Re: Manually tag or auto-tag or some variation of both?

  • Yuhui
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2012
      Hi Breanna,

      I personally prefer auto-tagging because, as the name suggests, it's done automatically. You have zero chance of human error, except when you forget to turn it on in AdWords.

      Note, though, that AdWords' "gclid" parameter gets "translated" into GA's familiar utm_source/medium/campaign/content/term tags for populating the respective GA reports. ValueTrack allows you to include other AdWords-specific queries in your URL, but these won't be recorded in GA (assuming you're using GA's default tag in your pages).

      With that in mind:

      1. There might be a strong case to use manual tagging to support your LTV and Churn data collection. *Or* if you're afraid of human error *and* you don't need the adgroup and/or keyword-level data, then I think you might be able to do your work by creating a new URL query and set of codes that your DB can record automatically. E.g. campaigns A, B and C can use a code "foo", campaigns D and E can use "bar", etc.

      2. You could do some creative JavaScript coding here. First, get your A/B JavaScript code in place in your pages. Then use a condition to test for the "gclid" value in the _utmz cookie. If it's there, run the A/B code. If it's not there, don't run the code.

      Regards,
      Yu Hui
      Twitter: @yuhui