Trouble with Adobe Sitecatalyst for Digital Publishing

  • larry.cobb
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2012
      I work for an agency the builds digital publications for ipads. We use Woodwings software to build the publications. Woodwings was recently bought by Adobe and is being integrated into Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite. One of the supposed benefits of this integration is the ability to leverage the analytic capabilities of Sitecatalyst. We recently purchased an enterprise license and have a client implementation in progress. It has been 6 weeks. We have a login to our Sitecatalyst account, but it is difficult to tell if the analytics was implemented correctly and we have a long list of questions we need to get answered. But, Adobe will not communicate with us. The documentation for the digital publishing analytics is almost non-existent. The training that Adobe furnished for Sitecatalyst was all directed at website tracking. And, while there are some similarities there are also some big differences that are not addressed anywhere in any of documentation that we have been able to find. We just do not understand the complete lack of cooperation, communication and customer service from Adobe.

      Does anyone have any advice for getting help from Adobe or experience with Sitecatalyst implementations for Digital Publishing?

      Thank you, Larry
    • Damien
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2012
        Hi Larry

        I have never found the big vendors of enterprise analytical kit much help
        after the sales schmooze.

        I use SiteCat and Discover every day, and the quality you get out really
        does depend in the implementation; and how robust that was! My Adobe Rep
        never goes out of their way to see I am getting the best out of the system.
        Same goes for Coremetrics when I had that in a different company.

        Failing responsiveness on their support channels, I publicly tweet at their
        twitter account and get very quick replies ;-)

        After implementation you should have a document detailing the page tagging,
        the s.props and the eVars which have been defined to collect your custom
        data points and success events. If you don't, then you will need to look
        around the admin area of your profile to learn where the different custom
        data points are stored.

        Feel free to hit me up on email.

        Damien
        On May 16, 2012 12:10 AM, "larry.cobb" <lcobb@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I work for an agency the builds digital publications for ipads. We use
        > Woodwings software to build the publications. Woodwings was recently bought
        > by Adobe and is being integrated into Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite. One
        > of the supposed benefits of this integration is the ability to leverage the
        > analytic capabilities of Sitecatalyst. We recently purchased an enterprise
        > license and have a client implementation in progress. It has been 6 weeks.
        > We have a login to our Sitecatalyst account, but it is difficult to tell if
        > the analytics was implemented correctly and we have a long list of
        > questions we need to get answered. But, Adobe will not communicate with us.
        > The documentation for the digital publishing analytics is almost
        > non-existent. The training that Adobe furnished for Sitecatalyst was all
        > directed at website tracking. And, while there are some similarities there
        > are also some big differences that are not addressed anywhere in any of
        > documentation that we have been able to find. We just do not understand the
        > complete lack of cooperation, communication and customer service from
        > Adobe.
        >
        > Does anyone have any advice for getting help from Adobe or experience with
        > Sitecatalyst implementations for Digital Publishing?
        >
        > Thank you, Larry

      • JudahPhillips
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2012
          All the vendors do aspire to customer success and, of course, want people to get value from their implementations.

          Fact is most initial implementations done with or without vendor professional services get stale quickly or "suck" in the most Kaushikian of Ways.

          Vendors prioritize your account based on a number of factors. Primarily the number one concern is "current and then next fiscal quarter or annual revenue" or if you are a reference-able customer. Must hit the quarterly numbers at publicly traded companies; shareholders yadda; thus, if you do not spend more than N amount with a vendor you are unlikely to receive any substantial help with implementation beyond the vanilla implementation you may or may not have when the ink is dry.

          Now the ink is dry, right? If so, what you get is hopefully more than multiple circumlocution and conversation with various support people at levels ranked 1 to 3, which when the conversation becomes meaningful or relevant to helping, will soon end with a emphasis on buying professional services likely long before you have a real solution.

          Assume you have all the business stuff and reporting figured out and documented, which few companies if any really do, then why not spend the money on vendor professional services, hire an alternative consulting firm to improve the Omniture implementation and guide, like Semphonic, or hire an implementation web analyst at your company, or just go low-budget and crack Omniture yourself by continuing to ask around and do what you are doing on social media, reading up on how to do what you need done.

          With big vendors money talks. More than $500k-1M annual spend helps a lot, but social media complaints do help a little bit. Where's Adobe's Ben Gaines? If the big vendor ignores your small fish then move on from that vendor.

          Why not take the budget you have for web analytics technology, eliminate all your vendor relationships by letting the contracts lapse, install a simple Google Analytics tag (or get super-hip and ask comScore for free Digital Analytix).

          Then spend your current vendor budget to hire a person with real experience from the fine folks over at IQWorkforce, then tell your new analyst to read Kaushik and Cutroni if they have not already. My gut says the payback from a business perspective would be greater in the long run than waiting for your cat to bark.

          Why not consider Webtrends for mobile apps if things "suck?" I thought Webtrends did a good job and did not "suck" on the mobile app projects I did with them.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Data Analyst
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2012
            Wow! I did not know comScore's solution was free!

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , May 17, 2012
              comScore's tag, whatever it's called these days: beacon, unified, 360, is
              *free*, but they don't actually give you access to MMX (MediaMetrix).
              comScore's tag does a lot including, I recall, feeding Digital Analytix -
              otherwise known as FrankeNedstat.

              Thus my advice was *literally* to "ask comScore for free Digital Analytix,"
              which they may or may not do. Free proof of concept to replace
              AdoIBMetriGoolytics?

              :-)

              As always,
              Judah