Re: Referral Traffic from google.com/ig

  • appinsights
    Message 1 of 9 , May 17, 2012
      Hi,

      google.com/ig is just the igoogle page of the search engine. Although most users searching from there will most likely be logged in, you can also still use it when you are logged out.

      That said... most users searching from google.com are also logged in, so in my opinion that's all organic searching.

      Rich
      appinsights.co.uk

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "andrew8626" <andrew_janis@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am digging into my referrer reports, and when I break down traffic from Google, the top referring URL is www.google.com/ig. This traffic has no associated keyword, which makes me think that due to Google's recent change, what I'm looking at is actually users that are logged into a Google account. Has anyone else seen this? Would you agree that this traffic should be considered organic search?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Andrew Janis

    • ju2ltd
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17, 2012
        Andrew,

        If these visits were organic searches wouldn't there be a keyword associated with them (if logged in keyword = (not set)) and wouldn't Google Analytics recognise them as organic search.

        I wonder whether these visits are genuine referrels via links with-in igoogle gadgets such as Reader, News, Bookmarks, etc.

        Jim Williams

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "appinsights" <rich@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > google.com/ig is just the igoogle page of the search engine. Although most users searching from there will most likely be logged in, you can also still use it when you are logged out.
        >
        > That said... most users searching from google.com are also logged in, so in my opinion that's all organic searching.
        >
        > Rich
        > appinsights.co.uk
        >
        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "andrew8626" <andrew_janis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I am digging into my referrer reports, and when I break down traffic from Google, the top referring URL is www.google.com/ig. This traffic has no associated keyword, which makes me think that due to Google's recent change, what I'm looking at is actually users that are logged into a Google account. Has anyone else seen this? Would you agree that this traffic should be considered organic search?
        > >
        > > thanks,
        > >
        > > Andrew Janis

      • Bob Willis
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2012
          Hey Jim,

          This would depend on if his analytic's solution is GA. Not all vendors have rolled out a "fix" for google secure search keyword hide.
          But in my experience the string associated with google secure search traffic contained q=& in the query string.
          If you are using some other analytic's tool besides GA you could right a url search&replace rule that would look for google as the referrer and replace q=& with q=No Value&

          Regards,
          Bob

          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2012
            FYI - i know when to use write .

            From: ju2ltd <jim@...>

            To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 8:04 AM

            Andrew,

            If these visits were organic searches wouldn't there be a keyword associated with them (if logged in keyword = (not set)) and wouldn't Google Analytics recognise them as organic search.

            I wonder whether these visits are genuine referrels via links with-in igoogle gadgets such as Reader, News, Bookmarks, etc.

            Jim Williams

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "appinsights" <rich@...> wrote:

            > Hi,

            > google.com/ig is just the igoogle page of the search engine. Although most users searching from there will most likely be logged in, you can also still use it when you are logged out.

            > That said... most users searching from google.com are also logged in, so in my opinion that's all organic searching.

            > Rich

            > appinsights.co.uk

            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "andrew8626" <andrew_janis@> wrote:

            > > Hello,

            > > I am digging into my referrer reports, and when I break down traffic from Google, the top referring URL is www.google.com/ig. This traffic has no associated keyword, which makes me think that due to Google's recent change, what I'm looking at is actually users that are logged into a Google account. Has anyone else seen this? Would you agree that this traffic should be considered organic search?

            > > thanks,

            > > Andrew Janis

          • andrew8626
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2012
              Hi guys,

              Thanks for the feedback. Jim, you're correct that that's how GA handles this traffic, but in this case my client is running NetInsight. Bob, thanks for the feedback. In looking through all my Google referrals, I do not see q=& showing up. What i do show as the top referring URL is http://www.google.com/ig. That URL is typically iGoogle, but it simply makes no sense that they would have that large a percentage of visits from people's iGoogle pages. What seems more likely to me is that traffic is actually secure search. Perhaps NI has some sort of old filter in place or something that is categorizing referrals coming through as q=& and attributing it to iGoogle.

              In any case, thanks much to both of you for your feedback.

              Andrew Janis

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bob Willis <bntwillis@...> wrote:

              > Hey Jim,
              >
              > This would depend on if his analytic's solution is GA. Not all vendors have rolled out a "fix" for google secure search keyword hide.
              > But in my experience the string associated with google secure search traffic contained q=& in the query string.
              > If you are using some other analytic's tool besides GA you could right a url search&replace rule that would look for google as the referrer and replace q=& with q=No Value&
              >
              > Regards,
              > Bob

            • Bob Willis
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2012
                Hey Andrew,

                What version of NI are you running and what specific report are you looking at (Entry Referrer Breakdown)?
                Unless someone has made a change for you, NetInsight would not categorize anything as iGoogle. To see what keywords are being used by your referrers. You can go to Options>Marketing>Keywords. Here you will be able to see what Keyword Parameters are being associated with Google and which Referrers are associated with Google.
                If you want to see how the Referrers are defined, goto Options>Marketing>Referrer Groups, find the Google entry and see how that is defined. Hope this helps.

                Regards,
                Bob

                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2012
                  I think this article might have the answer:

                  http://www.searchmarketingstandard.com/not-provided-keywords-are-on-the-rise

                  Rich
                  appinsights.co.uk

                • ju2ltd
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 18, 2012
                    Bob,

                    Good point I was being a little GA - centric there.

                    Jim.