data on AJAX page transition or is it possible
                > collect all form data (from step 1 - step 3) on the form completed
                > confirmation page?
                > > >
                > > > Many thanks in advance.

              • Samrat Dsouza
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
                  Hi Sid

                  Yes, as Craig and Kevin stated, it can be done.

                  I suggest you do a sample trial and error method to have facts cleared before you move ahead, as these are basics of Omniture.

                  s.tl(), can record all eVars, props and events.except s.pageName. - That's why it doesn't inflate pageviews when used. It has an extra step for variables being declared and called though.
                  s.linkTrackVars = "eVar1,eVar20,events"; //list all variables to be set in the call, here.
                  s.linkTrackEvents = "event11";
                  followed by usual variables being declared which need to be set.

                  s.t(), is the basic call which omniture uses be default to record page views and obviously does record all eVars, props and events.

                  You'd need to clear variables, that were set in the previous call in case you don't need them and have a new set of variables for the call.

                  Last but not the least, Form steps on the same page.
                  Just make sure business is fine by capturing those steps as pages and in turn inflating page view counts.
                  I'd build a funnel analysis solution instead and avoid inflating page views and use s.tl() instead.

                  Omniture solutions should be aligned to business and reporting than being tech solution.

                  Hope it's clear and good to go.

                  Thanks
                  Samrat D'souza

                • Sid
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
                    Hi Craig

                    Many thanks for your very detailed answer! I really appreciate your help!

                    PS. I've received your doc on my email this morning. Many thanks.

                    Sid

                  • Sid
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
                      Hi Kevin

                      Many thanks for your response. I'm really amazed by the help shown by the members of this group. Many thanks Kevin!

                      Sid

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "VaBeachKevin" <vabeachkevin@...> wrote:

                      > You can set any variable with a s.t() call, and you can fire it any time you want. Every time a s.t() call happens, SiteCatalyst will record a page view, regardless of what actually happened. So if you have it fire on a click, when ajax content loads, when an button is moused over, it doesn't matter, they will each be counted as a page view as far as SiteCatalyst is concerned.
                      >
                      > The s.tl() call can also record every variable, except it will not record s.pageName (even though you see it in the image request) and it will not count a page view.
                      >

                      > Kevin Rogers
                      > http://webanalyticsland.com
                      > http://keystonesolutions.com
                      >

                      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Sid" <syedspiky@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hi Craig
                      > >
                      > > Many thanks for answering. Can I also fire eVar and sProp variables with s.t() call because I've read somewhere in adobe blog that it's only possible with s.tl() call but not with s.t() call? Can you please clarify if you can?
                      > >
                      > > Many thanks
                      > >

                      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, craigdscribner@ wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > You can fire the s.t() function any time you want, and each time a new page view will render in SiteCatalyst.
                      > > >
                      > > > Sent from my iPhone

                    • Sid
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 21, 2012
                        Hi Samrat

                        Thank you very much for your nice response!

                        I'm very intrigued about the funnel analysis idea with s.tl() call that you mentioned. I wasn't aware that it is possible to create funnel fallout report with link names (s.tl() call) without creating pageview with s.t().

                        Would you be kind enough to explain how it's done?

                        Thanks
                        Sid

                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Samrat Dsouza" <urdudesamy@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Sid
                        >
                        > Yes, as Craig and Kevin stated, it can be done.
                        >
                        > I suggest you do a sample trial and error method to have facts cleared before you move ahead, as these are basics of Omniture.
                        >
                        > s.tl(), can record all eVars, props and events.except s.pageName. - That's why it doesn't inflate pageviews when used. It has an extra step for variables being declared and called though.
                        > s.linkTrackVars = "eVar1,eVar20,events"; //list all variables to be set in the call, here.
                        > s.linkTrackEvents = "event11";
                        > followed by usual variables being declared which need to be set.
                        >

                        > s.t(), is the basic call which omniture uses be default to record page views and obviously does record all eVars, props and events.
                        >
                        > You'd need to clear variables, that were set in the previous call in case you don't need them and have a new set of variables for the call.
                        >
                        > Last but not the least, Form steps on the same page.
                        > Just make sure business is fine by capturing those steps as pages and in turn inflating page view counts.
                        > I'd build a funnel analysis solution instead and avoid inflating page views and use s.tl() instead.
                        >
                        > Omniture solutions should be aligned to business and reporting than being tech solution.
                        >
                        > Hope it's clear and good to go.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Samrat D'souza
                        >
                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Sid" <syedspiky@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Craig
                        > >
                        > > Thanks but I think I haven't been able to communicate my question well.
                        > >
                        > > I actually would like to fire a new custom eVar and sProp with the virtual page view tracking s.t() call. Is this theoretically possible with s.t() call? Hope this makes sense now.
                        > >
                        > > Many thanks
                        > >
                        > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Scribner" <craigdscribner@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > No Sid that's absolutely wrong. s.t() is the function you're already using
                        > > > right now to capture all of your eVars and sprops on each of your static
                        > > > pages. All I'm talking about is firing that identical function when specific
                        > > > items are clicked or specific states are rendered in your Ajax.
                        > > >

                        > > > The only thing you have to be careful about is that all of the Omniture
                        > > > variables that you populated on the host page will still be populated if you
                        > > > just fire off the s.t() event again. So you want to set all of the props and
                        > > > eVars and anything else you populated, like channel or server etc, to
                        > > > blanks, otherwise they'll all get re-submitted on each of your virtual
                        > > > pages.
                        > > >

                        > > > Best regards,
                        > > >
                        > > > Craig
                        > > >
                        > > > 801.836.8507

                      • Samrat Dsouza
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 27, 2012
                          Hi Sid

                          First, one needs to formulate funnel reporting variables and events.

                          e.g.
                          eVar10=funnel name

                          for funnel step1 set event1
                          funnel step2 set event2
                          funnel step3 set event3
                          so on...

                          If you need further detailing set funnel step identifiers too into a variable, which is always used for funnel steps.
                          eVar12=funnelstepidentifier(name or step or both)

                          based on step, just set these variables using s.tl(), when the ajax screen loads for that step.
                          eVar10=funnel name;
                          eVar12=funnelstepidentifier;
                          s.events=event

                          When one has fired all valid funnel events on respective ajax screen. Go ahead and build a funnel report based on those events or funnel step Identifier eVar.

                          Hope, it's clear now.

                          Just a tip, it's of utmost importance that, whenever a new solution is built it shouldn't disturb any other numbers from a business perspective. Always looks at numbers from a marketeer's perspective, at the end of day these numbers are used to make a business decision.

                          Thanks
                          Sam
                          Samrat D'souza