Re: [webanalytics] The Visits discrepancy in Omniture SC and Discover

  • Damien
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2012
      Hi Cloga,

      The different containers (Visitor, Visit, Page view) uses a methodology to
      de-duplicate your data, each in a slightly different way, with some
      applied by default in SC and selectable in Discover. I don't know exactly
      why the numbers are different between the two systems collecting data from
      the same profile definition, perhaps Judah Phillips knows, Judah?

      When ever I want to report the value of a section within a website, I use
      Paths > Pages > Entries & Exits > Entry pages in SC to report on Visits.
      This only considers the visits which enter my pages, and if I add these
      together I get a number which mostly matches the sum of all visits.

      But this value alone in tells me nothing about the Visits which 'path' from
      elsewhere on my website to arrive at my entry pages. To see the value of
      these 'pathing' visits, I usually correlate the Entry pages report to the
      Pages report for the same period of time, subtracting the value of Entry
      visits from the Entry pages report from the value of Visits in the Pages
      report. This gives me an approximation of the total Visit value of those
      'pathing' to each page name.

      Damien

      On 9 May 2012 01:34, 陈龙 <cloga0216@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi All:
      >
      > I found visits discrepancy in Omniture SC and Discover.Sometimes
      > this discrepancy is little and sometimes is big.How do two product from one
      > company have such discrepancy?
      >
      > An other question is about the visits in SC and Discover.I found the sum of
      > the visits will bigger than the total visits.For example, I breakdown the
      > all visits with campaign type, the sum visits of all the campaign type is
      > bigger than the total visits in the period.I find a an article from
      > knowledge base:
      >
      > Why don't the sum of the *visits* from each row in my SiteCatalyst report
      > equal the total *visits* to my Web site?
      >
      > In any report in SiteCatalyst the sum of *visits* on each row will never
      > equal the total. That is because you cannot sum *visits* without
      > duplication. Suppose the same person *visits* the site through campaign 123
      > and 456 within the same *visit*. The data in report would look something
      > like this:
      >
      > Campaign *Visits*
      >
      > 123 1
      >
      > 456 1
      >
      > Total 1
      >
      > Is it means that in SC and Discover one visit can belong multi-source? If
      > so , then how can we segment visits to different type that not a standard
      > segment of SC.For example I may want to know the visits come from
      > navigation sites, but the sum of the visits from navigation site is not the
      > number I want because there are some duplicate visits.
      >
      > Can anyone give me some suggestions for two question above? Thank you very
      > much.
      >
      > --
      > Best Regards~
      > Cloga