Re: EU Cookie Directive & Effect on Ad Revenues

  • Matthias Bettag
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      I just want to mention that the term "cookie law" or "cookie directive" is
      misleading. Yes, cookies are the most common technology for identifying a
      visitor, but in fact the directive is about privacy. It does not matter
      which technology is used. What is required is getting user consent
      regardless of the tracking method (cookie, IP, login, device ID,
      fingerprint, ... ...).

      Also, I do not think it is helpful to draw a picture where the authorities
      might become "cookie nazis", as ourself could quickly be named "tracking
      nazis" in return.. I'd rather have a more constructive discussion. (don't
      get me wrong Steve, I understood this was only a description and in
      quotation marks, not meant as an insult, but imho we should be a little
      more careful here)

      The intention of the privacy regulation is not senseless. It does not help
      us to blame authorities for a lack of technical understanding.
      In other words (now I am drawing a picture..): One does not need to know
      how a motor is constructed when requiring a speed limit in front of a
      school.

      Instead we have to explain our profession, our methods, and the reason for
      tracking and targeting. All this must be made transparent and controllable
      for an end-user. This is certainly challenging, but our industry has
      probably not made the very best job in terms of transparency so far. The EU
      directive is just a logical consequence of this. Now, it's on us to find
      solutions, as well as educating about what we do in an honest and
      transparent way.
      I am confident that neither the online business will die, nor that we
      cannot use and track any data any more. But we need to do some homework..

      best,
      Matthias

      --

      Matthias Bettag