Re: EU Cookie Directive & Effect on Ad Revenues

  • ju2ltd
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 3:11 AM
      Steve - so if a site were to become compliant and a significant number of their users opt out of 3rd party cookies will they loose ad revenue?

      Jim.

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bashiri" <stevebash@...> wrote:

      > Will Ad revenue be effected? Yes. Will the EU eCommerce revenue be
      > effected? Yes, in the short term. Will most EU web sites follow this
      > directive to the tee? No. Many governments know how difficult it is to
      > enforce this, and are already back-pedaling on the language of the law.
      > According to Business Insider, the British government has amended its
      > version of the directive to include that it is ok for web sites to obtain
      > user's "implied consent" to be cookied. Lets face it, it's the use of
      > cookie to obtain user behavior and retarget them, that is really the reason
      > behind all this fuss. And using cookies to accomplish that is not in danger
      > anytime soon. Even if it was, let's say in EU, and they came hard on all
      > on-line businesses and they turned into cookie Nazis that we all hope they
      > won't become, there are other means of tracking user behavior and retarget
      > them. The fact is governments are not as agile as tech businesses, they
      > just don't move fast enough to keep up with the pace of innovation.
      > Business will find it's cheese, no matter where you hide it.
      >
      > Having said all that, the online marketing and Ad industry must take
      > responsibility and proper measures to keep its practices fair to the user
      > community and each other. This self-policing must be organic and come from
      > within, or, eventually some regulatory body will impose restrictions on
      > their business. And the next time they may have the consent of the
      > majority.
      >

      > Steve Bashiri

    • Matthias Bettag
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
        Hi all,

        I just want to mention that the term "cookie law" or "cookie directive" is
        misleading. Yes, cookies are the most common technology for identifying a
        visitor, but in fact the directive is about privacy. It does not matter
        which technology is used. What is required is getting user consent
        regardless of the tracking method (cookie, IP, login, device ID,
        fingerprint, ... ...).

        Also, I do not think it is helpful to draw a picture where the authorities
        might become "cookie nazis", as ourself could quickly be named "tracking
        nazis" in return.. I'd rather have a more constructive discussion. (don't
        get me wrong Steve, I understood this was only a description and in
        quotation marks, not meant as an insult, but imho we should be a little
        more careful here)

        The intention of the privacy regulation is not senseless. It does not help
        us to blame authorities for a lack of technical understanding.
        In other words (now I am drawing a picture..): One does not need to know
        how a motor is constructed when requiring a speed limit in front of a
        school.

        Instead we have to explain our profession, our methods, and the reason for
        tracking and targeting. All this must be made transparent and controllable
        for an end-user. This is certainly challenging, but our industry has
        probably not made the very best job in terms of transparency so far. The EU
        directive is just a logical consequence of this. Now, it's on us to find
        solutions, as well as educating about what we do in an honest and
        transparent way.
        I am confident that neither the online business will die, nor that we
        cannot use and track any data any more. But we need to do some homework..

        best,
        Matthias

        --

        Matthias Bettag