Mobile Site Tracking in Google Analytics

  • webber analytics
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2012
      Can anyone suggest a best practice for tracking mobile sites within Google
      Analytics?

      Currently we have our main site www.site.com going to UA-XXXXXX-1
      We are developing a mobile site m.site.com

      We are planning to implement GA server side tracking on m.site.com as per:
      https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/other/mobileWebsites

      1) Should m.site.com also point to UA-XXXXXX-1 to consolidate our reporting
      data and I could just create filters to separate them if I need to? or is
      it best practice to point it to a separate account instead i.e. UA-XXXXXX-2?

      2) I'm assuming if we implement the server side tracking we should not
      implement the ga.js code on m.site.com's pages?

      3) Is server side tracking really needed or could we implement ga.js on the
      mobile pages and still be ok?

      Thanks for any help!

    • Damien
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2012
        It makes sense not to include ga.js into the code if you have the server
        side included. Pointing to the same property ID and using a new profile
        with filters to seperate the mobile from will work.

        For mobile devices which don't execute JS the server side is important, how
        accessiable will your website be for users on older technology phones?

        You might want to take a look at this:
        http://searchengineland.com/one-url-to-rule-them-all-for-mobile-seo-115366

        Damien