Re: Tagging for both Site Catalyst and Google Analytics

  • Yuhui
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2012
      Hi Adam,

      Omniture's getQueryParam() is your friend. It can form a tracking code for your campaign from several URL queries. So use that with GA's "utm_*" tags and you're done.

      I'm sure Omniture Engineering would have devised a plug-in that does all of the heavy-lifting coding for you, so ask them about this.

      Regards,
      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Adam Boettiger <boettiger@...> wrote:

      > I tag my campaigns for Omniture Site Catalyst with extsrc= in order
      > for the query string parameter to be passed to Site Catalyst.
      >
      > Is there a politically correct way to also incorporate utm parameter
      > tagging with this such that it gets into both Site Catalyst and Google
      > Analytics?
      >
      > i.e. Would extsrc=utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=this-term
      > work to get into both Site Catalyst and Google Analytics?
      >
      > or do the two not play well together?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Adam
      > --
      > Adam Boettiger
      > Phone: 503.616.8968 - Email: adam@...
      > http://adamboettiger.com/

    • jason6346
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2012
        Hi Adam,

        If im not mistaken It's worth bearing in mind that if you have auto- tagging with your paid traffic in Google Analytics, then SiteCatalyst will not capture this traffic via the getQueryparam utm code amendment. Does anyone have any work arounds for that one?

        Jason

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Adam Boettiger <boettiger@...> wrote:

        > I tag my campaigns for Omniture Site Catalyst with extsrc= in order
        > for the query string parameter to be passed to Site Catalyst.
        >
        > Is there a politically correct way to also incorporate utm parameter
        > tagging with this such that it gets into both Site Catalyst and Google
        > Analytics?
        >
        > i.e. Would extsrc=utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=this-term
        > work to get into both Site Catalyst and Google Analytics?
        >
        > or do the two not play well together?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Adam
        > --
        > Adam Boettiger
        > Phone: 503.616.8968 - Email: adam@...
        > http://adamboettiger.com/

      • john_henson_qed
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2012
          What if you captured the gclid attribute and placed it in a custom variable in GA.

          Then capture gclid in your s.campaign variable in omniture.

          Then use GA to match gclid to campaign attributes.

          Then you uses that GA joined gclid -> campaign attributes and export that to SAINT in omniture.

          I don't know if this would work. Just an idea.

          And use the GA
          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jason6346" <darkus1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Adam,
          >
          > If im not mistaken It's worth bearing in mind that if you have auto- tagging with your paid traffic in Google Analytics, then SiteCatalyst will not capture this traffic via the getQueryparam utm code amendment. Does anyone have any work arounds for that one?
          >
          > Jason
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Adam Boettiger <boettiger@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I tag my campaigns for Omniture Site Catalyst with extsrc= in order
          > > for the query string parameter to be passed to Site Catalyst.
          > >
          > > Is there a politically correct way to also incorporate utm parameter
          > > tagging with this such that it gets into both Site Catalyst and Google
          > > Analytics?
          > >
          > > i.e. Would extsrc=utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=this-term
          > > work to get into both Site Catalyst and Google Analytics?
          > >
          > > or do the two not play well together?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Adam
          > > --
          > > Adam Boettiger
          > > Phone: 503.616.8968 - Email: adam@
          > > http://adamboettiger.com/

        • Samrat Dsouza
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2012
            Hi Jason

            Well how i'd approach it is, to build a blueprint for campaign tagging on a whiteboard.

            First look at tagging and how it should be translated, to be meaningful for each tool.

            e.g. extrc=widget-cpc-google-searchterm
            is sent to GA as utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=this-term

            and Omniture as clid=widget-cpc-google-searchterm or even clid=widget-google

            Alternatively for gclid, too.

            Then there should be a site specific plugin built to feed data to both GA and Omniture using getQueryparam, based on the translation. Think of the logic of a Tag manager tool, ;).

            So, first plot the translation and then ask a JavaScript guy to do what's needed.

            Hope this helps.

            Thanks
            Samrat D'souza